Thread: clamping conundrum

Default clamping conundrum

Hi all -
    I could use some help figuring this one out--

I am working on a flat bodied mando for a customer. It is probably 1920's era, and has a very shallow body cavity and small soundhole. It came to me with a cracked top and inspection revealed cracked top braces -- which are transverse. It was easy to fix the ones closest to the soundhole, but for the ones further back, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to clamp it.

Problem is, anything long enough to reach the braces is too long to fit in through the soundhole-- there's not enough depth to allow for "swing" room -- kind of like trying to move a long sofa in a small doorway and around a corner. I've tried all the usual clamps-- cam, c, guitar bridge clamps - even the nifty StewMac scissor jack is too big to fit inside this little mando.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome. This is an instrument with not a lot of monetary value, but it does have sentimental value to the customer. I think he and I are in agreement that major surgery (e.g. taking off the top or back) would be overkill in terms of expense. His goal is to stabilize the instrument to where it could be played.

thanks in advance
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Default Re: clamping conundrum

Maybe you could fabricate something that would work with a miniature turnbuckle like so:
    http://www.savacable.com/pages/prod_02_05.html
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by otterly2k View Post
    Hi all -
    I could use some help figuring this one out--

I am working on a flat bodied mando for a customer. It is probably 1920's era, and has a very shallow body cavity and small soundhole. It came to me with a cracked top and inspection revealed cracked top braces -- which are transverse. It was easy to fix the ones closest to the soundhole, but for the ones further back, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to clamp it.

Problem is, anything long enough to reach the braces is too long to fit in through the soundhole-- there's not enough depth to allow for "swing" room -- kind of like trying to move a long sofa in a small doorway and around a corner. I've tried all the usual clamps-- cam, c, guitar bridge clamps - even the nifty StewMac scissor jack is too big to fit inside this little mando.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome. This is an instrument with not a lot of monetary value, but it does have sentimental value to the customer. I think he and I are in agreement that major surgery (e.g. taking off the top or back) would be overkill in terms of expense. His goal is to stabilize the instrument to where it could be played.

thanks in advance
    KE
    Magnets?

Seems like the StewMac "experts" thing had something about this.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

yeah, I think magnets might be where I'm headed next -- still looking for a clamping option if one exists
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, magnets. Rare earth magnets are wonderful for this sort of thing. But you may have to do the job a little at a time. I've found that trying to get them into place can lead to some blood blisters and cursing if I try to get too many in at a time. You may have to make a caul of some sort that you tape to the magnet.

I have used a product called "friendly plastic" for this. It is a plastic (little beads) that can be put in hot water and then molded to a shape, cooled and then shaped if necessary with files etc. It can be used over and over, I have made a faux brace and shaped the plastic around it, embedded the magnets in the plastic, (2 stacked and pairs spaced (pair near each end of caul), make sure same poles are up) Cool and removed the cooled plastic caul from the faux brace. Now the difficult part, cleaning joint if brace is loose from the top and then getting the glue in. Then get the plastic caul in place on the brace and after putting some paper on top to protect finish put the magnets on to pull the brace into place. I usually us 3/4" magnets in the caul and have used 1" on the top. Hope that is understandable. Put the magnets down very carefully on the top, they can jump and really dent the surface, also can pinch fingers and cause blood blisters, don't ask how I know.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Check out Frank Ford's "take-apart" clamp...
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...ntedclamp.html

Depending on the amount of accessible space you have available, wood wedges may be an option for the cracked braces. Make 2 wedges of the appropriate size, anchor the first one w/double stick tape and push the second one in on top of the first until it makes contact with the cracked brace and closes up the crack.

9. The following members say thank you to J Caldwell for this post:

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Now that's one for me to file away for future use myself! Simple yet perfect...
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

I think that is a great name for a band made up of luthiers: "Clamping Conundrum". Thanks, Karen! Also, glad to see you are doing that luthier job. I still have the box of parts -- I intend to put it together one day.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

For magnets: Find someone in the computer repair business and pick up a few bad hard drives. Take them apart and you'll have the strongest rare earth magnets you'll ever find.

I'm reluctant to even talk about the other thing I've done in this situation but here goes. I actually forced a portion of a bicycle inner tube inside a mandolin when I couldn't reach the spot and inflated it to push up a loose brace. The down side is that if you inflate too much you'll explode the mandolin.

I'd go with the magnets.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Something along the lines of a violin soundpost, with a Y-shaped top would probably be my solution. Can't beat a stick for simplicity.

I agree. "Setting a soundpost" then clamping the outside of the instrument over the "sound post" works pretty well. I also like the two wedges idea though. Either way, clamping the outside of the instrument helps close the gap at the brace without stressing the structure of the instrument as much as just forcing something inside between the top and back.

This gives me an idea for a devise for situations like this... I'll have to think about this one for a while...

Some kind of adjustable jack for the "soundpost" would probably work...

I agree. "Setting a soundpost" then clamping the outside of the instrument over the "sound post" works pretty well.
    I have glued hundreds of braces using popsicle sticks cut to the proper length and wedged in place. My exterior 'clamp' is often nothing more than two slats with holes drilled in the ends, coupled with spool clamps.
    John

I have glued braces using a lever approach. I apply pressure to the end of a wooden rod thru the sound hole and it rises like a lever in the depth of the instrument to glue the brace in hard to get area's.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You also have to figure out how to get the glue in the right places, with minimal mess.

Oh, for magnets I have used K&J. Take a look at their web site and learn a lot about magnets, then order what you think you will need. Can't have too many magnets.

This community ROCKS -- these are some excellent ideas and I really appreciate the help! I have friendly plastic and some magnets, but I think I might try the popsicle stick / sound post method first... and you are right - getting the glue in there is going to be challenging too.

Thanks so much!
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~