Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help finding gypsy/spanish/balkan/arabic resources

Blog Entries

Default Re: help finding gypsy/spanish/balkan/arabic resources

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Hike Robby,

If you want to hear something special, lookup Thierry Titi Robin.

Cheers
    I'm with you on that. Essential listening if you are into this kind of thing.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Sweet View Post
    Grr...I ordered that book and it doesn't have common dance forms! It's just a collection of the author's favorite tunes.
    Which book are you referring to, Adam?

I did find this Balkanarama site with some bare-bones sheet music.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-22-2014 at 11:54am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Got in Mel Bay's Gypsy Violin by Mary Ann Harbar
    http://www.amazon.com/Bays-Gypsy-Vio.../dp/078666570X
    It's a collection of 45 Hungarian and Russian melodies transcribed for violin and/or mandolin with chords. While it's certainly not a "fake book", it's a good cross representation of at least the more popular of Slavas entertainment albeit primarily from an urban Hungarian and Romanian origins.

It comes with a CD, which is very helpful.

The musicians are

Greg Harbar - accordion
    David Klingensmith - bass
    Zhenya Kolykhanov - guitar
    Kelly Lancaster - guitar, bass balalaika, mandobass
    Dave Peters - mandolin
    Barry Roberts - guitar, electric bass, bass balalaika
    Alexis Valk - bass

The arrangements are by Greg Harbar, accordionist from Houston-based "The Gypsies".

So what you doin' now Hikerobby?
    Ethnomusic camps? Crete?

I bet you'd like Swedish music, by the way.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by hikerobby View Post
    I'd like to tremolo and sound more spanish or arabic or something. Thats what I need help with.

I don't really even know what I like, I like balkan music like gypsy caravan and I like flamanco and spanish gypsy and arabic music (like with Ouds).
    You may wish to begin delving into Arabic maqam - http://www.maqamworld.com/

BTW, violin is an excellent choice for the music. If you get into oud--there are some very good oud forums too. It's a very deep source of traditional music, obviously; my favorite--having been into flamenco for a long time--is the music from al-andulus

This link : http://www.tousauxbalkans.net/Accueil can be useful...
    There's a lot of vids/tune/sheet music, but it's sometimes very difficult to find something (even if you're a french reader !)
    Usually, I choose a country ("pays"), then I scroll down the page, and I choose in the "Articles dans la catégorie" part...
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Dear all intrested in arabic music and special in Ouds u can check https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hFhAr_I_MMF-IL
    or Simply go to ListenArabic.com where you can find everything about music, lebanese music, egypt music, araic music, arab music, Ouds lessons, all news about sar academy 9, and many other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gallaher View Post
    You might try Gypsy Jazz, also known as Jazz Manouche. It's the only form of Jazz developed outside the United States and is generally credited to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli with their Hot Club of France. Near the end of his life, Grappelli toured with David Grisman, who was a big fan.

Acoustic-based, very "minor" feeling with lots of ornamentation, but still swings like a big freight train and is frequently found in the company of an accordian (that swings!), lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic bass and violin. Gypsy Jazz players also love Latin-flavored tunes (check out "Bossa Dorado").

Visit Youtube for various samples from The Rosenberg Trio, Bireli Lagrene, John Jorgenson, Angelo Debarre, etc.

Instructional materials to get you started are available at www.djangobooks.com, with mandolin chord lessons by the late John McCann here.

I own this and it has some great tunes; NO tab, however. Do searches for Balkan/Russian/ etc tune books WITHOUT specifying MANDOLIN. There are quite a few out there, mostly in fiddle range (which is of course, mandolin range). TAB, however, is more difficult. You might do a search to see if there are any Balkan clubs in your area where you might hear some live music....check for all the nationality clubs and churches. They won't have live music that often, but they are the ones who sponsor the ethnic musicians, usually.
    I LOVE Balkan music, but am only able to play Croatian right now.
    I second the recommendation Allan Alexander's books---with the CDs, you might not need TAB, too. GREAT stuff!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Another recommendation if you still need more resources is the group East European Folklife Center....www.eefc.org. They sponsor a couple Balkan camps each summer that are GREAT, but they also have a listserve where you can ask for music, recording, etc. GREAT resource and the folks on it are SUPER! HIGHLY recommended.
    There are a couple sites for ethnic music that I used to have bookmarked; I bet someone there can give those to you.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer