Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

Default So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

After reading many posts about Blue Chip picks on this and other forums, my curiosity compelled me to try one out. I chose the TD60 because the shape and gauge (1.14) are the same as picks that I use. Playing a Martin guitar and a The Loar mandolin, I used the Blue Chip and compared it to picks I had on hand. I must say that I like this pick. I don't know why, but individual notes and chords sound brighter and more distinct. The pick has a good feel. In a blind test, I played some licks and some chords on the mandolin while a friend of mine (also a musician) listened. Out of three different picks, he chose the Blue Chip every time. Does it make you play better? I don't think so. It does enhance your sound though. Is it worth $35? I don't know. You'll have to decide yourself. The closest pick that is somewhat like the Blue Chip TD60 is Dunlops' Ultex 1.14. The Ultex flexes a little, where as the Blue Chip does not. In my own totally unscientific opinion, the Ultex will give you about 80% of the Blue Chip performance. Let me sum it up this way. I don't plan on plunking down another $35 on a pick, but if I lost this pick or had it stolen, yeah, I would buy another one.

Default Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkay View Post
    After reading many posts about Blue Chip picks on this and other forums, my curiosity compelled me to try one out. I chose the TD60 because the shape and gauge (1.14) are the same as picks that I use. Playing a Martin guitar and a The Loar mandolin, I used the Blue Chip and compared it to picks I had on hand. I must say that I like this pick. I don't know why, but individual notes and chords sound brighter and more distinct. The pick has a good feel. In a blind test, I played some licks and some chords on the mandolin while a friend of mine (also a musician) listened. Out of three different picks, he chose the Blue Chip every time. Does it make you play better? I don't think so. It does enhance your sound though. Is it worth $35? I don't know. You'll have to decide yourself. The closest pick that is somewhat like the Blue Chip TD60 is Dunlops' Ultex 1.14. The Ultex flexes a little, where as the Blue Chip does not. In my own totally unscientific opinion, the Ultex will give you about 80% of the Blue Chip performance. Let me sum it up this way. I don't plan on plunking down another $35 on a pick, but if I lost this pick or had it stolen, yeah, I would buy another one.
    I've never played a BLUE CHIP pick so I cannot comment on its characteristics , how much better it may make an instrument sound , how much easier ( if at all ) it may be to play with one . It may indeed be the best pick available for whatever the reason (s). But if somehow I was ever talked into buying one at that price or got a big-time sponsorship deal for my next international tour, I'd have it chained to my arm so I'd never lose it . I don't think I've spent 35.00 total on all the picks I've bought in my life . I never break them but yes-they DO get lost and if I lost a 35.00 pick I'd probably file a police report . I have many gauges depending on the application ( acoustic guitar , electric bass, electric guitar , mandolin , rhythm parts , lead parts....whatever ). I discovered a DUNLOP 2.0 jazz/bass pick when looking for something to bring out the best tone in my mandolin and its been incredible. It was 60cents. It was so good I splurged and bought 4 .

Roysboy, I would pretty much agree with you except that you have not tried one (I assume). I had the same opinion up until that little package arrived in the mail.

Roysboy, I would pretty much agree with you except that you have not tried one (I assume). I had the same opinion up until that little package arrived in the mail.
    I'm sure those picks must be terrific or they wouldn't get so much attention . I'm just not sure how ,at 35.00 ,they could be over 50X better than the 60 cent Dunlop picks I'm very happy with . Now if I were independently wealthy or didn't have a habit of 'misplacing' picks ........

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    I'm just not sure how ,at 35.00 ,they could be over 50X better than the 60 cent Dunlop picks I'm very happy with
    As with mandolins and sound quality, the relationship between picks and sound quality isn't linear either. Maybe only 10-20x better.
    YMMV...
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Sam I am. I do not like blue chip in hand. That's what I said before I tried one. I got it used here. Along with a red bear. I feel the difference. Hear the difference. I have not done the blind test with listeners but will try. I would replace it. I would like try other sizes, but I agree that with the price where its at, for me its not possible.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I cut my own from an old credit card. Don't know the gauge.

I'm a newbie compared to most everyone here. I had to buy one just out of curiosity . I chose the TAD 60. What I liked about it was the way it would slide across the strings. It seemed effortless. That may be because my technique was not any good to begin with, what ever. I like it, but I later traded it for another, again out of curiosity. I will probably trade again.

As far being worth it. Like I used to tell customers when I sold camera equipment in a pro shop. If people only bought what they needed, we would be out of business quick.
    Giving this another try.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every now and then, I pull out one of my standard picks and play for a while. Then I play with my Red bear for a while, then I go back to my Blue chip. There's really no comparison for my playing style. The Blue Chip wins hands down. It produces great volume, still retains the nice dry sound of other quality picks, and is slick as butter on the strings. It's a lot of money, but it's the best investment for improved tone and playability IMHO.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

10. The following members say thank you to tburcham for this post:

My sons were always struggling to find a good birthday gift for me. Last year they got me the TAD60 model Blue Chip. A very good gift!

I was worried about losing a Bluechip pick if I ever bought one, so I trained myself on V-Picks and tested how long it takes me to actually lose a pick. After 11 months with the same 2 picks (the first one the edges got rough on me from playing) I decided to pull the trigger.

To avoid losing a pick, I just keep the pick under the strings on the fretboard when I'm not playing. Haven't lost a pick in 15 months using this method!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I chose the TD60 because the shape and gauge (1.14) are the same as picks that I use.
    I just wanted to point out that the TD60 is actually 1.5 mm: "The TD is a standard teardrop shape pick with two rounded corners and one sharper playing corner. This is a TD in a 60/1000 of an inch(1.50mm) thickness. All of our picks a professionally machined, hand beveled, and laser etched."

http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/TD60.html
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

14. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

On the matter of losing a $35 BC pick, this is the way it works in real life: when you pay $1 for a pick, you tend not to make the same effort to keep track of it compared to when you pay $35 for a pick. Maybe not 35 times the effort, but a lot more than with a $1 pick. I'm sure there are folks out there to which this behavioral rule does not apply, but not enough of them to seriously challenge the rule.

My apologies, yes the TD60 is indeed 1.5 mm., a small detail that I had forgotten. I don't see too many over the counter store bought picks that are 1.5 mm. The gauge seems to go to 1.14mm, then jumps to 2mm and beyond. A less expensive pick that I like is Dunlops' Big Stubby, but for some reason, Dunlop makes them at 1 mm and 2mm, nothing in between. For my playing style, I find the 1.5 mm gauge to be ideal. I have only had the Blue Chip for a couple of days, and the more I play it, the more I like it. I didn't think that it could have any effect on my playing ability, and was amazed at what it can do for tremolo playing on the mandolin. I don't know how this pick does what it does. Looking at it very closely and comparing it to other picks, I figure that it must be in the bevel cut into the pick.

Not to be in disagreement with those of you that love the blue chip but I went to a picking party a while back and a young lady was playing mandolin and using a blue chip pick, she said she liked the sound of my mandolin and asked if she might play it some, so I let her and she played it with her blue chip and then played it with a pick that I made myself and she asked if I made them to sell and I said no, she paid $35 for a pick that I make for about 25 cents and she liked the home made pick just as well as her blue chip, of course that is one instance and different mandolins I`m sure will sound different with various picks and of course strings make a difference also...But they are not for me at $35 a clip, that's for sure, if you like them that's fine...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Not to be in disagreement with those of you that love the blue chip but I went to a picking party a while back and a young lady was playing mandolin and using a blue chip pick, she said she liked the sound of my mandolin and asked if she might play it some, so I let her and she played it with her blue chip and then played it with a pick that I made myself and she asked if I made them to sell and I said no, she paid $35 for a pick that I make for about 25 cents and she liked the home made pick just as well as her blue chip, of course that is one instance and different mandolins I`m sure will sound different with various picks and of course strings make a difference also...But they are not for me at $35 a clip, that's for sure, if you like them that's fine...

Willie
    I love my blue chips. I haven't found anything else that really compares. But if I could make my own, that sounded as good, for 25 cents, I'd be all over that.

Care to share what kind of material you're using, where you get it, and how you go about making them?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandotrout777 For This Useful Post:

Buying a quality mandolin, paying for a good setup to make it sound it's best, and then skimping on a cheap pick makes no sense to me.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandomurph For This Useful Post:

Although I'm far from wealthy, I don't consider the price of BC picks to be an issue. However, the prospect of losing one is, to me, a concern. In fact, I lost my first BC and waited quite awhile to replace it. Now I have three - TD35, TD50, and TD60. I store them in one of those pick cosies that attach to a key chain. I'd better not lose my keys, though! I used to lose a lot of picks, which I'm not buying any more since I went over to the BC side. So that small savings must be considered. If I'm playing where a dropped pick is at risk I still use conventional picks, though. And everyone should throw a handful of picks into the car for emergencies.

I'll also point out that, just like conventional picks, the thickness of the BC makes a big difference in sound quality which is why I have three.

well
    I can say that the material used in bc is extremely expensive, cos I had a leftover bit from a lab up at CU, and made my own. It aint credit card styrene fer sure.

I can say, that to cut the stuff when its thick, which is especially expensive, and really get an even, fine super polished bevel, takes time and care. I think this is a large part of the BC cost/price.

I have a TAD 60. I bought it, because I was curious after all testimonials, and it was worth it to me to spend $35 to see if the Emperor was clothed or naked.

Its a great pick.
    I make a point to use it a lot, 'cos its so 'spensive. But its not the only pick I use.
    However, I will not replace it, if I lose it. I think....

I use ProPlecs and Golden Gates and Pick Boys (the PEI hi modulus 'reefer' picks are a particular favorite of mine, even if the normal 351 tear drop shape -amazing stuff!) and get a really close sound and feel.

Since I made my own BC, I have learned that a good stiff pick which is properly beveled gets you 95% of the way there, in feel. Point shape and material control attack and tone. I cannot say I notice a big difference in sound among my fav picks and the BC. I do find my trem is smoother , probably because of the one rounded point and bevel and material. I do NOT find that my speed or accuracy is improved, as touted on the BC site. I guess, since I switch around, and don't have a noticeable "this aint the BC" reaction, for me its too close to merit the price and the 'management issues' ie loss.

Blog Entries

Is a Rolex better than a Timex? Not to me! Is a Blue Chip better than any other pick? To me, absolutely! It just depends on what you want and what you find value in. There are some close seconds for me including real tortoise but the Blue Chip works better for me on every instrument. $35 is not even a consideration for me anymore.

Let's see, did I say "for me" enough??
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I seem to never lose picks. I had a wegen for about 4 years. I took the plunge and bought a blue chip about a year ago. My girlfriend was a little shocked when I spent $35 on a pick. She just asked me last week, "do you still have that blue chip?" and I said "sure do." Cant imagine playing with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    On the matter of losing a $35 BC pick, this is the way it works in real life: when you pay $1 for a pick, you tend not to make the same effort to keep track of it compared to when you pay $35 for a pick. Maybe not 35 times the effort, but a lot more than with a $1 pick. I'm sure there are folks out there to which this behavioral rule does not apply, but not enough of them to seriously challenge the rule.
    Exactly. Slip it under the strings when you're done. I've been playing the same blue chip for 5+ years. Expensive relative to other picks, sure, but if tone and playability are priorities, this is about the cheapest way to make potentially huge strides in those areas other than strings or a new instrument.

28. The following members say thank you to bayAreaDude for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    ...I use ProPlecs and Golden Gates and Pick Boys (the PEI hi modulus 'reefer' picks are a particular favorite of mine, even if the normal 351 tear drop shape -amazing stuff!) and get a really close sound and feel.

Since I made my own BC, I have learned that a good stiff pick which is properly beveled gets you 95% of the way there, in feel. Point shape and material control attack and tone. I cannot say I notice a big difference in sound among my fav picks and the BC. I do find my trem is smoother , probably because of the one rounded point and bevel and material. I do NOT find that my speed or accuracy is improved, as touted on the BC site. I guess, since I switch around, and don't have a noticeable "this aint the BC" reaction, for me its too close to merit the price and the 'management issues' ie loss.
    The usual disclaimers re: YMMV, and FWIW, etc. apply to the following:

I was an early proponent of BC picks. I have a few from when they first started making them and made their initial speed/accuracy/feel claims. These are the picks I use all the time and some are starting to wear a little, so I'm always on the lookout for replacements. The problem I've found is that somewhere along the line BC moved to another lot of their material, or something, because blue chips made in the past few years do not have the same crisp feel and don't produce as bright/clear/loud a tone as the earlier runs; especially on the treble strings. I've noticed that when compared to Wegens, ProPlecs, Golden Gates, and even McCrays, the newer blue chips don't stand out as much as the original ones. They feel a little "spongy" on the treble strings, which is the way I characterize the other picks as well. It is not a subtle difference to me (between the new and old BCs). I've tried new BCs a few times over the past couple of years and have returned them all. I've wondered if they harden or something over time and that's why the old ones seem louder/brighter but I don't think so. Not trying to burst the blue chip bubble, but in my experience the newer ones aren't quite the same as the ones that caused all the initial euphoria and the original 70 page thread started back in 2008.

Probably the closest I've come to these early blue chips is with Dunlop Ultex but I haven't found any of them that are thick enough for me. I'm very interested in trying some of the new Dunlop Primetone sculpted picks, which are Ultex and in more mandolin friendly shapes, thicknesses, and bevels, when they finally get on the market.

30. The following members say thank you to mandotrout777 for this post:

Registered User calgary.fiddler's Avatar

I have a CT55 Bluechip and I absolutely love it. It has the "speed bevel" and I can really feel the difference, just a slight ease of playing and I find the material their made of out really stick to the hand. I do take good care of my pick and haven't lost it in the two years i've had it, but if I did I would go order a new one right away.

Picks like the Ultex 1.14 are what I use as my backup picks, and yes they don't sound to bad, and would probably work just fine for any undecerning player. Is the bluechip 50x better? Absolutely not. But it is at least 5x times better in my opinion, just based one sound, playability, and grip. In my mind if your going to spend $5000 on a mandolin why not spend a few extra bucks to get something that will make that instrument sound its absolute best?

I also come from a background of playing violin (or a fiddle, as many here like to call it) where the bow (which in a sense has just as much impact on sound as a pick) is recognized as being of very high importance. Gabe Witcher, the fiddler for the punch brothers has a $40,000 bow, which he says is worth 20x as much as his fiddle.

So after spending $1700 on my violin bow to get a decently good quality stick, $35 for the best pick you can get seems like a bargain.
    https://www.facebook.com/thewaronlight

https://thewaronlight.bandcamp.com

2003 Collings MF-5
    The Loar LH-600-VS
    Gold-Tone OB-250
    Martin 00-15M
    Eastman E20D

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgary.fiddler For This Useful Post: