Thread: Ronroco/charango luthiers?

Default Ronroco/charango luthiers?

Seems like this particular forum is where the luthiers might tend to cluster, so I'm posting this here, even though it's not precisely mandolin-oriented.

I am considering commissioning a custom charangon -- a larger relative of the charango. I have been researching this instrument for a couple of years, and information on how it is distinct from the ronroco (another larger charango relative) is sketchy and conflicting, at best. So I'm thinking of just gathering the best info I have, designing my own instrument, and finding someone to build it for me.

It would seem most logical that the maker be one skilled in the construction of traditional ronrocos and charangos, and most these (I'm told) live and work in South America. Thus far, I've not had much success in locating any with whom I've been able to make contact. "Charango Mall", on the web, has a list of supposed charango luthiers, but no means by which they might be contacted directly. Searching out individual names on the Web has mostly produced links to other retail outlets, and dead ends.

So... might anyone here be in contact with, or know how I can get in contact with one or more South American luthiers, experienced in building ronrocos, who might be willing to create an over-sized custom instrument for a crazy gringo musician, for an appropriate fee?

TIA.
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

Default Re: Ronroco/charango luthiers?

A google search turned this up:

http://www.quispetorrezpedro.com/

Have you seen the site?

3. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

I found that site through here:

http://www.charango.cl/paginas/lutheria_charanguera.htm

There are a few other sites and emails for luthiers who make them.

I am in Argentina these days. If you want, send me a private message, and I will see if I can find anything for you down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx View Post
    A google search turned this up:

http://www.quispetorrezpedro.com/

Have you seen the site?
    Ooh... looks promising. Thanks!

What did you search for? I tried various combinations of "luthier" + "charango", "ronroco", "charangon"... and never turned it up.
    Dr H
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by robert.najlis View Post
    I am in Argentina these days. If you want, send me a private message, and I will see if I can find anything for you down here.
    Thanks, Robert. I may take you up on that.
    Dr H
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
    Ooh... looks promising. Thanks!

What did you search for? I tried various combinations of "luthier" + "charango", "ronroco", "charangon"... and never turned it up.
    I don't remember exactly, but I think I searched for "charango luthier"

Try Joe Todaro in PA. He goes down to SA and has connections with many luthiers. I bought a charango from him years ago and it is a nice instrument for reasonable money. He carries all levels of many of these.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Try Joe Todaro in PA. He goes down to SA and has connections with many luthiers. I bought a charango from him years ago and it is a nice instrument for reasonable money. He carries all levels of many of these.
    +1 on Jim's recommendation. Joe Todaro is a first-class guy who knows a lot about these instruments. You might be surprised at what he will have on hand in his shop, too.

I build Charangos and Ronroco. I live in Florida. Morenopaco@aol.com

QUOTE=Dr H;1282637]Seems like this particular forum is where the luthiers might tend to cluster, so I'm posting this here, even though it's not precisely mandolin-oriented.

I am considering commissioning a custom charangon -- a larger relative of the charango. I have been researching tThank his instrument for a couple of years, and information on how it is distinct from the ronroco (another larger charango relative) is sketchy and conflicting, at best. So I'm thinking of just gathering the best info I have, designing my own instrument, and finding someone to build it for me.

It would seem most logical that the maker be one skilled in the construction of traditional ronrocos and charangos, and most these (I'm told) live and work in South America. Thus far, I've not had much success in locating any with whom I've been able to make contact. "Charango Mall", on the web, has a list of supposed charango luthiers, but no means by which they might be contacted directly. Searching out individual names on the Web has mostly produced links to other retail outlets, and dead ends.

So... might anyone here be in contact with, or know how I can get in contact with one or more South American luthiers, experienced in building ronrocos, who might be willing to create an over-sized custom instrument for a crazy gringo musician, for an appropriate fee?

TIA.[/QUOTE]