Thread: These tuners are...

Default These tuners are...

Howdy folks. I love my Collings Honey Tortoise MT2, but there is one massive issue: the tuners are almost unusable. I don't know what the problem is. The mandolin was built in 2011 and I purchased it new in 2012. Initially the tuners were stiff but not terrible. Prior to this mandolin I had a 2008 MT with Elite tuners that were as smooth as silk. I also have a mandola with Elites that also work perfectly. The tuners on the MT2 look like Elites in their design and I assume that Collings started using tuners without the Elite logo stamped on the back on some instruments. But back the issue…they are so stiff that I have to use a peg winder as a wrench for leverage when restringing my instrument. I looked on the Collings website but did not find a page to give me any answers. Has anyone else had similar issues with tuners? I asked a local luthier and his response was to buy Waverly tuners for it Any help, instruction, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: These tuners are...

I had a Collings MF that had Gotoh tuners on it. I hated them, they would not stay in tune. I loved the mandolin and if I would have kept it, I would have put Waverlys on it. I sold it and bought a Gibson....all because of the tuners
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Call or email Collings. I've always found them to be at the least, friendly and sometimes helpful. Good luck.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

If you really love the mando (and I suspect that you do!) then either Collings can acknowledge the tuners issue and help with some of the cost of replacing; or most likely you'll have to pay to have them switched out. I just got my JBovier back from my luthier and I had the Wilkinson tuners that came with the mando, removed and Grovers installed....Big difference!

If you're gonna keep it, just change'em out!

Best to ya!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

HM, I'd give a call to Collings 512-288-7776 & talk to Mark Althans or Alex Rueb (the killer mando player) & tell them about your problem.
    They're great folks. Waverlys are fine tuners, but there are cheaper tuners that work too. Like all builders, Collings buys their parts from other manufacturers & if you don't let them know that you have an issue....they can't do anything about. Mark & I commiserate about the latches on the TKL cases for the 0 size guitars while waiting patiently for Bill's new line of cases.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

I too had problems with very stiff tuners on my Collings MT mandola. I contacted Collings and was told they had some issues with some of the tuners they'd purchased from StewMac and they have an arrangement with StewMact to replace them at no cost to the instrument owner. I was told to contact StewMac to confirm the model of turners on the mandola and StewMac sent a replacement set at no cost. I simply had to ship the old ones back to StewMac. I made the switch myself, so I only had the return shipping cost of the old tuners as an expense. I must say I am pleased with the response of both Collings and StewMac. CLASS ACTS BOTH!
    1992 Flatiron F5 Master model
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

8. The following members say thank you to Eldon Dennis for this post:

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll contact Collings tomorrow and talk to them about the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Call or email Collings. I've always found them to be at the least, friendly and sometimes helpful. Good luck.
    I used to have an MF5 with Schallers that weren't so hot. I visited the Collings factory when I was in Austin and mentioned this. They said they had had other complaints and just gave me a new set of Gotohs. Nice folks.

Some of the early Elite tuners were VERY stiff. I still have them on one of my personal mandolins and they haven't eased. As others have said Collings should help you out.

Its a bit of a mystery to me why Collings and others sent out mandolins with them on.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Just an important tip, if you are going to replace the tuners yourself. I would strongly advise using the existing tuner shaft bushings and NOT replacing them especially if they are identical tuners. If you do have to remove them for whatever reason, be VERY careful as the finish can chip around the edges very easily. I used dowels and a small rubber mallet to very gently tap them out but others with more experience might offer a better way.

Sean

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgrexa For This Useful Post:

I know on Collings guitars the bushings are placed with a bit of crazy glue. They can be pushed out easily after some heat is applied with a soldering iron. This prevents any chipping of the headstock overlay.

I just called Collings. They were very helpful and told me that they will ship the tuners to me within the next week. Incredibly friendly and professional service. Thanks everyone. Hopefully I shall utter fewer expletives when I next change my strings. I also appreciate the tips about the bushings. I assume the new tuners will fit the old bushings, but I am not brave enough to take them out myself. Things like bridge and truss rod adjustments don't intimidate me, but I'd hate to damage the headstock unnecessarily.

That sounds like a very fair solution to your legitimate complaint. Changing out an identical set of tuners without changing the bushings is as easy as taking out a couple screws, sliding the old tuners out, sliding the new ones in, and putting on the new screws. I think you should at least give one side a try, just go slow and if you run into trouble you can always stop and send it to a professional. Mike Kemnitzer has a "slightly" more complex method of working with tuners (Schallers exclusively) prior to installing them. Here is a snippet of a message he sent me- "I get them (Schallers) to work smoother by lapping them with a slightly abrasive lubricant, disassemble, ultrasonically clean, lubricate with a high pressure grease and re assemble. I hope you'll find the tuners on the Jr. very friendly to use."

I must say they work very nicely after all that Good luck!

Sean