Thread: 1920-21 Gibson F4 value?

Default 1920-21 Gibson F4 value?

Hi all, I acquired this as part of a trade a while ago.
    I haven't gotten around to fixing this up as I had originally planned to, now I have my sights on a guitar and am looking to move this out, and for advice on value for this F4.

I've heard this is a Loar made directly or indirectly even though its Pre era... Not sure if that's true. I believe it to be all original, late '20 serial. Pat numbers on the bridge? The back seam near the neck has separated some; one of the points has partly come apart, the wood is there but the celluloid cap is missing so it minimal. Otherwise its pretty good no cracks or issues aside some fret wear. Check out the original case and candy.
    Input on what to expect on value or offers considering repairs or other needed would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: 1920-21 Gibson F4 value?

Few others:

Serial number? FON (stamped on neck block) number? Those strings are pretty high at the 12th fret - is that the bridge or the neck?

I hope the tension is off those strings.
    Jim Richmond

With the back coming off/separating from the neck block assembly, there is a lot of string tension pulling on the neck...you might want to take the strings off or detune them. The tuners are after 1918, and as there is no truss rod, the manufacture date is probably between 1919 and 1920...the FON number will allow a more accurate determination. The bridge in the case looks like it's the original one, not the one now on the mandolin. Not so easy to reglue obvious separations and get neck alignments right etc....best left to experts. Your basket case, as is, might fetch $2k...less if sold on line. Lots of risks as to cost of repairs.
    Norman E. Pfeifer

Right, it's worth restoring ... if it can be restored. Hard to tell how best to put the neck right from these photos.

Lloyd Loar was not directly involved in the building of instruments. He was an "idea man" and quality control guy. Only Master Model instruments have his signature, and the F4 was not a Master Model instrument.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Got some major issues: back separation, that messed-up point, bridge is almost all the way down but the action's sky-high. Take the string tension off it immediately! And I'd take it to a good restorer (or forward your pics), and get an estimate for its restoration. Without some idea of how much it'd cost to get it into playing shape, hard to say what its market value is.

Good condition F-4's appear to be selling for $4-6K (dealer prices). If you get half the lower price, I'd say you're doing well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

To me, this does not look like a difficult repair. I believe the $estimates given to be low. Once repaired this instrument should easily be workth $4K or more. I (from the pictures) see a $500 max repair bill unless something major is hidden. Everything looks more or less clamp and glue and move on.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Definitely worth doing the restoration on this! I would suggest finding a very good Luthier in your area that has experience with these older instruments. It will add to the value of the Mandolin in the long run...if you do...instead of the quick/cheap fix. Hard to tell from pictures everything that might need to be worked on...very often these necks will have a bow one way or another. Also would get it in a proper humidity (45%-55%) to help mitigate any other issues.

What Darryl said.... Looks like a nice straight F-4 that needs mainly hide glue and clamping up. Probably lived in a hot attic for a while. If a good repairman does the work it shouldn't be over $500 - maybe less if things want to go back into place easily - and be virtually undetectable. Looks like the original bridge in the case but that appears to be an original Gibson adjustable bridge from the 20's on the mandolin now. Mucho potential.

If you post where you live geographically, I am sure that someone can recommend a good luthier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
    Hi all, I acquired this as part of a trade a while ago.
    I haven't gotten around to fixing this up as I had originally planned to, now I have my sights on a guitar and am looking to move this out, and for advice on value for this F4.
    Whoops... should have read your original post. I guess you want to sell it. You should post a free ad in the Classifieds. You can't sell directly here in the Forums. If and when it sells be sure to contribute to the site. Good luck.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2-3X that of an A4.. paddle-head.

yea this is not where you sell things , the post gets deleted if you are too blatant.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

IMHO 1921 is an excellent year for Gibson mandolins esp F4s. Thew cost of repair depends on who you take it to, your geographic location (I live in an area where the top luthiers do charge more) and (the big if) what faults may not be evident from the photos. A good luthier should be able to give you a solid estimate with the instrument in hand but occasionally even the best out there will come up on some problems once the instrument is on the bench.

I would still think that the luthier will have to get to the neck joint and see what is going on there and may need to at least partially remove the back to get to it. Considering that this was prob stored in an overly dry and heated environment, it is quite possible that there are some loose braces, some top sinkage and possibly some neck warpage.

My experience is always to assume there are worse problems than those that obviously manifest themselves. That way I am pleased when there are less problems.

If you are looking to sell sooner than later I would have to agree with Allen as to what the asking price should be.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

It looks like he is letting the market decide the value with a low starting bid. Started at what? $5? Now up to $1225. it will be interesting to see where it ends up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

now at $1775 with 8 days to go.
    Jim Richmond