Thread: Are there any fiddle forums out there as GREAT as this website?

Question Are there any fiddle forums out there as GREAT as this website?

I'm new to this site and am new at mando, but have played fiddle for years. Sure would be great if there was a fiddle forum like this. Does anyone know of any good ones?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are there any fiddle forums out there as GREAT as this websi

Quite a few actually, none very highly trafficked. Not that that's an indicator of success, but when there's no one around we all know what that produces.

Here's a link to a Google search that lists several.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Not that I've found. Not to sound like some sort of Scott Tichenor Groupie, but the organization and maintenance of this site is far superior to any of the fiddle sites. While a huge part of it is the owner's design and maintenance, the other part is the fractured nature of fiddling. From an instrument standpoint, there are a zillion makers from the 1600's up, so you don't have the conversations about makers like you would in the relatively tiny mandolin-maker community. Plus, without the "one right way" to play tunes mystique of say a Bill Monroe, the sites all become fractured stylistically and never really develop any sort of momentum. Same thing with derivation of tunes. Is it Irish? Scots? Galecian? Cape Breton? North Carolina? Virginia? Waaaaay too many styles to form a cohesive site. And the way a tune is played? Forget it.

The mandolin community is smaller and even though stylistically diverse, a more cohesive bunch, so I think it'a easier to get the momentum for a site of this quality.

But, for Irish it's thesession.org, which has all the music you need, but not so much fiddle talk. There's a great site about James Scott Skinner, essentially the godfather of modern Scots fiddling (if turn of the century is modern, but hey, in trad terms, he's a baby). Again, lots of tunes but nothing much on how to play them. As for anything else? nothing like this.

There use to be a site called Fiddle Fork but I don't think they are around anymore. Maestronet is good for the classical players and is very active. And as mentioned the Session. My three favorites are the Mandolin Cafe, Sax on the Web, and The Banjo Hangout. But the Cafe seems to have best software and members. It would be pretty difficult to find a site with the depth of knowledge and helpfulness as the Cafe.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Try out The Fiddle Hangout.... it has it's adherents and is a "pretty good" site. There are a lot of newbie players but enough old hands that if you have a question you can get some good answers....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by somasnikpoh View Post
    I'm new to this site and am new at mando, but have played fiddle for years. Sure would be great if there was a fiddle forum like this. Does anyone know of any good ones?
    Especially knowing the fact you are not a beginning fiddler, there's really nothing to compare, in my opinion. I'm primarily a fiddle player, also. But the instrument of choice blurs a bit anyway once one gets so far. Then, I think it's more about the tune, music, and musicians. All the Best. FJ