Thread: "Moonshine"

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default "Moonshine"

Hi Everyone,
    OK, I'm smitten by the Grand Budapest Hotel soundtrack. Lots of lutes, mandolins, and bouzoukis. I even downloaded it--a most unusual event for me. Alexandre Desplat has composed almost everything on it--it's great but there's one song, "moonshine" attributed to a traditional folk tune. Not sure of it but it sure sounded familiar, and well, I just have to have the sheet music on that song. Does anyone play it? own the sheet music? Is it possible to post or email directly? Grazie, Sheri
    Last edited by Mandophile; Mar-11-2014 at 2:53pm. Reason: clarification of track title

2. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Default Re: "Moonshine"

I just listened to a few of the cuts and it certainly is interesting. That "moonlight" one sounds like a Russian polka. Bear in mind that sometimes, on these soundtrack albums, they use a title that refers to something in the film, so it is possible that that piece of music may not be called by that title. There are some other pieces that are listed by the Osipov Russian Folk Orchestra. That may be a clue since it sounds like it was played by a balalaika/domra or mandolin orchestra.

It doesn't sound like it would be that difficult to transcribe it in any case. You prob already have played it on accordion, Sheri, but maybe don't remember.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love Wes Anderson, he's been one of my favorite directors since "Rushmore", because like all my favorite directors (e.g. Coen Brothers) he actually cares about music and has an obvious passion for it, and uses it creatively and intelligently. That's not the norm in Hollywood, so the filmmakers who treat music that way always catch my attention and make me want to see all their work. The soundtrack of "Fantastic Mr. Fox" is another favorite. Will have to check out the movie ASAP, thanks for the heads-up!

Don't want to drag this OT, but hope everyone will check out "Inside Llewyn Davis" for the beautiful renditions of "Death of Queen Jane" and "Shoals of Herring".

yes, it sounds a little bit like a Hungarian Czardas. and perhaps you're right, the title may have something to do with what is happening in the movie, but Moonshine makes me think it is rooted in the American folk tradition.

Here's a link to the Amazon MP3 page for the soundtrack, where you can hear some short samples (Moonshine is the last track):

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Budapest...inding_title_0

ImpassionedClosetMusician Tannon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Here's a link to the Amazon MP3 page for the soundtrack, where you can hear some short samples (Moonshine is the last track):

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Budapest...inding_title_0
    Thanks for the link Foldedpath!
    And thanks Amazon, I was able to download that track for FREE! Check it out!

That is a fun little piece. How is the movie? I have actually discovered a lot of "good" movies after listening to and enjoying their soundtracks.
    Jeff

"Let's put our brains together... So that we can forge a-head!" -Oliver Hardy
    > Gibson - 1917 A-4
    > Paris Swing - John Jorgenson Mandolin - MS-140-BK
    > RockyGrass Acadamy - Shanti Mandolin Kit
    > Scorpion Electric - A Model
    > Bowlback

it looks like you can download just that track for free on Amazon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

yes, well, it's public domain so maybe that's why but it's Desplat's arrangement. I really could use a chart or sheet music. Do you think I should be posting in the American folk tradition? I realize some posts seem to lean in the direction of its origin as Russian but maybe it's not. Ideas?

Dave Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    OK, I'm smitten by the Grand Budapest Hotel soundtrack. Lots of lutes, mandolins, and bouzoukis. I even downloaded it--a most unusual event for me. Alexandre Desplat has composed almost everything on it--it's great but there's one song, "moonshine" attributed to a traditional folk tune. Not sure of it but it sure sounded familiar, and well, I just have to have the sheet music on that song. Does anyone play it? own the sheet music? Is it possible to post or email directly? Grazie, Sheri
    Yes, even if you don't like the movie, you must stay till the very end to hear this because you virtually never have a chance to hear anything that resembles a mandolin orchestra in such a great sound setting. I could see Mr. Marshall tackling this perhaps for the Symposium orchestra.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Wow, a great track. After downloading that one for free and listening to some samples of the other tracks, I think I am going to have to download the whole soundtrack! Thanks for posting about it!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

It is sometimes translated as Bright Shines the Moon.
    It is very common among Russian Domra and Balaliaka Orchestras.
    In fact yesterday the U. Wisconsin Folk Orchestra play it as an encore with our guest, Alexander Tsygankov.
    He is the foremost domra play in Russia.

I'm so glad to hear such positive response to this great soundtrack. And thanks to Bill Foley for finding Moonshine! I can't wait to drink from that public domain tradition! Love it!

I was wondering if Tamara Volskaya (domra) plays it on any of her CDs...I must go now and see.
    Last edited by Mandophile; Apr-07-2014 at 9:54pm.

Hi,
    You heard "Bright Shines the Moon," a well-known Russian folk song among the cognicenti. It's also called "Bright Shines the Moon" and "Moonshine." The Russian transliteration is "Svyetit Myesyats." "Svyetit" mean "shines" or "is shining" and "myesyats" means "crescent moon," not the full moon. All balalaika players know it. The standard joke is that when two balalaika players meet on the street, they have to play "Bright Shines the Moon," even if they don't have their balalaikas.

Anyhow, I have a moderately extensive collection of balalaika music, including "Svyetit Myesyats." I'll go see which arrangements I have. I also recommend that you check out the web site for the Balalaika and Domra Association of America (BDAA). The University of Illinois has the largest holding of music for balalaika, domra, balalaika orchestra, etc. Consider getting involved with the BDAA. I've been a member since it first started eons and epochs ago. We hold annual conventions (just like mandolin conventions), issue quarterly newsletters, and do basically what any other musician's organization does.

Wishing you success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Hi Everyone,

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roy Torley For This Useful Post: