Thread: Automatic Notation

Smile Automatic Notation

Hi!

I just want to show you what we're working on here in Sweden :-)

I know I'm plucking my own strings here, but I really think this technology can be useful in the world of mandolins and banjos, and we're really looking for feedback to develop this further!

(note that there are no settings or click-track, I just press "rec")

Here is the sheet after 1 minute of editing in ScoreCloud Studio:
    http://my.scorecloud.com/song/60dfa2...52372c3c292bd2

These edits could also have been made directly in the app.

Here is the notation as originally analyzed by the ScoreCloud Express app:
    http://my.scorecloud.com/song/bf11b1...9b7cfa5082905d

ScoreCloud Express app: http://scorecloud.com/express
    ScoreCloud Studio: http://scorecloud.com/get-studio

The tune "Lily the Robber" is written by Lisa Klevebrant, Erik Ronström and Clara Andemo and is recorded on our album "Krack".

Thank you for your time!
    / Johan, ScoreCloud
    Last edited by johanr; Mar-27-2014 at 11:31am.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Automatic Notation

Linux version? Come on, guys, there has to be a Linux version.
    Cool app, though.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

3. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

derbex 

Pretty slick!

No linux version yet I'm afraid, we're still in late beta for the desktop software. We have had people trying to get an earlier version to work in Wine, not sure if it did, but the feature request is duly noted :-)
    Thanks!

Wow, this is amazing! I think this is the first time I've seen notation possible by playing an instrument without the need for a MIDI interface or special MIDI keyboard. How will it handle something with more than one note playing at the same time, like a guitar or a small group (trio, etc.)? Is that possible yet?

jack

Blog Entries

So the software figures out the key signature and time signature, and notates accordingly? Wow that is pretty cool.

I would use that on all my field recordings from various jams and festivals of the past umpty ump years. Till now I have done it manually, and it sure takes time. At first it was gigantic for learning mandolin - but it quickly becomes a real chore.

So I could go to a jam, record it, run it through the app and produce a tune book of that days jam. Very very cool.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

We think it's pretty cool too! :-D

The current audio input is monophonic only, meaning one note at a time. We're working on polyphonic too, but that's way harder, as you can imagine :-)

But you can of course record one instrument at a time and combine the voices in the desktop software.

You can use MIDI input in the desktop software and play several voices at a time. It will determine the key and time for you, and separate the voices into staves automatically :-)

If you use it on jam sessions the app could get confused by all the background noise and people playing different versions and chords etc, but it's worth a try! Also, it will try to notate everything it hears, so when I use it I try to scale away ornaments and keep talkative friends further away from the mic ;-)
    Last edited by johanr; Mar-27-2014 at 2:37pm.

So I got sucked and downloaded from iTunes to my iPad. This ends going to a page that has no return and I can't leave that page. Useless. I tried to download aversion to my laptop, it won't download. iTunes support absolutely sucks, I can't get back to them for a refund!
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 804
Size:  9.9 KB
    Needless to say I'm somewhat pissed.

Hmm, that is very strange.. Is this inside Apple's App Store or inside the ScoreCloud Express app?

If it's in the App Store and your money has been drawn, you should be able to download the app. If you can't, email our support email: support@scorecloud.com so we can help you get in ASAP!

For your laptop, are you downloading the installer (Windows or OSX) from http://scorecloud.com/download/ ? What is the error message?

I don't think I have heard reports of these bugs before.. We will of course try to fix this as soon as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by johanr View Post
    Hmm, that is very strange.. Is this inside Apple's App Store or inside the ScoreCloud Express app?

If it's in the App Store and your money has been drawn, you should be able to download the app. If you can't, email our support email: support@scorecloud.com so we can help you get in ASAP!

For your laptop, are you downloading the installer (Windows or OSX) from http://scorecloud.com/download/ ? What is the error message?

I don't think I have heard reports of these bugs before.. We will of course try to fix this as soon as possible!
    I downloaded both directly from iTunes. On my laptop it didn't download at all although iTunes says that it is downloaded. On the iPad, it downloaded and i accidentally pressed the record button. I turned it off and it went to a page labelled new song. On that page there is no way to go back (or anywhere) and you can't delete anything. There is also no usage guide nor troubleshooting info anywhere either.

We think it's pretty cool too! :-D

The current audio input is monophonic only, meaning one note at a time. We're working on polyphonic too, but that's way harder, as you can imagine :-)

But you can of course record one instrument at a time and combine the voices in the desktop software.

You can use MIDI input in the desktop software and play several voices at a time. It will determine the key and time for you, and separate the voices into staves automatically :-)

If you use it on jam sessions the app could get confused by all the background noise and people playing different versions and chords etc, but it's worth a try! Also, it will try to notate everything it hears, so when I use it I try to scale away ornaments and keep talkative friends further away from the mic ;-)
    What about recording from another recording?

I was kidding about the Linux, though I do use Ubuntu mainly. But you could just go next door and ask Linus to port it over for you. :-)
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

The free desktop application ScoreCloud Studio is downloaded from http://scorecloud.com/download/ , the iOS app ScoreCloud Express should not be possible to download from itunes on a desktop device.. Sounds strange that iTunes said it was downloaded on a laptop. But I see that you have sent email to our support, and I hope they can sort this out for you!

We're looking at the possibility to import pre-recorded audio files for analysis, but it is not availiable yet. Keep a lookout!

I also use Ubuntu at home, but now we are focusing on getting out of the beta period and release on Windows and MacOSX. After that, who knows ;-)

The free desktop application ScoreCloud Studio is downloaded from http://scorecloud.com/download/ , the iOS app ScoreCloud Express should not be possible to download from itunes on a desktop device.. Sounds strange that iTunes said it was downloaded on a laptop. But I see that you have sent email to our support, and I hope they can sort this out for you!

We're looking at the possibility to import pre-recorded audio files for analysis, but it is not availiable yet. Keep a lookout!

I also use Ubuntu at home, but now we are focusing on getting out of the beta period and release on Windows and MacOSX. After that, who knows ;-)
    Finally got through to iTunes, they are refunding my $. I downloaded from your site and all went well. It comes with all the necessary info too. The iTunes download comes with no instruction whatsoever.
    Last edited by Mike Bunting; Mar-27-2014 at 6:09pm.

What brilliant people there are in this world!
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Finally got through to iTunes, they are refunding my $. I downloaded from your site and all went well. It comes with all the necessary info too. The iTunes download comes with no instruction whatsoever.
    Great that your problems were resolved, we'll be looking over the instructions in the different places to make things as clear as possible! Thank you for your feedback!

Is there a chance that you could develop an app that will create automatic tab translation for those of us who do not read notation?

We're actually looking at the possibility to play chords to generate tabs! That would be great for me too so I'm surely going to be lobbying for that in the coming development! :-)

This seems like a very nice implementation of a desire that's been around for a long time. I'm very interested in trying it. Is there any reason to choose either the iPad or iPhone app over the other? I'm tending toward iPad for readability.
    Think globally, bike locally.

The app is mainly developed for iPhone so far, so the layout looks nicer, but the iPad version has better readability, and the iPad version has room for more advanced editing capabilities coming in the somewhat near future, so I'd choose the iPad version if I had to choose.

The problem faced by Mike, and others, was solved by our email support, and was because of a bug in the User Interface design:

When you hold your device in landscape mode (lying down) and view a song, you get a fullscreen interface with no back button. The fix is to flip your device to portrait (standing up). In portrait mode you can tap the notation once to get in and out of the fullscreen mode.

Everything is easy if you know it, and we who work with it all day long tend to miss things like these, so it is very valuable with bug reports and feature requests from real people, like you guys!

Thanks, Johan! I have downloaded the iPad app. I am eager to experiment with it this weekend. I'll post a follow-up mini-review here (or at least I *intend* to...)
    Think globally, bike locally.

While searching for this app, I noticed another one called "Pitch to Note +Chord" that looks like it can do the same thing, plus recognize a number of chords. Just curious whether anyone has used that app?

Blog Entries

The scorecloud playback cursor is at least three measures ahead of the sounds on my win 7 laptop.

This idea has been around for a long time. I am glad the technology is finally making it work.
    My next question would be, as others have asked, portability to other forms of notation like TAB. But what about XML and music notation software like Finale? Or ABC?
    ( I just found that the website says it does port to music XML. I'll try it on Finale.)

I am tuning my refrigerator to D so I have a drone in the background. Ha, ha.
    Just brilliant Johan. Keep working!

Hi!

I just want to show you what we're working on here in Sweden :-)

(note that there are no settings or click-track, I just press "rec")

Here is the sheet after 1 minute of editing in ScoreCloud Studio:
    http://my.scorecloud.com/song/60dfa2...52372c3c292bd2

These edits could also have been made directly in the app.

Here is the notation as originally analyzed by the ScoreCloud Express app:
    http://my.scorecloud.com/song/bf11b1...9b7cfa5082905d

ScoreCloud Express app: http://scorecloud.com/express
    ScoreCloud Studio: http://scorecloud.com/get-studio

/ Johan, ScoreCloud
    May I ask what is the instrument you are playing in the video, and what is the instrument propped up in the background?