Thread: The one that got away

Default The one that got away

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. I made a full price offer on a classified item, which I thought was accepted, as we were discussing paypal details, then silence. I thought the internet connection was down or something, the next day I heard from the seller, he had received a higher offer, if I wanted to match it the item was mine as I had been first to reply. I declined even though I had been looking for this very thing for twenty years. Just didn't feel right, I wonder if there even was another buyer. Guess I'll keep looking.

Default Re: The one that got away

If that's the whole truth, looks shady to me. There are less than honest people even here

A blessing in disguise ?

4. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

G7MOF 

Crappy guts in that seller. I once was first CL responder on a bass about 3 hours away. By the time I arrived, the guy had received several higher offers. But he said no and held to our agreement even throwing in some extras (bag, cord and strap). I always remember this when I play that excellent bass.
    Blow on, man.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Have had four deals through the Classifieds this year. Each time the other person was an honorable seller/trader and there were no hitches or surprises. In fact, met some sharp and helpful folk whom i probably may never known otherwise. Hopefully, the OP's experience is the rare exception to a great system.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Taylor Swift lover/fan Cue Zephyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spufman View Post
    Crappy guts in that seller. I once was first CL responder on a bass about 3 hours away. By the time I arrived, the guy had received several higher offers. But he said no and held to our agreement even throwing in some extras (bag, cord and strap). I always remember this when I play that excellent bass.
    IMO that's the right way to do it. If you think you can get more for an item, don't agree to the offer.

Honor seems to be fleeting in so many areas, sad to see it hit the classifieds here.
    The F-3 foolishness on eBay is a prime example of how "testy" things can get.
    Yeah Jay, this could just be a blessing in disguise.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I had the opposite experience today from a craigslist seller. The listing was for a Gibson LGO project. The issues were few and I liked the low price. I was the first caller, I asked the seller's wife to have her husband call me and to let him know that I was the first caller. When he called me back, he said he had been inundated with calls. I said I could get there in the evening after work, the drive was about 1 1/2 hrs. I even offered to pay him in advance with paypal to hold it for me, he declined.

I called before hitting the road to make sure it was still available, it was.
    My fear was that callers would offer more and tempt the seller to reconsider his price. Fortunately that didn't happen.

All in all a great experience.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I sold my Ibanez Musician a couple years back. Got some help from folks here that I still appreciate on how to do it. I didn't know how much that old guitar was really worth, so I went to the Ibanez collector's web site and asked for some help. The offers started coming in. By the end of the day I agreed to sell it to a guy who lived a few hours from me for $2500. Shortly after I got an offer for $3000. A deal is a deal; I stuck with the electronic handshake I had made for $2500. The buyer paid me an extra $100 for sticking to the deal (somehow he knew I had received the higher offer; I kept all offers in confidence, this wasn't an auction). I feel better about honoring the deal than I would have backing out for $400 more.