Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying the Big One (Capital B, Capital O)

Default Re: Buying the Big One (Capital B, Capital O)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    I think this is a good thread and I'm sure more people will have plenty of good advice. I have yet to acquire a "Big One"....currently pretty satisfied with my Weber Bitterroot...but have recently starting dreaming of a Weber Fern or a Collings MF5 Deluxe Varnish.
    Contemplating a trip out to Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh to get some hands on time with that level of Collings.

Anyway, in an effort to add something to this conversation.....two things......first, I think you (all of us) need to develop your musical ear to hear the higher "levels" of quality.....not just look at a price tag and believe it's "better" because it's more expensive. Not implying you would do this, but it's only natural. Training your ear is paramount. Only then could you fully appreciate the highest build quality that comes with that high price tag.

Also, I think that having that personal, emotional connection to the instrument is the part you can't put into words. You must feel that it's "YOUR" instrument and someone else has it and they are selling it. How are they doing that? : ) That's how I felt when I found my Weber at The Mandolin Store....I was like...wow....that is MY instrument. I then had to buy it of course.
    Weber makes a beautiful Fern, I have one and it's special when you get you one play a Bighorn just for fun.
    When I head out the door to a BG Jam that Bh is the one that I battle banjos with , tone volume in spades.
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

my MS put's a cramp in my MAS.... I'm getting back use of my fingers and have done some noodling on my Weber SE Cedar... it had that comfortable 'old' sound out of the box....

knowing I'll never get my fingers to chop the way my Collings MF deserves... it's one of the early MFs & the gentleman I got it from said by far the superior instrument to the Collings MF5V he ordered when he sold me mine.... that mandolin NEEDS to be played fast, loud & often... have'nt advertised it yet but would appreciate input on finding her a good home...

Hello,

I enjoyed that folk song Amanda! Something I've experienced that runs counter to the "play everything you can", "take your time" convention is that it's also important to be willing to "jump" to get a great instrument. On more than one occasion I've had an opportunity to get a great one at a good price and I've had to take quick action to make it happen. Negotiate for the seller to hold it on a sort of layaway, or make a couple of calls for a short-term family loan. These were vintage instruments in very good condition--the kind that get snapped up quickly. I'm not made of $$ and it seemed kind of risky to get extended like that for an instrument. But looking back I certainly haven't regretted it.

My point is that it's also important not to be totally risk-averse or to get in to analysis paralysis.

Good luck!
    Z
    Member since 2003!

My last five mandolins each have been the Big one ! But---------------my soon to be born Heiden will be the Big One ! Well, maybe !

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    Hello,

I enjoyed that folk song Amanda! Something I've experienced that runs counter to the "play everything you can", "take your time" convention is that it's also important to be willing to "jump" to get a great instrument. On more than one occasion I've had an opportunity to get a great one at a good price and I've had to take quick action to make it happen. Negotiate for the seller to hold it on a sort of layaway, or make a couple of calls for a short-term family loan. These were vintage instruments in very good condition--the kind that get snapped up quickly. I'm not made of $$ and it seemed kind of risky to get extended like that for an instrument. But looking back I certainly haven't regretted it.

My point is that it's also important not to be totally risk-averse or to get in to analysis paralysis.

Good luck!
    Z
    Amen to that!

That's how I got my F5L....opportunity knocked out of nowhere and I jumped on it; and now am in financial purgatory for another couple of weeks LOL! But at least I'll get out of this self imposed purgatory...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Nick,
    Your road warrior F5L is well worth a short trip through financial purgatory and an Eastman F! It's one of the coolest mandolins I have seen posted here on the Cafe.
    Z

7. The following members say thank you to Zissou Intern for this post: