Thread: What mandocello music to you listen to?

Default What mandocello music to you listen to?

Sure, Mike Marshall is probably Top 10 with you.... but who else do you dig?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotMelloCello For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What mandocello music to you listen to?

Doesn't' seem to be a lot out there. Mike Marshall is always a winner, no matter what he does, but can't Yardley play any of it myself. Some limited stuff on utube. End up listening to a lot of cello stuff. Have heard a lot of the Bach cello suites and even saw a guy play a one on my 'cello. Wish there was more out there. Mostly listen to myself trying to imitate mandolin tabs,conflict out stuff by ear. Not really an answer, I guess, just my 2 cents . Plus I dislike seeing any question which nobody responds to.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandomonte for this post:

Quite a lot of good stuff out there -- only picking a few of the pro/semi-pro players:

Dave Harvey & Tim May:

Simon Mayor:

Steve Smith:

Will Patton & Peter Mix (playing a Telemann duet):

Chris Thile (really just fooling around):

Atsushi Ichikawa (probably the most fun you can have on mandocello):

Alex Timmermann:

Martin

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Well, thanks guys - but I meant CD's...

I use something neat called You Repeat... I searched for "mandocello" and get a list over 10 pages long of every YouTube video with the word mandocello in the posting. Of course, that D'Addario vid featuring Mike Marshall is number one.

I am trying to learn some of his arrangements, as well as Steve Smith's "Mariners Ward", and some nameless piece played on a Weber Mandocello as a demonstration.

Not really interested in Bach or bluegrass, but jazz stylings and pop renderings appeal to me. I think mandocello can be more versatile than most folks would think.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Hm. Nothing specific song wise, but Show of Hands are noted in the use of Mandocello for english folk influenced songs, and I'm a beginner fan of them. I actually passed up on a chance to one of their surplus 'cellos (but I'm sure a few others would've gotten ahead of the queue). David Oddy builds them.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

What I love to hear and play the most is Hawaiian Slack key, a genre which sounds incredibly rich and melodic on the mandocello. So far, I'm the only one I know playing slack key on the 'cello. So check out guitar players like Keola Beamer, Moses Kahumoku, George Kahumoku, the late Dennis Kamakahi and more. Here is an early attempt of mine:

Mike Marshall's Gator Strut album....

Blog Entries

Here are more videos from an earlier thread on this topic.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

I like to attempt all kinds of music on the mandocello -- the big challenge is to learn new patterns so you can keep the tune in the "right key".
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Well, thanks guys - but I meant CD's...

I use something neat called You Repeat... I searched for "mandocello" and get a list over 10 pages long of every YouTube video with the word mandocello in the posting. Of course, that D'Addario vid featuring Mike Marshall is number one.

I am trying to learn some of his arrangements, as well as Steve Smith's "Mariners Ward", and some nameless piece played on a Weber Mandocello as a demonstration.

Not really interested in Bach or bluegrass, but jazz stylings and pop renderings appeal to me. I think mandocello can be more versatile than most folks would think.
    Minor point of interest. I talked to Steve Smith one day about that tune and its actual name is "Mariner Ward". The song was written to honor a WWII navy vet that Steve's family knew. His last name was Ward and the song depicts his war journey from quite port into the naval battles of the South Pacific and then back home to safe harbor. Great composition.
    Bernie
    ____

15. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

I like to attempt all kinds of music on the mandocello -- the big challenge is to learn new patterns so you can keep the tune in the "right key".
    OMG! Now I can put a face to the name. Just how long have you been playing mandocello, Bernie?

Blog Entries

OMG! Now I can put a face to the name. Just how long have you been playing mandocello, Bernie?
    A few years off and on but I will probably have to stop as I have developed too much degenerative arthritis in my hands -- it seemed to become really bad when I start playing around with mandocellos...
    Bernie
    ____

Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick plays one on a few of their earlier recordings, including a song called "Mandocello". That's where I first heard of one, but oddly, never found any other artists of that genre in that era using one.
    Eastman MD505w/K&K, MDO315 w/K&K, MD415GD, Emando (JBbouvier) 5-string

Norman and Nancy Blake with Mike Seeger - "Black Jack Davie", Peter Oustroushko Katarina's Waltz, Modern Mandolin quartet, Mike Marshall and Darol Anger "The Duo" ,Neil Hellman and Joe Weed "Oktober Country", Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg...... I'm sure I will think of more.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Sure, Mike Marshall is probably Top 10 with you.... but who else do you dig?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandomonte View Post
    Doesn't' seem to be a lot out there. Mike Marshall is always a winner, no matter what he does,
    Yeah, Mike is probably Top 1 with me. "Gator Strut" is probably still the mandocello anthem, but he has taken the instrument way beyond that this century, and I can't think of anyone else who is even close.

still trying to turn dreams into memories

Marcus, if you are looking for solo Mandocello sheet music of a mixed semi-classical nature, I have been promoting and collecting music for a few years now. Happy to provide some examples and sources if you are interested.
    jim

Thanks, Jim, but I never got fluent reading treble clef, so I got pretty frustrated when I tried working with bass clef years ago. On mandocello, I just work out everything by ear.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Charlie & Jensen - bandcamp

Luke William Wright

Last edited by Michael Wolf; Mar-19-2021 at 4:41am.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Wolf For This Useful Post:

dangMrMoe 

It seems to be a difficult instrument? I think there is a bit of a punk rock element to some of these sounds. I wonder how a mandocello for nylon or gut would sound? I think the ones I like most may have flat wound strings? It is realy great to hear these. I will be re visting them all. Thanks!

Last edited by MrMoe; Jun-29-2021 at 7:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    It seems to be a difficult instrument?
    Yes, it does seem to be difficult, especially for someone like me who started playing late in life as arthritis began creeping in. But I want to argue that it's worth it. Some days I only play a few minutes, then take a break. But as a choral music educator who always loved cello music (but never played it) this instrument opened up a lot of new and wonderful musical experiences. It also started me on a quest to find music written specifically for the plucked big guy, which in turn led to friendships with people like August Watters, John Goodin, Radim Zenkl, and Fabio Giudice.
    I will be offering some new music and some ideas at the San Diego CMSA Convention. I am not a particularly good player--as I said, started late, never played strings when young--but will be passing on literature and ideas I have gleaned from my teachers. There will be new compositions, and maybe some will be recorded. If it works out as I hope, there will be more and more truly mandocello music for all of you to listen to.
    Stay tuned--all 8 big strings.
    jim

28. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

MrMoe