Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

Default Re: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I would really like to hear bluegrass jam versions of Knockin' On Heaven's Door. We could make that the next overplayed song sensation.
    It already is in my neck of the woods.

OK, this is the obligatory Wagon Wheel clip from yesterday. You have to do this to get hired now and it is the Farmers Market after all (yeah, they actually paid us something. Came out to about 1 dollar per hour each).

Anyway, I just started in a new band. This is only the second time we ever played this together and the other guys don't know the words so I sang lead but I got to use my new banjo. I've only been playing at clawhammer banjo about a month so cut some slack.

Its a little thin w/o much back up but they will get it quick and will sound better soon and I may switch off lead vocal on it. It was just recorded with a smart phone so sound is poor.

The kid on my mando just learned the 2 finger chords for the song a few hours prior. He usually does lead electric. He did a great job.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6B_...p=docslist_api
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thank goodness it's just one verse and chorus!

Hey, I'm kidding. Mostly. And it could be worse, like nearly the whole song. That's what we've got here ...

What happened is, someone had put $20 in the bucket and requested this, repeatedly, for an hour, even though we kept saying we don't know it. This is mostly true, even though the bass player and I had played it together in another band almost every gig for two years, sometimes twice a night, because it was the guitarist/lead singer who knew all the words, not us. So for the last song, we got a friend to come up and sing it. The crowd went nuts, more than twenty people got up to dance - the biggest such reaction we've ever gotten - and fortunately a friend got most of it on video. It has gotten the biggest reaction of any of our videos as well.

Prophetically, our guitarist/lead singer quit the band a few weeks later - well, tried to kill the band, actually, snaking our gigs for his other band - and we replaced him with this guy. Ah, sweet irony!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

"Wagon Wheel"

Headed down south to the wand of the pines
    I'm thumbin' my way into Noth Cawohwine
    Stehwin' up the woad
    And pway to God I see headwights
    I made it down the coast in seventeen owahs
    Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood fwaawahs
    And I'm a hopin' for Waweigh
    I can see my baby tonight

[Chowus:]
    So wock me mama wike a wagon wheew
    Wock me mama anyway you feew
    Hey mama wock me
    Wock me mama wike the wind and the wain
    Wock me mama wike a south-bound twain
    Hey mama wock me

Wunnin' from the code up in New Engwand
    I was born to be a fiddwer in an old-time stwing band
    My baby pways the guitah
    I pick a banjo now
    Oh, the Noth countwy winters keep a gettin' me now
    Wost my money pwayin' pokeh so I had to up and weave
    But I ain't a tuhnin' back
    To wivin' that ode wife no mo

[Chowus]

Wakin' due south out of Woanoke
    I caught a twucker out of Phiwwy
    Had a nice wong toke
    But he's a headed west fwom the Cumberwand Gap
    To Johnson City, Tennessee
    And I gotta get a move on befoah the sun
    I hear my baby cawwin' my name
    And I know that she's the ownwy one
    And if I die in Waweigh
    At weast I will die fwee

[Chowus]

5. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

jaycat 

After playing in a bar band Stateside for a few months during the early 1980s, I grew to hate Freebird, as in refusing to play it again for literally 30 years. Then one afternoon on the beach last year I fired up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and a couple of coconuts and started plinking around with it fingerstyle on a ukulele, of all things. It worked surprisingly well with re-entrant tuning, and I've been fooling around with it on mandolin since then. I'm gonna bust it out next time we have an audience, just to see how they react. If no physical injury or property damage results, then you can bet I'll stick it in the set list, or at least the "stuff we'll do if requested" list.

Got a cover version of Hoyt Axton's Snowblind Friend ready to bust out, too. (That veers away from popular and smack into "You will play a happy song next.")

Around here it's the Jimmy Buffet songs that tend to be grossly overplayed, especially A Pirate Looks at 40 and Margaritaville. We still do 'em, though--cheerfully--and more often than not will throw in Cowboy in the Jungle, Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street, and/or West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown during the course of the evening.

The good thing is that nobody cares if you never play the same solo twice, as long as you're in the right key. If they even notice that, by that time of night.
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

7. The following members say thank you to John Lloyd for this post:

Blog Entries

As you can well imagine, there is the same - if not more so - overabundance of requests for Jimmy Buffett songs here. So much so that one place I played for a couple years with my former band had a strict no-Buffett policy. That place was high on the tourists' must lists, so we had to field lots of requests, and somehow steer them toward something similar but different. My current band has played there several times, and we did only one Buffett song - "Pencil Thin Moustache" - for two reasons: it fits our general style (swing, ragtime, jug band, skiffle), and it was the then lead singer's grandma's favorite song. We did playit there a few times, and received no hassle from management. I assume they didn't know it was a Buffett song, which is not surprising, since it doesn't sound like one.

Speaking of "Free Bird" ... Soon after I landed here over a dozen years ago I teamed up with a guitarist who did mostly classic country. We played three shifts a week at one of the popular downtown bars - OK, Capt. Tony's Saloon, the premises of which are where Hemingway drank when it was Sloppy Joe's, before that establishment moved down the street in protest over a $1 raise in rent. But I digress ... Anyway, at the time the club had a reputation as a songwriters' room, and it was proactive on that front. But it drew in a lot of tourists, who wanted to hear whatever they wanted, with as many yahoo requests as you can imagine. Since we were set up two paces from a corner of the bar, these were often hard to ignore.

Naturally, we would get the occasional "Free Bird!" from some drunk acting like a big shot. The guitarist had a mean streak and a drinking problem - he was one of the bar's best customers, in fact, downing a quart of Jim Beam shot by shot during a four hour shift every time we played - and his general response was the one-finger salute accompanied by "Here's your free bird!" I got tired of this (nice guy that I am) and devised a couple of ways to appease the requester and defuse the situation, in a less confrontational manner. One was to play it bluegrass-style at bluegrass tempo. It cracked people up, and sure got 'er done right quick. Just the first verse and chorus was all I needed to do, as patrons were howling with laughter and the requester was sufficiently abashed, perhaps even sort of satisfied. My other approach was to do it mock-reggae style, with an occasional "mon" and such, which got similar results. Your ukulele treatment is what brought this all to mind. Feel free to use this if you wish.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

The reggae treatment would probably fly here, actually.
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

Blog Entries

Yah, mon. So Jah seh.

Back in the day, my first foray down here, I was in a rock band that was known for, among other things, actually doing "Free Bird." It was in our set list. The triple leads at the end got pretty wild, played on electric guitar, amplified acoustic guitar, and electric mandolin (1950s Gibson EM-150). I also tweaked my pedals (compressor, mostly) to get a sound like a steel drum. This worked great on the few Jimmy Buffett songs we did, especially "A Pirate Looks At 40," one of his best songs IMO. Ah, good times!

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post

". . . Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood fwaawahs . . ."
    When I was a kid growing up in Virginia, our parents made sure we knew that the Dogwood was the OFFICIAL flower (or tree) of the Commonwealth, AND, that if found picking its flowers or otherwise defacing it, we could GO TO JAIL!!!

Looking back over the years, I suspect this was kind of an apocryphal scare tactic aimed at keeping kids off the lawn. But anyway, forewarned is forearmed. Even you, Elmer!

(Oh, I see he picks them in North Carolina, well, never mind).
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I would really like to hear bluegrass jam versions of Knockin' On Heaven's Door. We could make that the next overplayed song sensation.
    Last year's Delfest Academy's band scramble winner played it.

"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is one my band always did that was a crowd-pleaser--but we never played it at the hardcore bluegrass festivals.

Blog Entries

Yes, that's good one. Seems nearly everyone knows it and likes it. Ending with an a capella round is a great way to go.

BTW, he's still in trouble. Of all the states in the country, guess which two have dogwood as their state flower?

Then again, I don't see any references to it being protected. I remember there was a similar situation growing up in CT, where the state flower, mountain laurel, is protected. Fortunately, we had a bush on our property, and we could enjoy its delicate aroma whenever we wished while it was in bloom.

Wow JB, you're right. Who woulda guessed?

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere is fun (we played it yesterday) but I like to sing the 'alternate' lyrics that mention McGuinn and Gunga Din.

Blog Entries

Woulda guessed what? That I'd be right? I tell ya, it's been a little tough, lately ... Whew!

Upon further review ... CT's Laurel Law was repealed in 1969. Never heard that then nor until now.