Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashbury bouzouki

Default Ashbury bouzouki

HEY GUYS, ANY IDEAS ON THIS? IM PLAYING AN OZARK 2243 BUT LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT SOUND AND BETTER QUALITY INSTRUMENT. IT MAY BE KNOWN AS A DIFFERENT BRAND IN OTHER COUNTRIES, THANKS FOR THE HELP

http://www.waltons.ie/home/products/...arne-bouzouki/,

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: Ashbury bouzouki

Hi Garry , do take the capslock off - in internetland that's classed as shouting!

Ashbury make decent enough stuff (I started a thread on their guitar bodied octave mandolin the other month, which was very playable and to my fingers, easier to play, and half the price of my handbuilt Fylde OM). They are made in vietnam but with UK luthiers' design (Phil Davidson badges their mandos and ukes (and he's been out to the factory I noticed once when I was on his computer (ahem...))) and are built pretty well. I guess the saving is in the cost of labour and factory methods.

I would prefer it over the Ozark (though this is without knowledge) but is it big enough a leap?
    Can you wait to save more and get something nice like one of Tom Buchanan's? Mine's superb.
    Don't forget the classifieds section if you want to get something a wee bit cheaper.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Badger, I've wondered about this one myself since it appeared at the Hobgoblin site. Certainly I'm not expecting luthier quality, but it would be nice to have a bouzouki with unison stringing to add to my octave-strung Trinity College until such time as I can afford luthier-built.

Couple of quick questions: would you remember if the tailpiece on their OM can take ball-end strings, and does it have strap pins? Thanks for any info...

The GOM is nice. Playable (and as I hinted, more so to me than my fylde (personal take)).
    Nice instrument.

I'd still get myself something in the same bracket as Fylde though pricewise. Luthier built without going mad pricewise.

I'm holding off a new OM. Using my zouk in the main (and my tenor). Got enough for now having spent a fair bit this last year.

I do want to get a low price 8 string uke though.. that looks like fun!

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post

I'd still get myself something in the same bracket as Fylde though pricewise. Luthier built without going mad pricewise.
    Thanks Badger. My original plan was to get a guitar tech to make the nut and saddle on the Trinity College suitable for unison stringing, and keep saving for something better, so I think I'll stick with that rather than spend more money on another compromise instrument. I am pretty impressed with everything I've seen and heard about Fylde, so that is a very likely choice for me. Thanks for the input!

Hi Garry , do take the capslock off - in internetland that's classed as shouting!

Ashbury make decent enough stuff (I started a thread on their guitar bodied octave mandolin the other month, which was very playable and to my fingers, easier to play, and half the price of my handbuilt Fylde OM). They are made in vietnam but with UK luthiers' design (Phil Davidson badges their mandos and ukes (and he's been out to the factory I noticed once when I was on his computer (ahem...))) and are built pretty well. I guess the saving is in the cost of labour and factory methods.

I would prefer it over the Ozark (though this is without knowledge) but is it big enough a leap?
    Can you wait to save more and get something nice like one of Tom Buchanan's? Mine's superb.
    Don't forget the classifieds section if you want to get something a wee bit cheaper.
    I have been talking to tom a while back, however getting the €1500 required will take me best part of a year. should I just stay with the Ozark and save my penneys so?

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    I have been talking to tom a while back, however getting the €1500 required will take me best part of a year. should I just stay with the Ozark and save my penneys so?
    Surf eBay and Gumtree or the like ads and you’ll get one for way below that. Speaking from personal experience….
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Yep. And new, there's plenty in stock if you look at stores like Hobgoblin... He makes them to stock as do Fylde!
    http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/produ...anan-Bouzouki/

honestly, you won't regret it ... mwah ha ha! (evil laugh)

(no personal interest, i just know!)

My band's website

Yep. And new, there's plenty in stock if you look at stores like Hobgoblin... He makes them to stock as do Fylde!
    http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/produ...anan-Bouzouki/

honestly, you won't regret it ... mwah ha ha! (evil laugh)

(no personal interest, i just know!)
    I have to agree. I have bought and sold (always at a loss) a lot of compromise instruments in my time. No other way to put it. I have come to the inescapable conclusion that it's better to save and get something you really want in every way: sound, appearance, feel in your hands, and that will last you a lot of years. Something that makes you want to grab it and play it all the time.

Garry, you have your Ozark and I have my Trinity College, and looking at pics of the Ozark I have to say it is almost certainly another rebadged TC from the same factory, just like the Johnson MA-400 and the Ashbury AM-375. We have something decent, not great, to play while we save and wait, which is better than nothing at all. Play on, and save those pennies!

10. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post:

Indeed. I am not saying the buchanan is the best ever, but it'll keep me going til next time I feel like splurging. I don't feel a need to upgrade as a result - not a bad thing eh?

My band's website

Indeed. I am not saying the buchanan is the best ever, but it'll keep me going til next time I feel like splurging. I don't feel a need to upgrade as a result - not a bad thing eh?
    Wow, not feeling the need to upgrade...wonder how that feels. Some day I'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Wow, not feeling the need to upgrade...wonder how that feels. Some day I'll know.
    Can be a bit of a mixed feeling… when I bought my Sobell OM I thought it was the ultimate instrument for me…. then realised the days of hopefully searching the classifieds were over….
    So then I just started looking for a good Waldzither instead….
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    Can be a bit of a mixed feeling… when I bought my Sobell OM I thought it was the ultimate instrument for me…. then realised the days of hopefully searching the classifieds were over….
    So then I just started looking for a good Waldzither instead….
    Ah yes...that feeling! And maybe a nice mandola, perhaps a Greek bouzouki in honour of Alec Finn and early Irvine/Lunny, and a Portuguese guitarra too...oh no, it never ends!

One more thought for Garry: don't overlook Phil Crump. His reputation and pricing are pretty amazing, might be my go-to guy when the time comes.

That's not upgrading, that's just looking for an excuse to spend again

Octave Saz anyone? DAD tuned?
    Tiple?
    8 String Uke with a CGDA string set?

My band's website

That's not upgrading, that's just looking for an excuse to spend again

Octave Saz anyone? DAD tuned?
    Tiple?
    8 String Uke with a CGDA string set?
    Yes, I confess...on the real side, I think after the upgrade I'll be saving for a trip to the British Isles so I can try out Foleys and Abnetts, OOPS I MEAN TAKE THE FAMILY FOR SOME NICE B&B STAYS AND TOURING THE COUNTRYSIDE! You have to watch that sort of thing - Herself might be reading.

Mike. She won't be reading. Trust me.

My band's website

You're right of course, she finds this kind of thing boring. Incomprehensible, but there it is.

One more thought for Garry: don't overlook Phil Crump. His reputation and pricing are pretty amazing, might be my go-to guy when the time comes.
    if only i had the cash.i think i'll go with the ashbury as it has a pickup already, has a warmer sound than the 2243, after that i'll save the Buchannan. ill post some sound bites when i get it, see what y'all think

21. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

if only i had the cash.i think i'll go with the ashbury as it has a pickup already, has a warmer sound than the 2243, after that i'll save the Buchannan. ill post some sound bites when i get it, see what y'all think
    Well, I hear you Garry, I don't have the cash myself. The Ashbury works out to about $670 US, which is still a lot less than any luthier-built instrument and only a bit more than I paid for my used Trinity College, though I did get a great hard case with it. And the "Lindisfarne" has unison stringing in the low courses, which the other Ashbury, the Johnson, and the Trinity College do not. Has a very nice look to it, and that's sure cheap for a koa body. Looking forward to your follow-up as I've been curious about this one as I said. Wish it took ball-end strings but that's just quibbling at that price point.

ps my buchanan isn't compensated, but takes octave stringing well... should that be your thing... it is mine that's for sure

My band's website

ps my buchanan isn't compensated, but takes octave stringing well... should that be your thing... it is mine that's for sure
    It's funny, I love the octave sound from Alec Finn (is it just one course in octaves for him? I guess so...), but most of my favourite players are unison AFAIK, so that's why I'm not entirely happy with my Trinity College. When I play those courses it just sounds wrong to me. I don't even think I'll have it altered in the short term - when the time comes to upgrade I'll go with unisons, sell the TC, and very possibly add a Greek bouzouki. There are some very nice looking instruments and good deals at Bouzouki World in Sacramento, CA.

Not to stray too far OT, but I know next to nothing about Greek bouzoukis, and will turn to the experts here when the time comes. My instinct, as with Irish bouzoukis, is to avoid instruments laden with fancy inlay and stick with simplicity, since I assume one instrument at e.g. $1000 covered in inlay isn't going to be as good as one at the same price with minimal inlay. I could be wrong and am looking forward to learning more...

Well, I hear you Garry, I don't have the cash myself. The Ashbury works out to about $670 US, which is still a lot less than any luthier-built instrument and only a bit more than I paid for my used Trinity College, though I did get a great hard case with it. And the "Lindisfarne" has unison stringing in the low courses, which the other Ashbury, the Johnson, and the Trinity College do not. Has a very nice look to it, and that's sure cheap for a koa body. Looking forward to your follow-up as I've been curious about this one as I said. Wish it took ball-end strings but that's just quibbling at that price point.
    ok guys,PROBLEM ALERT! Ive just found a "as new" rosewood and spruce buchannan for €950. do i go for the Ashbury or work double shifts to buy this baby next week!? help!!

ok guys,PROBLEM ALERT! Ive just found a "as new" rosewood and spruce buchannan for €950. do i go for the Ashbury or work double shifts to buy this baby next week!? help!!
    Is this a genuine question???
    Buy the Buchanan. If you don’t, then once the initial gloss of the Ashbury has worn off you’ll wish you had gone that extra little bit… and you’ll always wonder if it sounded better, or played better, or was nicer to hold….

27. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    Is this a genuine question???
    Buy the Buchanan. If you don’t, then once the initial gloss of the Ashbury has worn off you’ll wish you had gone that extra little bit… and you’ll always wonder if it sounded better, or played better, or was nicer to hold….
    I totally agree. Further, I have looked at a lot more pics of the Ashbury and it doesn't look too good. Finish is not great, and doesn't seem to have a truss rod. Just saying...

29. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post: