Thread: $3.99 tuner

Default $3.99 tuner

This increasingly deaf dumb and blind luthier is enjoying the cleartune gizmo-app on my hand-me-down bench ipad, tried a strobe type but it picked up way too much info. NFI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0583.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	118624  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldwave maker For This Useful Post:

Default Re: $3.99 tuner

gString is a free tuner app. However, I still prefer the clip on tuner as it works even in noisy or dark environment.
    My clip on picks up the vibration from the headstock and display the note on its color LED screen. It has many different settings: chromatic, guitar, violin & mandolin, ukulele and bass.

What??!! No one has come up with a way to clip your iPad to the headstock of your mandolin?

Bill: It is great to see that you are now in the 21st century. I am still in the 19th, methinks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    What??!! No one has come up with a way to clip your iPad to the headstock of your mandolin?

Bill: It is great to see that you are now in the 21st century. I am still in the 19th, methinks.
    That is why he has over 20K posts on an online forum, Soundcloud account and a Facebook page.
    Bill Snyder

How do you stick the iPad (or Samsung tablet) in your pocket ?
    Must be a very big pocket.

That's cool. I use PitchLab (which comes free with about a half-dozen different "skins") or else a clip-on Snark (which, btw, has a really crappy ball-joint attachment, where the little ball at the end of the stalk attaches to the back of the tuner by means of three flanges; one of them broke off about a day after I got the thing. It still works, with the two remaining flanges just barely sufficient to hold onto the ball joint, but it falls off at the slightest nudge.)

Contact Snark. I think they will send you a new one. Snark has great customer service.
    Oldieone

And I just got a new tuning fork :-)) but I train my ear with an app called Karajan.

i have that and I also have the same towel you have !

While this is indeed a dedicated benchtop tuner ipad for one of the 5 workbenches in my big robot mandolinstamping factory, I had no problem clamping it to my mando once I removed a few of the superfluous string posts from the peghead. Not wanting to open a separate can o' worms, but when installed, it seems to increase sustain to boot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	118728  

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldwave maker For This Useful Post: