Thread: Moving to Montana

Default Moving to Montana

My wife and I are moving to Butte Montana and would really enjoy jamming with others in the area. I've done a forum search but came up empty. I've heard there are some very good players in the state but jams are hard to get invited to… Any leads would be appreciated.
    RC in Montana

Default Re: Moving to Montana

Whatever you do - plan to drink only bottled water! The water there is quite polluted from the mining industry.

Quote Originally Posted by foggyvalley View Post
    My wife and I are moving to Butte Montana and would really enjoy jamming with others in the area. I've done a forum search but came up empty. I've heard there are some very good players in the state but jams are hard to get invited to… Any leads would be appreciated.
    RC in Montana
    Come a little further west to Missoula, big BG (assuming you are a bluegrasser) scene there. There's a couple members here that are in the Helena area. The Montana fiddle camp is near Helena as well.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

You should consider coming to the Montana Fiddlers Picnic in Livingston, and/or the jam/campout in Columbus the next weekend. You will make a lot of contacts. Dates for the fiddlers' picnic are August 1-3. Check it out at http://fiddlerspicnic.blogspot.com/. I'll be going back there from SD.

What kind of music do you want to play?

Lots of music in Bozeman and Helena as well. Jams are not that hard to get invited to. Let me know if I can help.

Fiddle camp in Monarch, MT has John Reischman this year. http://www.montanafiddlers.org/camp.html

Check out the Yellowstone bluegrass association website. If you are ever down in Billings stop by. We have weekly jams. Also. Give Greg Boyd a call in Missoula. He owns a GREAT music shop there and would likely know of anything happening in Butte.

Contact Barb Piccolo at Piccolos Music in Helena. The store number is 1-406-443-4709. She is a wealth of Knowledge for the music scene in the state.
    I will be attending the fiddle camp the first week in June.

Sorry to hijack your post but I thought you had figured out some Zappa on the mando! Good luck with the move.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtuna For This Useful Post:

thanks to all, I do the above, lol on the Zappa post!

June: Weiser fiddle contest( not MT but worlds best jam in Idaho) also Good Medicine(talk to Barb Piccalo) July: Butte folk feast Yellowstone bluegrass Association summer jam, Hamilton hardtimes Fest. August : livinston,Columbus ( see above). September : miles city bluegrass Fest. You'll meet excellent folks and have a ball. Montana is wonderful in the summertime.

11. The following members say thank you to montana for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    Whatever you do - plan to drink only bottled water! The water there is quite polluted from the mining industry.
    Most of the City of Butte's public water supply comes from the upper Big Hole River, which is on the other side of the continental divide. Pretty much pristine actually. The mining in Butte polluted the upper Clark Fork watershed, which flows on down to Missoula and then to Idaho.

13. The following members say thank you to mandotrout777 for this post: