Thread: Help with Paris Cafe/Musette

Default Help with Paris Cafe/Musette

HELP! My friend's HS daughter has been asked to put together a group to play an hour of "Paris Cafe" music for a wedding reception. She is a decent violinist, and I'm a mostly melody mandolin player. We have a concertina player and a bass player. I'm trolling for music sources. So far, she's found some voice/piano arrangements that are pretty dull. I'll keep searching for good stuff, but I'm tossing out this - just in case someone has a bunch of old musette stuff to share.
    Connor

Check out my new double-neck Mandolin:
    http://lee588.wix.com/mandoventure#!problem/mainPage

Default Re: Help with Paris Cafe/Musette

Sounds like a fun project, so long as there's no big hurry. If you want published music in lead sheet form, the six volume series of musette repertoire put out by Paul Beuscher is apparently still in print. Total of 660 classic French accordion items! I see them advertised at about 25 euros per volume. It's great stuff if you know how to turn a lead sheet into a performance.

A few Piaf songs in the mix would be nice.

That will be tricky... mandolin and concertina will have to do their best accordion and guitar impressions. Musette stuff is hard and notey, but beautiful. If it's short notice, I'd see if you could rope in a guitarist for rhythm, and then just pick ten or so easy Django-approved '20s-'30s standards, and then some stuff like Ma Vie En Rose (hat tip to Bruce).

4. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

There are a few nice musette-style tunes out there that work fine on mandolin and that should suit your mandolin/violin/bass line-up. Here are two old threads:

Link
    Link

I see Bruce Clausen has already responded -- his recording of "Rivalité" is really nice and I have the sheet music lying around somewhere (it's not as easy as Bruce makes it sound).

A few that I play are:

1) La Petite Tonkinoise: A French polka written in 1905, but now mostly associated with Josephine Baker's big hit in the 1920s. I have an arrangement for two mandolins and guitar (see attached -- tune and arrangement should be in the public domain by now), which I recorded last year:

2) Domino: a French song written in 1950 by Louis Ferrari, and a hit for Bing Crosby in English translation. There's an arrangement for two mandolins with guitar chords in Sheri Mignano's book "Mandolin Melodies", which should suit your line-up. I made a video of me playing the first mandolin part a few years ago (Link) -- it's much richer once you add the second mandolin part and rhythm, too.

3) La Valse Bleu (Alfred Margis): Fairly well-known tune usually played on piano, which I have in the attached mandolin duet version. There probably was a guitar part as well for that arrangement, but I don't have it.

There is quite a bit of free music online that will suits you. My suggestion would be that once you have some actual French musette tunes you can mix it up with a few tangos and Italian waltzes and nobody will mind -- a French Cafe music set would probably have a fair few of that type of tune anyway. Sheri's book is a great source for them.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valsebleue_2m.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	118324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valsebleue_1m.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	118325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dibella_petit_tonkinoise_guitar.jpg 
Views:	2136 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	118326  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dibella_petit_tonkinoise_2nd.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	118327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dibella_petit_tonkinoise_1st.jpg 
Views:	1269 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	118328  

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions. We do have a few Edith Piaf tunes, but I'm going to have to do some arranging to make 'em work. The biggest chunk of that work will be to write out enough for me to substitute for guitar - I'm more of a note player than an ear player. The concertina player used to play piano accordion, so I'm going to dig out mine and see if he will give it a try after 20 years. The additional tunes look and sound great. I will take them to our next practice and see how they fly. I also agree that if we are discreet about it we can slip in something from Italy or perhaps French Canadian. We did find a few things in the Waltz books (damn, I love playing from them!). Sous Le Ciel De Paris (Under the Paris Skies) is another tune that will work well, I've found.

As my friend's daughter accurately pointed out, we are playing music that people who have probably never been to a Paris cafe think would be played there... our job is to find stuff that sounds like they think it should.

Again, thanks for the quick suggestions! They are appreciated.
    Connor

An update:
    Martin - the two PDFs you shared were GOLDEN! You knew exactly what we were after. I'll have to confess to a "DUH!" moment, though. I had totally forgotten that I have Sheri Mignano's "Mandolin Melodies" on CD. My music accumulation is so large, varied and chaotic that I forget some of the stuff I've had around for a while. At any rate, between everyone's suggestions and the rest of our gleanings, we are set for the cafe music.

The nasty bit is that the bride now wants Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years" for the processional music. (Processional??? I thought we were just playing for the reception!) Her mother wants a few Beatles tunes, too. That won't be so bad - they wrote nice lyrical stuff that we can work with. Perri's song, though... I can totally understand why a young, pop-culture-savvy bride-to-be would want this song, but YIKES! she'll expect us to sound just like the video. I'm gonna have to stew on this one. Of course, we also need to play the Pachelbel Canon (lovingly dubbed by us as the Taco Bell Cannon). At least there are a bazillion arrangements to choose from.
    Connor

9. The following members say thank you to Connor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    The concertina player used to play piano accordion, so I'm going to dig out mine and see if he will give it a try...
    Your best bet!

I saw that you said you're not primarily an ear player. However, FWIW, there are many easy but good-sounding musette and cafe-style tunes recorded by accordion and melodeon players--perhaps transcribe some for your purposes? In fact there's a thread over on melodeon.net listing some resources for "easy musette" tunes.

Just looked to see if I could dig it up--can't seem to find, sorry
    Last edited by catmandu2; Apr-27-2014 at 10:29pm.

My go-to reference for swing and gypsy jazz is the Django Fakebook. Here it is again, 200 songs. There has to be something that will work and appeal to you:

2008 Django Fakebook

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Catmandu2, I found an accordion site with lots of musette lead sheets - http://www.818daily.com/musette.html - there are other good musical styles there, too. If I have the melody sheet I can do some improvising and fiddling around to liven it up. Unfortunately, the other players for this gig aren't going to do well working from a lead sheet.

Mandobart, thanks for the fakebook. I will have fun exploring it.
    Connor

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Connor For This Useful Post:

I'm not promoting the band, only the tune.
    Dancing on the Moon.
    I think this is a great musette piece.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGHr3swuOc

I just finished playing for this gig and thought I'd put a coda on this thread. Had to skip one Beatles tune (arranged for cello, violin and mandolin) - no regrets there. 1000 Years went OK - arranged a version with arpeggios for mando, cello bass line and violin swinging away on the melody. Didn't suck too badly - people said it was beautiful. The Pachelbel canon as a bridal processional was hilarious - they only wanted 30 seconds of music (the aisle was short). We convinced them to take a little more time, cut all of the build-up part out of an arrangement, started at the high point of the piece and played about a minute and a half's worth. Lovely.

I worried more about the French Cafe music for the wine and cheese reception than I needed to. We had about an hour of content worked out, with painstakingly arranged instrumentation changes (lots of angst in the development of the arrangements). The reception was so loud that we chucked it all after the first tune and had everyone play melody except the bass. Thank the music gods that we had an electric acoustic bass and an amp. The accordion player actually got out his earplugs! Needless to say we provided just the right level of "wallpaper music". Cheery, in the background, and pretty much nobody actually listened to what we played.

To build a sufficiently long playlist we cheated a bit and played some Celtic (Breton) French and Quebecois music, plus a few Edith Piaf tunes. Late in the reception we actually slipped to old Irish favorites we all knew, too.

My favorite for the whole show was the Petite Tonkinoise. We worked out a violin, accordion, mandolin and bass arrangement. I played the 2nd mando part and let the violin and accordion take the melody. We played it at a dance polka tempo, unlike the Josephine Baker arrangement (and Martin Jonas' version). The thing I love is that the 2nd mandolin part at the coda is a splendid counter-melody, a lot like the baritone horn counter-melody in a Sousa march. I played it on the octave mando neck of my double-neck and had a gas! I'm going to see if the group will get together and record a video of it. It was worthy. Thanks again, Martin for sharing the two pieces. We used both. Thanks to all for your advice. Now I want to set up a reader's session and work through a bunch of other music we didn't touch.
    Connor

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stec View Post
    I'm not promoting the band, only the tune.
    Dancing on the Moon.
    I think this is a great musette piece.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGHr3swuOc
    Hey, Greg. I missed your post earlier. Nice tune! Really cheery.
    Connor

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Being an accordionist, I've got a hundreds, if not thousands of Paris musette tunes. But she's probably already performed for the event. Let me know if she has another. Violins were v popular during they hey day of les guinguettes!

19. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Being an accordionist, I've got a hundreds, if not thousands of Paris musette tunes. But she's probably already performed for the event. Let me know if she has another. Violins were v popular during they hey day of les guinguettes!
    I am still looking to find a big book of these tunes. I want to use it to work on my sight reading. Do you have a collection?

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

yes, I sent a pm to you.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

WARNING: ~8 year old thread.

However I love musette and wish I could keep up with its frantic and relentless pace. I think the chromatic button accordionists have an instrument designed for that music. I remember there was a Belgian guy who posted a bunch of these tunes for accordion quite a few years ago and downloaded many of them. However Sheri is an excellent source I am sure.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-21-2022 at 5:34pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: