Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibsons sweeping away the taterbugs

Default Gibsons sweeping away the taterbugs

From an old Gibson catalog, I believe. My local luthier had it posted up in his shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-01 19.23.18.jpg 
Views:	2387 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	119185
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amanda Gregg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gibsons sweeping away the taterbugs

I love it! Gibson A and F model mandolins were an emerging technology that displaced the tried and true (but hard to hold) tater-bugs. What will be next... carbon-fiber replacing wood?

Ovation displaced a number of traditional guitars for several decades but we can see how that turned out over the long-haul.

Sam

That is one of the coolest mandolin posters I've ever seen. The fact that it's done in a pseudo-political-cartoon style is great! I'm a sucker for vintage propaganda/political posters, and this one really says a lot! Thanks for posting it.

Blog Entries

It is a cool drawing. I don't know when it was done probably back in the first two decades of the 20th century because I recall seeing it in the mid-1970's and I remember thinking of it as "old" at the time! edit -- on second look the date 1908 is on the drawing! LOL!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    I love it! Gibson A and F model mandolins were an emerging technology that displaced the tried and true (but hard to hold) tater-bugs. What will be next... carbon-fiber replacing wood?

Ovation displaced a number of traditional guitars for several decades but we can see how that turned out over the long-haul.

Sam
    That is why some members are preparing for the revenge of the taterbug -- get one now, avoid the rush!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie: I've got one! A wall-hanger purchased from a wanna-be hippie kid that was passing through town and needed $50 in a bad way!

Sam

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

Looks like we have already discussed where to find old copies of the magazine that was run in:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-The-Crescendo
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    Bernie: I've got one! A wall-hanger purchased from a wanna-be hippie kid that was passing through town and needed $50 in a bad way! Sam
    Sam great minds think alike -- here is the scene above our 1926 Steinway & Sons upright. Our piano does not have a Virzi though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pianoshot.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	119193  
    Bernie
    ____

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Amanda. This crops up here from time to time. A great image. I think it is interesting to see which bowlback manufacturers get a shout-out as they are swept to sea: Regal, Brandt, Bay State, Waldo. Not exactly the Big Four.

And then there were those who didn't: Vega, Martin, Washburn / Lyon + Healy, Schmidt, who might have been Gibson's real competition.

The tater-bugs sure look creepy, though.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

The shame of it is that there now is no, (or hardly any) luthiers making bowlbacks, here in the US. Its hard to find a bowlback on the continent that is under 100 years old.

The sweeping was a little too thorough I am afraid.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The shame of it is that there now is no, (or hardly any) luthiers making bowlbacks, here in the US. Its hard to find a bowlback on the continent that is under 100 years old. The sweeping was a little too thorough I am afraid.
    Fighting back against "the sweep" one taterbug at a time! Very cool video.

Bernie
    ____

That would look great on the front of a tee shirt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    That would look great on the front of a tee shirt.
    I agree. But I don't think Caterina Lichtenberg would want one!
    Bernie
    ____

That carton was originally an ad in the September, 1908 issue of "The Cadenza" magazine. The artist's name was William Foster. Gibson certainly didn't pull any punches when it came to trashing the competition.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Oh the other hand Gibson also touted the harp guitar as what would eventually replace the 6-string -- you see how effective that was. It is only in the last decade or two that harp guitars have had any following.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Oh the other hand Gibson also touted the harp guitar as what would eventually replace the 6-string -- you see how effective that was. It is only in the last decade or two that harp guitars have had any following.
    Harp is a nice word. The term 'tater-bug' makes me cringe almost as much as 'Gibby'. Verbal / mental nails on a chalkboard.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have a small collection of vintage Gibson sheet music and this is on one with a copyright date of 1910.

Name:	tater.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	119229

Name:	tater2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	119227

Phil

20. The following members say thank you to goaty76 for this post:

Here's the original ad:

Name:	1908-09 Tater bug ad Cadenza.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	119231
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

22. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    From an old Gibson catalog, I believe. My local luthier had it posted up in his shop.

Name:	2014-05-01 19.23.18.jpg 
Views:	2387 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	119185
    Am I the only one who finds this illustration creepy? The face on the Gibson-thing looks rather demonic. The scroll definitely is a horn. Funny, in a sardonic and sinister way, but definitely creepy.

bratsche
    who is left feeling sorry for the poor little "taterbugs" (and yes, I hate that term, too)
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

24. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

I find it interesting that they were thought of as "bugs" even back then. Must be an old name for the form.
    I also enjoyed the banners flying from the buildings.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this illustration creepy? The face on the Gibson-thing looks rather demonic. The scroll definitely is a horn. Funny, in a sardonic and sinister way, but definitely creepy.

bratsche
    who is left feeling sorry for the poor little "taterbugs" (and yes, I hate that term, too)
    It is creepy; looks like violence was way more pc than today. Also, the idea of "progress" in the art of building instruments (heck, or in any art) seems kind of outdated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    I find it interesting that they were thought of as "bugs" even back then. Must be an old name for the form.
    I also enjoyed the banners flying from the buildings.
    Yeah, I did notice that the caption below the ad (in the original version posted by pfox14) referred to "potato bugs". So the term was apparently in common use even in 1908. It would be interesting to see when it was first used, and by whom. Could have been a marketing ploy by Gibson to poke fun at bowlbacks.

But then again, considering the colloquialisms of those who settled most of the United States, and considering that most of them were farmers, I would rather tend to think that the term grew from the natural similarity to the actual potato beetle (which must have been an infuriating pest for potato farmers). I mean, how can you look at this critter and not think of a bowlback mandolin? Humans have a surprisingly common tendency to name (or nickname) their creations after what they see in nature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Fighting back against "the sweep" one taterbug at a time! Very cool video.
    Very cool. I could hire myself out as a luthier watcher. I could just sit and watch.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Yeah, I did notice that the caption below the ad (in the original version posted by pfox14) referred to "potato bugs". So the term was apparently in common use even in 1908. It would be interesting to see when it was first used, and by whom. Could have been a marketing ploy by Gibson to poke fun at bowlbacks.

But then again, considering the colloquialisms of those who settled most of the United States, and considering that most of them were farmers, I would rather tend to think that the term grew from the natural similarity to the actual potato beetle (which must have been an infuriating pest for potato farmers). I mean, how can you look at this critter and not think of a bowlback mandolin? Humans have a surprisingly common tendency to name (or nickname) their creations after what they see in nature.

Yes Potato bugs (aka Leptinotarsa decemlineata or ten-stripe potato beetle) -- I dealt them long before I knew what a mandolin was. One of the things we did to try making a living on the North Dakota prairies was to raise certified seed potatoes. The dry air of the Dakotas is good for avoiding a lot of the potato plant diseases but the potato bugs were there. They are difficult to control with pesticides which were not great in the late '40's -early '50's anyway. But since the seed potato fields were small my grandfather use a "manual" approach -- he would unleash about 30 of his grandchildren on a field each armed with a small tin can of kerosene. We stripped the fields of the bugs as they do not seem to swim well in kerosene. At the end of growing season we each received two silver dollars for our efforts and we considered ourselves very lucky and wealthy indeed.
    Bernie
    ____

I guess the term "tater bug" was, indeed, meant to poke fun at bowlbacks, since I've never heard somebody call them "Colorado Beetle mandolins".

31. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post: