Thread: Removing Vintage Gibson Pickguard - Advice?

Default Removing Vintage Gibson Pickguard - Advice?

I'm trying to remove the pickguard on a 1928 oval hole Gibson A model so I can do fretwork on it. Anyone have advice for pulling it off where the pin holds it into the side of the fretboard? I'm trying to gently rotate and wiggle it out, slipping a palette knife and plastic wedge spudger in there, but it's pretty stubborn. Last thing I want to do is break it. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Removing Vintage Gibson Pickguard - Advice?

You're on the right track, just keep at it. It will eventually come loose.I've had some that took hours to get off.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Little hijack here, sorry, I was thinking vintage as in 'inlaid' pickguard. I'm re-working an old Weyman w/ the inlaid guard already off. Best adhesive to re-appy with ? I was thinking hide glue.

Can't help with the Weyman, but thanks, Vernon, that was just the encouragement I needed. Continued at it with a little more vigor and got it off within a couple minutes.

5. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobe View Post
    Little hijack here, sorry, I was thinking vintage as in 'inlaid' pickguard. I'm re-working an old Weyman w/ the inlaid guard already off. Best adhesive to re-appy with ? I was thinking hide glue.
    Not sure about mandolins but on flat top guitars the recommended approach is a special two-sided clear adhesive -- it is sold in 8"x11" (or smaller) sheets (Stew-Mac) and you cut it to exact size and remove the backing paper on both sides. Not many glues stick well to varnish or lacquer.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The nail closest to the fretboard is probably driven in at downward angle...the last one I removed was almost at a 45 degree angle.
    Otherwise, slow and easy, just as you describe.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Doug, I had this issue with a recent restoration of a Gibson DY mandolin. The fingerboard needed to be reglued so the luthier removed the fingerboard with the pickguard still attached. This gave access to the two mounting pins from the point end and he was able to push them out safely. I was very happy since the DY uses a unique guard which almost never show up separately. The pins were stuck tight and it would have almost surely broken the guard trying to pry it off. Like you, I tried that way first.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

It all worked out great, thanks. Nail wasn't bent, but it was pretty jagged, like it had been cut with a dull hacksaw, so it had a pretty good bite into the pickguard.