Thread: The Loar LM-700-VS tuners...should I replace?

Default The Loar LM-700-VS tuners...should I replace?

Hi everyone! My first post to the forum...I tried searching, but I couldn't find an answer to my question, so I hope someone can help or offer advice. I just got The Loar LM-700-VS and I really like the tone and playability (I'm an old guitarist just learning Mando), but the tuners feel terrible. I believe they are Gotoh tuners. Three are incredibly hard to turn and two feel very loose. Should I replace the tuners or is there something I can do to "adjust" the tuners that are an issue? It's a brand new instrument directly from ML, so it hasn't been in a showroom getting any play. I saw Grover replacements on Stew Mac that I could use if they are an exact match. Does anyone know if this is so? I'd rather not have to do any drilling or modification.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Ken

Default Re: The Loar LM-700-VS tuners...should I replace?

Hi Ken,

The tuners on the 700 are good quality, so I would stick with them and just do some adjustments. lube everything up with graphite (bicycle lubricant), and adjust the screw tension. If you swap tuners, I would expect to re-drill the plate holes at the very least. There are often issue with the bushings as well.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

the strings wont pull the capstan backwards and cause the worm gear to turn backwards
    any more than you can make a stalled car go forward by pushing it sideways.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

No... Gotoh makes an acceptable tuner. You are probably used to the feel of guitar style tuners with greater gear reduction. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Try adjustment and lubrication before considering replacement. In my experience, most tuners -- even old inexpensive ones -- can be coaxed into working adequately.

Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Have a look at this page on Frank Ford's ''Frets.com'' website :- http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...geartune3.html
    I followed his instructions & adjusted the gears on both my mandolins.They tune up as smoothly as butter sliding off a hot knife. They work as perfectly as i'd ever want,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

9. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Hi CTYANKEE2, I have the equally good Loar 600 model. I have had no issues with the tuners, but last week a did manage to break a couple and I needed urgent replacement. I tried everywhere, even bought some on spec, but none would fit without drilling. I emailed Loar and they told me that replacements were available from their agents. I am in the UK, needless to say nobody stocked them. I eventually found them at THOMMAN in Germany (www.thomman.de). Arrived quickly and they were perfect = Grover V Delux, and I think I paid about 70 Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Interesting read. I just got a loar mandolin, my first mandolin. The tuners are indeed really stiff and hard to turn. Is this the norm for mandolins?

Am I reading that article right? All I need to do is add a little lube and loosen the screw on the back a little bit

LBV - If it's the Frets.Com. website that you're reading,then yes. Loosen the screws holding the gear wheels & then re-tighten them again,just 'finger tight'. One note of caution - use the correctly sized screwdriver bit.There's no need to have them any tighter than that,because even if they were really slack,the worm gears on the tuner shafts won't rotate. Add a little lubrication to the worms/gears where they mesh & i mean VERY little,especially if it's some type of oil. A cotton wool bud soaked in 3-In-One Oil will do fine,just lightly dab it on & turn the gears a few times. You could of course use a either a Dry Graphite lubricant or Graphite grease,again,very sparingly.As the worms/gears rotate,the lube.will spread itself around.The tuners will of course be still stiffer to turn when they have strings on them (stating the blindingly obvious there !),but they should be a lot smoother,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.