Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rip off Britain

Default Rip off Britain

Why do we pay twice as much for things in the UK as they are in the USA ?

Strings are one example, but at the moment the price of Golden Gate plectrums [ picks ] is really bugging me.

Just checked at Elderly Instruments, $1.25 each, which is approx £0.74 but at Hobgoblin in Leeds £1.60 and The Music Room in Cleckheaton £1.50

They just seem to take the USA price and double it [ or more ]

Very annoyed, Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Default Re: Rip off Britain

I've got some lovely ocean blue coloured picks-same size,shape and thickness as Golden Gates, PM me your address and i'll send you three -gratis!

3. The following members say thank you to Nick Quig for this post:

Dave - It's been like that for as long as i can remember. Back in the 1960's,i was importing recordings & banjo 'bits' from the US & i got hit with duty & tax even then. I understand what you're complaining about though - the huge prices we're asked to pay for 'ordinary' low end items ie. strings,picks straps etc. I had a look at the cost of Blue Chip picks from the one store in the UK that sells them - £38 UK ($64 US),compared to $34 US (£20 UK). Now considering that most manufacturers sell to their vendors at well below 'market price',that is a massive rip-off. They're obviously trading on the fact that the BC picks have a 'reputation' & you can buy one at 'their' price or take a hike !. The best policy is not to buy from them.
    For small items like the 'Dawg' or 'Golden Gate' picks, it doesn't really bother me,as i know that they're probably not making much profit on them. The UK wholesalers charge the stores more in the UK than the wholesalers in the US do,thus the profit margin is negligible. It's for that reason,that Trevor at TAMCO stopped selling strings,he simply didn't make enough profit to make it worth the hassle - & who could blame him ?. My now retired friend from Liverpool who used to own the store 'Frets Old & New',had to pay to his dealer much more than the US cost of J74 strings.He then had to put his profit margin on top of that.That pushed his price up to £8.50 ($14.30 US) a set . That's when i began importing J74's from the US. But since the US postal charges have increased substantially in the last 2 - 3 years,even that's no longer worth doing,
    Ivan
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; May-20-2014 at 6:03am. Reason: Amendment to US price.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

G7MOFTezzerh 

We are so used to being ripped off that it has become almost accepted, but that doesn't make any sort of analysis of the pricing easier to stomach.

But we do have the NHS!

Slippery slope to political discussion, I know, but if you are comparing cost of living in the US and the UK we have some pretty big advantages which we should remember.
    David A. Gordon

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

I think you need to take into account what the banks charge for the exchange rate and the exchange rate itself. It all depends on how these sellers are handling that part of the business.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Ivan...I used to run a music and repair shop and I did sell small things like strings as well as instruments. It's called providing a service to your customer.

Ivan, Next time I go, if you remind me, I'll happily pick up some J74's for you.
    Tony

Hi Richard - Some folk choose to do this as an 'add-on' service,but if your business 'proper' is taking up most of your time,then maybe spending time doing things for nothing (almost) isn't worth it.You have to invest money in items that are going to sell for very little profit,so why not invest the same money in high value items (mandolins),that do sell at a profit ?. Most stores,even highly regarded stores such as TAMCO,don't have unlimited cash,& Trevor stocks the most important items,mandolins & guitars,knowing full well that there are 100's of other stores in the UK where we can buy our 'strings 'n things'. Tying up cash in very small profit stock,isn't the best way to go (IMHO). However,in the US,where the stores can obtain their stock at well below our UK costs,& because of far larger sales,then it makes sense,but i'd bet even they're not making a fortune out of strings & picks.
    Hello Tony - Re.the offer on J74's - i quit using those particular strings 6 months ago, & now use DR MD11's & MD12's on my instruments. They're more expensive (even in the US) but they seem to be lasting for ages without any loss of power or tone - try some on your new mando.,on which point i'll remind you - i haven't seen yet !!!!!,
    Ivan
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Based on my retail sales experience in the US, we priced strings and picks basically at cost, to get people to frequent our store. Hoping to make the profit when an instrument was purchased. The large chains like Guitar Center will actually lose money on strings to keep people from buying elsewhere.

The US also has more competition more competition leads to lower prices. Free enterprise is good for consumers ,the economic other systems well not so much.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

15. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Ivan... different business model and philosophy. I prefer a "fuller" service personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    The large chains like Guitar Center will actually lose money on strings to keep people from buying elsewhere.
    I broke an 'e' sting on my 'travel' mandolin while tuning it up in the hotel room yesterday. I was able to find a set of J-74s at the local Guitar Center. While I was thankful to have found a set (any set in a pinch), I can assure you they didn't lose any money on the transaction.

I am highly skeptical that GC loses money on strings, or anything, other than theft.

From buying at GC for decades, and shopping the net , they charge market, more or less, and other than promos or clearance, the prices, imho, are actually a bit higher than some on line sources, unless you use the price match option.

As for UK prices, what I find interesting, as a guy still buying CDs, I can usually buy the used CDs I want, via amazon, from 2 UK vendors for less than I can from US vendors, the condition and price and shipping always being as good or better. It has to be her majestys customs-I too cringe when I see what US made instruments sell for in the UK. But compared to Down Under, you have it good in this regard....LOL.

I regularly import my mando bits and pieces from the US to the UK, partly to save money and partly to get a wider choice of strings, picks etc. than I can get in the UK. I don't think the import charges are too bad, especially as the biggest element is VAT which you would have to pay anyway in a UK store. I buy about a year's worth of bits at a time from Elderly Instruments who charge reasonable postage and I find are very reliable and, if not always the cheapest, are always well priced.

I like Cool Picks, which seem unavailable in the UK, and I keep giving them away to other players who take a shine to them. I am sure it would be 'uneconomic' for retailers to bypass the accessory distributors/ wholesalers (who I reckon are a large part of the UK problem) to import such cheap items direct from the States (where most of the good stuff originates) but I would certainly visit my local music stores more if they stocked such uneconomic unusual items and, who knows, buy more expensive stuff in the process.

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Several times a year during GC's holiday sales they will price D'addario guitar strings 10 sets for $20, regular price is $7 at set most places. When I was working at a small mom and pop retailer our cost was $3.50 each set. I agree that GC probably buys in such bulk that they are still making money at $2 a set

If it's any consolation (and it probably isn't), we here in the States still get killed on the price of high-end continental gear like German RME recording gear, German Schoeps microphones, and Danish DPA microphones, due to the exchange rates. I know this is high end gear that's expensive to buy anyway, but I've had to pay $65 USD for a tiny little DPA wireless plug adapter, a little chunk of metal that probably costs less than $5 to manufacture. Try pricing something like a Swiss Nagra field recorder here the States... it will make your head spin.

I don't know if this stuff is as expensive for UK buyers as it is here, but at least you know we're in a similar situation in a few niche areas.

<Moderator edit. Political content removed>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; May-21-2014 at 10:25pm. Reason: Posting Guidelines

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Quote removed by Moderator
    Keep it cool, Eddie. Let's let this conversation go on awhile before all the politicizational talk starts up.

Mick
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; May-21-2014 at 10:26pm.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

What Eddie said
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE

Just a summary so I wouldn't have to spell out the taxes, customs duties, etc. Nothing is ever cut and dried, you can't have your cake AND eat it etc...

But I guess the OP's title already covered all that...
    Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; May-20-2014 at 12:58pm.

Blog Entries

Many UK importers of US goods do not have access to the US wholesale prices and end up buying at a price which already includes the US taxes and retail mark-ups. Their baseline price tends to start from the US over the counter price plus shipping plus import duties.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I wonder if all you UK residents could stop whining and realize that

a - you are living in the most beautiful archipelago on this planet, and might want to start enjoying it
    b - an archipelago consists of islands where everything has to be shipped to - paradise comes at a price

No reason to envy us landlocked continentals from Central Europe or the US.
    Thomastik and D'Addario are just neccessary souvenirs from hell.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

30. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I know this is no consolation for most of you folks over there, but the UK has an amazing plethora of antique Italian bowlbacks which were imported by the crateload in the early part of the last century.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Any additional costs i.e. duties, shipping, taxes have to be passed along to the consumer eventually.Just think how bad it would be if the dollar was strong.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE