Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clip on mic?

Default Re: Clip on mic?

I just stumbled over this string. A question: What does that AT 35 clip on attach to? We sometimes play receptions in loud rooms, or outside in the wind -- will this pick up that noise?

Quote Originally Posted by fhaz View Post
    I just stumbled over this string. A question: What does that AT 35 clip on attach to? We sometimes play receptions in loud rooms, or outside in the wind -- will this pick up that noise?
    If you have a ToneGard on your mandolin, you can use that as an attachment point for the alligator clamp at the end of the gooseneck. Back when I used an ATM350 (similar mic), I clipped it to the back side of the ToneGard, under the treble-side F-hole, with the gooseneck reaching over the side of the mandolin and pointing at the bottom of that F-hole. I think other folks have managed to clip it onto the tailpiece, if you don't have a ToneGard. There are other attachment methods, like the carpenter jack type used by the DPA 4099.

Regarding pickup of ambient noise, well... it depends. I've used ATM350's and DPA 4099's on mandolin and acoustic guitar in fairly loud bars, without picking up audience noise. The mic is so close to the instrument that ambient noise of that type isn't a problem unless you're in a really loud (as opposed to "fairly loud") bar. Stage noise on the other hand, from loud monitors or a drummer is another thing, and these mics only work well if your stage volume is reasonably well under control.

Wind noise is another issue. Unlike audience noise, wind has an immediate effect on the mic if it's blowing hard enough. I played a wedding gig last summer where we were outdoors at a state park near the ocean, and we had some trouble with low-level rumble from the wind. We were able to position ourselves to block most of it with our backs, but that's maybe the one gig in several years where I could have used a pickup instead of a clip-on mic. On the other hand, I'm sure we were getting less wind noise than if we were using an external microphone, due to the mic proximity to the instruments. Any mic is a problem when the wind blows hard enough.

If you play frequently in a windy environment, you might want to try adapting one of the soft "furry" wind protectors like they use on camera microphones. Depending on wind velocity it may only give you a little help, but that's better than nothing. Rycote is one manufacturer, and I just noticed they make one for the DPA 4099 (hey, I might have to get a couple of these!). One of the other models here might work for the Audio-Technica mics:

http://www.rycote.com/producttypes/lavalier-windjammer/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Thanks, foldedpath. It's just my wife (on cello) and me, so band noise is under control. But we play outdoors a lot, using wind protectors on our stand-mounted mics. They help, just a little. .... I'm thinking a body-mounted pickup like the AKG or Baggs may make more sense for me.

Blog Entries

The long, furry Rycotes are excellent by the way. They do a great job pf cutting wind rumble. I've been using them for many, many years and would hate to have to do an outside recording/broadcast/video shoot without them. The long furry versions are more effective than the short hairy ones... Even more effective are the full basket 'zeppelins' + long furry cover but these are too bulky for micro-mics. Intermediate level control is offered by the 'softy' mount, but again, too bulky for micro-mics. They are superb on stand-mount mics, however. Watch any outdoor TV news conference and you will see a whole bunch of them in use.

All of these are a world away from a regular foam windshield. No comparison at all.

If your desk has a 75/100Hz high pass filter, engage that too. Also helps.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

And just for the record, in case you ever hear this term... the furry wind protectors are also called "Dead Cats." Because, well, that's what they look like, stuck up on a long boom pole at a video shoot.

Edit to add... and I guess that makes the Rycote windjammer for the DPA 4099 a "Dead Mouse"...

8. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    And just for the record, in case you ever hear this term... the furry wind protectors are also called "Dead Cats." Because, well, that's what they look like, stuck up on a long boom pole at a video shoot.

Edit to add... and I guess that makes the Rycote windjammer for the DPA 4099 a "Dead Mouse"...
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."