Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Census

Default Practice Census

Hi everybody,

What are you all working on these days? Specifically,

1. What skills are you trying to develop in your own playing? Where do you think you most need to improve?

2. What are some goals you have for the next five years?

3. If you could emphasize one skill to a beginner, what would it be?

If there have been similar threads in the past, I'd love to see them linked, but I'm more interested in the current state of things for cafe members.

Here are my answers:

1. I'm practicing a lot with a metronome and a recorder to work on my rushing problem.

2. In five years, I would like to have "fixed" my left hand technique. I have a flying fingers problem. I'd also like to be a more confident bluegrass rhythm player.

3. If I could emphasize one skill to a beginner, it would be right hand technique, specifically developing a relaxed but powerful position.

Looking forward to responses,
    Amanda
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amanda Gregg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Practice Census

1) Sight Reading skills.
    2) Being able to sight read complex pieces--Have the ablity to go to a Mike Marshall or Caterina Lichtenberg workshop and read and play along with them, not be as good as they are--not going to happen, but be able to play and contribute to the music being played.
    3) If you are serious, be studious to music theory and not just playing and noodling. If you just want to jam and have fun that's all good. But those foundations are so very important.

4. The following members say thank you to tkdboyd for this post:

1. Tremolo! Getting it consistent from day to day, whether it's on one string or many, and being able to keep it going while my left hand is changing double-stops or sliding up the neck. Getting a good, smooth, "stirred, not shaken" tremolo is taking me longer than I ever dreamed.

2. Competent improvising in any key, all the way up the fretboard.

3. I'm tempted to agree with tkdboyd about music theory, but as we're talking about a "skill" to emphasize, I'd have to go with right hand technique as well. Correct pick stroke direction seems to be a really, really difficult concept to teach people. Even when you know they understand it, getting their brain to make their wrist stick to it is tough.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    3. I'm tempted to agree with tkdboyd about music theory, but as we're talking about a "skill" to emphasize, I'd have to go with right hand technique as well. Correct pick stroke direction seems to be a really, really difficult concept to teach people. Even when you know they understand it, getting their brain to make their wrist stick to it is tough.
    3.1) Relaxed Left and Right hand, don't be tense or your playing and your body will suffer.

8. The following members say thank you to tkdboyd for this post:

1. Creative/interesting/out of the ordinary improvisation. Using dissonance to create color in chords and improvisation. Sounds, that when played, make other players smile and nod.

2. Learning more swing/jazz tunes and how to use the fundamental chord progressions in the swing/jazz genre.

3. I'm with Tobin and tkdboyd.....music theory. The left and right hand techniques come with tons of time and imbedded muscle memory. Music theory is a combination of head and hand that travels from one genre of music to another and opens all sorts of innovative possibilities. Music theory answers "why" as well as "what".
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

10. The following members say thank you to David Smith for this post:

Keeping up with the banjos on Train 45

and

Getting my co-jammers to learn the Nashville Number System

What is the Nashville number system.

Wow, already great responses. Thanks, folks.

Mandoplumb, you might use the Nashville Number System already without realizing it. It's when you call the root chord "1" and then label other chords by scale degrees. So, in the key of G, 1 is G, 4 is C, and 5 is D.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

1 - These days I work mostly on music, and bump into the skills I might need to work on. I was working on the waltz "Candles in the Dark" and at first had trouble with that octave jump. So I worked for weeks on octave jumps. I play the Ostinella Hornpipe, and find that my shifts into third position are sloppy, so I have been working on shifting fast and accurately.

2 - I don't look at goals the same way I used to. My main goal is to be more fun to play music with. Thats it. And everything that entails. There is no particular skill that is more important for me to acquire. Being able to do stuff on mandolin is a huge part of it, but also listening, hearing chord changes, knowing when to lean in and when to sit back and let someone else lean in. Finding some kind of value in eveyone's contribution, and how to help without instructing, how to be enthusiastic and encouraging without fawning, how to be patient, how to remember where music is in terms of importance, etc.

3 - I always emphasize to beginners that they get into a regular jam session ASAP. Playing regularly with others is soooooo important for retention, and enthusiasm, and setting objective playing goals, and measuring progress, and a million other little things. Music teachers have verified that those who play music with others on a regular basis stay with it longer than those who don't.

From a practical point of view I would make a goal that sometime in the next few years I would like to be part of a performing classical mandolin ensemble.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

1. As a beginner (with a history, but still a beginner), I'm trying very hard to minimize bad habits. My approach to progress is "slow and steady wins the race". However, with that said, I'd really like to get my speed up - and my right hand technique is holding me back. So I'm working on that aspect in a very focused way. It'll come. It'll come...right?

2. Five year goals are to develop a repertoire of songs to fill a 30-45 minute set - songs I can execute all aspects of competently. Find others who share my tastes to play said songs with. Maybe 5 years is too ambitious...but there it is.

3. Don't give up on goals! If you take the time to set one (and you should set them carefully and thoughtfully), don't abandon it. You'll regret it everytime.

17. The following members say thank you to JoeyJoeJoe for this post:

1. I completely resonate with all the goals people have here. For me, though, I'm just trying to get better and I used to have goals like "improve my tremolo" (which I did, to my satisfaction). But taking Mike Marshall's Artist Works lessons have been an eye opener. I realized I may not be the best judge of what I need to work on. I had no idea I was holding the mandolin at the wrong angle, or I was sitting the wrong kind of chair, or that my strict DUDU picking (non-jig) is not always the best for each kind of passage I might play. So I guess what I need to work on is getting more independent input about my playing and work on that input and not "pre-judge" what I need to work on.

2. I would hope I can get through all of Mike's lessons with good feedback from him in the next two years. Five years is a long time for me!

3. One skill, hmmm... I guess it would be playing cleanly no matter what. If you always have that as your goal, it slows you down long enough to really master anything else you want to do.
    Last edited by John Flynn; Apr-23-2014 at 3:34pm.

19. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

1. What skills are you trying to develop? Where do I need to improve?
    - I need to work on freeing any tension in the picking hand. This has improved greatly since I "injured" myself a month ago. Now that I'm playing again I constantly focus on form. Also, I am trying to develop speed with precision as the biggest caveat. I don't want speed at a sacrifice to tone and clarity, but eventually I would like to pick faster while improvising. I am trying to develop my ear as well, which will help with vocals. I have a lot of "goals" and things I want to "develop" but I have objectives and routes to meet these goals so hopefully in time I will reach all these goals.

Goals must be clearly defined and they are met by achieving objectives en route...

2. One other goal of mine not mentioned above is the ability to let go of my technical study and not be scared to just noodle around and play. Music can be "fun" and its OK to just play around. I'm always focused on pushing myself to learn more and advance advance advance that I need to always remind myself its OK to take a chill pill and not pressure myself to seek constant improvement. Sometimes I need to just enjoy the progress I've made and enjoy music for what it is.

In the next 5 years I would like to continue to build my rep of memorized songs. I learned about 20 this year, lyrics and chords that I feel comfortable leading. I would like to keep learning about 20 each year. I assume in doing so it gets easier and easier. I hope in the next five years I can also carry a tune in a bucket. My vocals need an insane amount of work, but I'm finally taking vocal work seriously and practicing singing scales and the like...

3. My biggest advice to a beginner would be to develop a strong sense of purpose in their practice regime. I would emphasize chord progression study ASAP, as well as the Nashville system. Right off the bat I would suggest they study FFcP exercises and shapes to allow almost immediate improv at jams or in groups. I would say to have goals and seek improvement. I just piddled around for years and never made progress until I took music as seriously as I take running. (due to goals)

So...to summarize the verbal diarrhea I just spewed out above, I'll clarify:

I'm working through the books, Intermediate Mandolin by Greg Horne, and, The Mandolin Pickers Guide To Bluegrass Improvisation. I'm not letting the girth get to me and overwhelm me. I plan on working steadily through these books and not moving on to a new chapter until I really nail each one down. This will probably take a year or more.

I want to be better at Improv. The improv book I have is great at really teaching how different scales sound. I finally get the place I would want to use a pentatonic run vs a normal major scale run, etc. The work on arpeggios was cool too. In BG, I play mostly in a jam setting, so these skills are valuable, improv and speed, but like I said, I won't sacrifice tone or clarity, or tension for that matter.

Anyways... I've rambled waaay too long.
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Apr-23-2014 at 3:46pm.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

21. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm still inside my first year. Lately I've slowed down on learning new songs for 'learning new songs sake' and leaning more into figuring out the fretboard and how to make more of the music myself. Which is my goal.

I'm no closer to a skillful tremolo than the day I started. It's hard and I'm sure I'll never be that good at it. Other than that, I need to work towards playing with less tension in both hands.

I would tell anyone starting out to have a plan towards learning the mandolin that suits their goals. Everybody learns differently - just don't make it a grind.

But have one song that they know by heart, that they practice not for speed but for quality. Something simple, to learn how to make beautiful strokes on. Hitting the correct notes in time is just the first mechanical step of making music. Play with some feeling even if it's only twinkle twinkle little star

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Play with some feeling even if it's only twinkle twinkle little star
    Like this?

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

1. What skills are you trying to develop in your own playing? Where do you think you most need to improve?

Firstly trying to overcome tendonitis(mainly left hand) and work out how to play in a way that doesn't make it worse.
    Working on mental visualisation so can practice more in my head without hurting my fingers, and also on ear training / listening skills.
    When my hands are ok, I'm mainly working on ornamentation in ITM, jig triplets etc.

Five years is a long time, so might as well be ambitious.

To totally overcome any of my problems with tendonitis.
    To get to a stage where even with bebop, I can work out chord progressions and recognise more complex chords on first listen through of a track, and where also I can instantly recognise any note, either sung or in a solo, by it's place relative to the tonic, and recognise scales being used; and with vocals, be able to harmonise on the fly.

To increase my musical memory, and become the kind of person who can hear a Scottish or Irish tune in a session, and keep it in mind while other tunes play, then return home and play it on my instrument.

To increase my traditional tune repertoire from where it is at present (about 280 in various levels of rememberability) to about 2000 I can play at any time.

To be able to play ornamentations in ITM smoothly no matter the speed (within reason), and play the music with more feeling and expression.

To improve at the bouzouki.

To make my bluegrass solos tell more of a story.

To make a comfortable living out playing music, rather than scraping by like at present.

Listen, listen, listen - to yourself (by recording), to others in real life and on great recordings, to mandolinists and to other instruments too.

And be careful with your hands - warming up, posture etc.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neil argonaut For This Useful Post:

A timely question, as I've just hit a point where I'm re-assessing how I'm spending my time at this. I play anywhere from 1/2 an hour to 2 hours most days.

1. Working on the Mike Marshall on-line lessons, and trying to learn some new songs (maybe averaging one every two weeks or so). I'm starting to consider that I should spend more time on pure practice and less on song learning. At least a better mix. What that practice is or should be, I'm not sure yet. If I had to pick one area to improve, it would be playing up the neck.

2. Over the next five years, I'd like to be able to play a good hour's worth of songs from memory across all genres, and I'd like to find time to play more with others.

3. To other beginners (because I am still one), I would simply say keep it fun and interesting. This is music and music is joy.

Happy pickin' Amand and all.
    Gibson F4 (1921)
    Eastman MD515 (2013)

Tremolo, cross picking are priorities that I try to practice everyday. I emphasize staying relaxed and not tensing up. I use a metronome and keep a log so I can track my progress.

Blog Entries

Duo/trio style solo playing.
    Appregio technique.
    Cross-picking melodies.
    Jazz chord progressions.
    Comping techniques
    Supporting others musically.
    Mandolin and harp duets.
    Mandolin duets.
    Quartets/quintets and orchestral playing.
    Writing or figuring out tunes and composing accompaniments.
    Bluegrass harmony singing with mandolin. & Folk lead singing while playing tenor guitar or mandoloncello.
    Relaxed confidence.

No goals, just be and do and carry on being and doing in different ways.

Learn true curiosity; Explore much and believe in your findings until something better displaces those. Always be open to new experiences and be ready to abandon previous convictions.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

30. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

1. I've been working on trebles (Irish triplets) and slip jigs. Hard to play on the mandolin!

2. To learn the Bach Partitas for solo violin on the mandolin.

3. I'd emphasize the need to practice scales, using 4th fingers, 2 octaves - all scales around circle of fifths plus relative minors

32. The following members say thank you to Adam Sweet for this post:

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

As newbey to Mandolin (roughly 4 months) I'm practicing-
    1. Chords, two finger, three finger, four finger in Keys.
    2. Scales and relating them to chords and keys.
    3. Right hand disciplines UDUD, etc using metronome when required.
    4.Simple melodies, Reading standard notation and relating it to the keyboard.
    I do a little of each every time I practice, this I find builds in breaks that are needed.
    Learning from others, picking up ideas and tips..

In Five years I expect to have been playing with others eg. Folk at pub nights, and during worship as part of the worship group Church, when I have been able to bring my standard up to be able to contribute something useful. Also attending meets where possible. Should have moved onto a better Mandolin by then. MAS.

For beginners
    I agree with Beanzy in this one.I couldn't say it better, only to add learning and practising Standard Notation as it opens a whole world of music to you.

34. The following members say thank you to Mike Steadfast-Ward for this post:

I got a metronome and working with it every day to gain some speed and clean picking.
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Trebles and triplets in ITM. Been incorporating some exercises from Enda Scahill's tenor banjo tutor in my daily routine for about 3 weeks, I think I'm starting to see some small improvements but it may be another month or two (maybe more!) before it sounds how I want.

I don't have any specific 5 year goals, I tend to have objectives for the next 12 months. The main one being to maintain rate of growth of session tune repertoire - at least one tune per week on average. I'd say the 5 year goal might be to have 500+ tunes at my disposal.

Also in 5 years - although there is nothing specific in my current practice routines aiming for this - maybe have some chord-melody jazz standards in my repertoire. Maybe some jazz improvisation ability too. Those would be the things I work on when I'm happy with the rate of progress on growing my session tune repertoire.

Depends on the beginner. When I was a beginner - guitar rather than mandolin - I spent a lot of time practising scales, scales in thirds, arpeggios, lots of chord shapes. I didn't learn any tunes all the way through! The advice I'd give to myself would be, learn tunes, only learn theory and technique if it is to serve your repertoire.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

37. The following members say thank you to Mike Floorstand for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need to improve my picking speed. My playing is getting better, but remains slow. I can't keep up in sessions. So I'm trying to start using a metronome to diagnose where I am and speed up gradually, and I'm trying to play without looking at my fingers. I suspect that the interference of visual processing with procedural memory is one of the things slowing me down. I'm also working on a solid repertoire of tunes for sessions and playing at home.

To become a good musician: one that people like to play with and listen to. One that can join in with sets at sessions rather than just the odd tune.

Play with others as soon as possible. It helps your timing and musical understanding in ways that nothing else can.

39. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Improvisation. Playing cleanly, especially as tempo gets faster. Playing fills and licks to support a vocalist.

Make significant progress on all my answers to #1. Be able to play mandolin in a band or at a jam and be competent and comfortable.

Play both scales and tunes. This is sometimes presented as an either/or, but I think you need both. Play s_l_o_w_l_y and cleanly, speed will come. Metronome. (I know, that was more than one. :-))

Post 24 is spot on. And for #3, I would add solid rhythm work. It's an art form unto its own, with subtleties and shades that can really make or break good accompaniment.