Thread: Tag? What's a tag?

Default Tag? What's a tag?

Just posted a message in the Forum and at the bottom of the message pane there is another box asking about a "tag" (up to 5 tags allowed) -- what's a "tag"? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tag? What's a tag?

The formal description is:

Thread tagging is a system that allows user to apply their own keywords (tags) to threads. This can allow users to categorize threads based on the actual content. As such, if used consistently, could be a better way to find a specific topic than a full-text search.

An example might be if you were posting information about Gibson F-5 but you wanted to tag it as a "bluegrass" subject you could do so by adding that as a tag.

I don't have stats to back this up but I'd bet the majority of people on this forum have never used it, don't know what it is and don't care. That's not a criticism of users, it's just the way it is. Personally I find it of very limited use. You can search by tagged threads by going to Advanced Search.

Scott - would you please post a sample so I can see what the tag looks like in the message? I assume the tags show up in the posting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    The formal description is:

Thread tagging is a system that allows user to apply their own keywords (tags) to threads. This can allow users to categorize threads based on the actual content. As such, if used consistently, could be a better way to find a specific topic than a full-text search.

An example might be if you were posting information about Gibson F-5 but you wanted to tag it as a "bluegrass" subject you could do so by adding that as a tag.

I don't have stats to back this up but I'd bet the majority of people on this forum have never used it, don't know what it is and don't care. That's not a criticism of users, it's just the way it is. Personally I find it of very limited use. You can search by tagged threads by going to Advanced Search.

Blog Entries

You assign the tags yourself, if you wish. I think you're imagining this as something it's not. Read up on it here.

Are the tags visible in the message? In your message(s), I presume that the "Mandolin Café - Since 1995" and so forth are signature lines, not tags, yes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    Are the tags visible in the message?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    I presume that the "Mandolin Café - Since 1995" and so forth are signature lines, not tags, yes?
    Yes