Default Re: Dagger Gordon video

Thanks, Dagger, I really enjoyed that.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Thanks for that , really enjoyed it.
    I've just started learning 'I Bhi Ada'. I'm just a beginner with a looonng way to go.
    Many Thanks
    Iain

Thanks Iain. I Bhi Ada is a good one.

By the way, I just checked in on my last video, and the picture isn't working - only the sound. It used to be all right.
    Is it just me, or can you see the visuals as well?

Cheers
    Dagger
    David A. Gordon

I cannot see the video either. I enjoyed the audio, though!

Gosh, it looks like something has happened to all the videos I put up this year which mostly came from my Facebook page. How strange. They were working last time I looked.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Thanks Iain. I Bhi Ada is a good one.

By the way, I just checked in on my last video, and the picture isn't working - only the sound. It used to be all right.
    Is it just me, or can you see the visuals as well?

Cheers
    Dagger
    The video works fine for me.
    Watching on a Mac with Sierra system.
    Iain

Dagger,

On iPad (after clicking on the Facebook cookie message), I only see part of the video screen, but get sound OK.

Regards,

Hi Dagger. I have just checked back through your videos from recent postings and more recent ones have a Facebook overlay about accepting cookies. It obscures most of the video image. As a non-user of Facebook I have not clicked on the "Accept Cookies" button, so the videos are now not available to me. Possibly FB has brought in some new policy? Maybe something to do with some election that was going on over in the USA reently?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thanks guys.
    I guess in future I will need to use a different approach.

Hey John, I don't think you need to be 'on' Facebook to look at the videos on somebody's Facebook page, so you can (if you want) watch some of my stuff on my FB page. It's not all mandolin either. I did a few guitar ones this summer for example.

If you scroll down the page a bit you'll see a 'Videos' section

https://www.facebook.com/daggergordon/
    David A. Gordon

UPDATE

Try going full screen on the recent videos. For some reason it seems to work like that.

Thanks for your help guys.
    David A. Gordon

Hi David, I went to your FB page and the videos seem fine there, so it must be something happening when they are linked to the Mandolin Cafe site. i have had a look at your stuff on your FB page previously but did not want to click on anything on that notice about the cookies. The Seagull sounds good - is that one of the L'Arrive and Godin stable?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

Yeah, Seagull are made by Godin (as are Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie etc).

I now have 2 Seagull instruments. The guitar I think you're referring to (which didn't cost much at all) and the small mandolin which I often travel with, which is not expensive either, but plays really easily and is surprisingly loud.

Thanks for checking my stuff out.

Regards

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

This is a tune which I recorded on my Highland Mandolin album in 1988. It is called Walter Douglas MBE, written by Donald MacLeod.

David A. Gordon

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Great stuff! Your Sobell rings like a bell so it does!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

17. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I quite often do some practise when I'm finishing my breakfast. This is a Scottish jig called The Lads O' Dunse, played on my powerful wee Collings mandolin.

David A. Gordon

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ah, the benefits of having a good breakfast to start the day. I think my porridge is ready now, Dagger. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Ah, the benefits of having a good breakfast to start the day. I think my porridge is ready now, Dagger. Thanks for posting.
    Needless to say my breakfast was indeed porridge, John. I was finishing my tea as I played!
    David A. Gordon

Could I have some of that porridge?!

I think you need to do a video of you playing the strathspey, Brochan Lom (bare porridge), David.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Last edited by Thaitriplet; Oct-16-2023 at 10:16pm.

25. The following members say thank you to Thaitriplet for this post:

Mr Gordon, what do think are the main differences between Scottish jigs and Irish jigs? Is there any difference? Some of my non-playing pals often say 'that's an Irish jig' or 'that's a Scottish jig' but they find it difficult to say why. What do you think? Thanks for the great Mandolin music.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaitriplet View Post
    Mr Gordon, what do think are the main differences between Scottish jigs and Irish jigs? Is there any difference? Some of my non-playing pals often say 'that's an Irish jig' or 'that's a Scottish jig' but they find it difficult to say why. What do you think? Thanks for the great Mandolin music.
    Well in fact it is quite difficult to say why, even if you might know it when you hear it.

People dance to these tunes, and that might make a difference to how they are played. For example, the dance Strip The Willow requires hard driving jigs, and Irish tunes can fit well into such a dance actually, but a dance such as Hamilton House which also uses jigs is played at a slightly more measured pace.

We also have quite a regional variation in Scotland, with different styles between the area around Aberdeen in the North East and the Gaelic influenced West Coast etc.

Also tunes might be defined as pipe tunes, because the pipes have a limited range of notes which they are able to play, but nonetheless these are often played by other instruments.

Obviously a lot of tunes are quite recently composed and may not necessarily sound particularly Scottish. It depends who wrote them, I guess, but such tunes can get played a lot.

And often the clue is in the name. The tune I played here is called The Lads O' Dunse. I don't know the origin of it, but there is a town called Duns on the Scottish/English border so I assume it is some reference to that, with some sort of archaic spelling, but that might be quite mistaken.

So I can't really say what the differences are between Irish and Scots. They are pretty similar much of the time.
    David A. Gordon

28. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

A friend of mine who is a fiddle teacher and well versed in our Scottish tunes said to me that Scottish jigs tend to be played with more swing to the triplets while Irish jigs are played with a straighter feel, but as Dagger so clearly explains above, there is a lot more to it than that, including regional variations, original instrument (such as bagpipes), type of dance being coupled to the tune and many more subtleties. If you listen to several players delivering the same jig you will very likely hear several versions coming out. Just enjoy them all however played and whether Irish or Scottish.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

This is a wee video I made early this morning after my porridge. This is my arrangement of an old reel called The Cross Of Inverness, which I have set to a slightly different rhythm. I'm playing my 10 string Sobell mandolin.

David A. Gordon

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Thanks for sharing these, Dagger. Wonderful.

34. The following members say thank you to JAMaantay for this post: