Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordoba Announces Plan to Purchase Guild from Fender

Default Re: Cordoba Announces Plan to Purchase Guild from Fender

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Let's hope it does stay in the USA. The press release hints at that, but a quick glance at the Cordoba site shows their nylon string guitars are made in Spain, China, or the USA depending on price point. Their ukes are all made in China.

So they're positioned to go either way, or a mix of high-end USA models and lower-end models from China, like Breedlove and others.

(Owner of a mid '70's Guild D25M and early 80's Guild Studio 24 here, so I hope they can maintain a prestige status for the brand).
    I have a pre-Fender, early 1990's D6N. Kind of a classic dreadnaught natural finish. They didn't make many of them, most were the D4N model. It's my only acoustic 6-string. I had a Fishman active pickup installed. It still sounds great, but I did get some weather cracks when I used to drag it around in the winter, even though it was in a hardshell case.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    Have you ever owned a Heritage? I have never heard anyone knock Heritage guitars. They don't make very many of them and most of them are sent to Europe and Japan where they are very popular. I play one and it's the nicest electric I have ever owned. I would put it against any electric.
    Yes! I have a CM-140 that was a factory second (blemish on the back of the headstock). It's just like the CM150 "Les Paul", but the mahogany body is thinner (it still has the flame maple top). Mine is a tobacco burst.

3. The following members say thank you to GratefulFred for this post:

I simply cannot love the Heritage peghead, despite it being a snakehead. Funny that.....
    They are possibly more Gibson than Gibson in many ways, and a good value, .....until resale.
    I came close to buying a Heritage Kenny Burrell, and, I just cant feel good about it.....

I have a ct-made d-40 bluegrass jubilee. I think it is a pretty great guitar and in many ways produces a better sound than the newer martins (the guild headstock can be a bit much especially considering the scale length is one of the longest). I wouldn't put it up against a vintage hog but who knows, maybe someday. Sad to see that factory go. There's just something I like about a northeast guitar shop if only because Guild started here and I happen to live here.

Guild made some nice guitars out of mahogany. I know of no Guilds made from "hog." Bacon is a good use for hog, though.

Quote Originally Posted by H.P. View Post
    Guild made some nice guitars out of mahogany. I know of no Guilds made from "hog." Bacon is a good use for hog, though.
    Apologies if I offended your taxonomist sensibilities.

8. The following members say thank you to brent1308 for this post:

Big fan of guild, got a used S 50 electric in 1968 , it's still hangin' on my studio wall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16hHJHMFH!)bVy7VBSZZMgkwYw~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	119070
    Jim Richmond

10. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Big fan of guild, got a used S 50 electric in 1968 , it's still hangin' on my studio wall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16hHJHMFH!)bVy7VBSZZMgkwYw~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	119070
    cool- does yours have the built-in stand on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    cool- does yours have the built-in stand on the back?
    Nope, no stand on back ,but the two "feet" on the bottom points do make leaning it against an amp far more secure. It has a really fine sounding pickup as well.
    Jim Richmond