Thread: guitarra baiana

Default guitarra baiana

For sure guitarra baiana (http://www.guitarra-baiana.com/) is not the center of interest on the forum but I do not thinkit to be off topic!

A five stringed guitarra baiana is available from 300 to 500 $ and more - to much for a poor hobby player like me. In the past I used short scaled electric guitars for children for some experiments. Such electric guitars for children with a single pickup are available at about 50 to 100 $. May be that is not the high quality a professional musician needs, but good enogh for my experimants as a beginner. Strat type children guitars are available as well but more expensive.

Such a children e-guitar has a measure of about 48 cm (that is close to 19 "). A mandola (called tenor mandola in Ireland, and UK) has a scale length of abot 42 cm (16.5 inches). So, such a children guitar is close enough to be used as a kind of mandola with the 6th string off. (I could not find such a bargain children e-guitar with a mandolin scale length.) May be someone might be inspirated for experiments as well.

To my question:
    Because of the symmetric tuning one can use most of the standard mandolin material - should not be any problem for a skilled mandolin player. One can find tutorial books or lessons for such a five sringed guitarra baiana in portugese (may be some in spanish?) I do not understand any of these laguages. Does anybody know sources for tutorial material (or online lessons) for such a five string mandola in english? My main interest is jazz. I found some youtube videos with such a mandola like instrument and it does not seem to be totally uncommon.

Thanks and regards btwo

Default Re: guitarra baiana

I had to look it up on Wiki. Looks interesting, not exactly a mando though but it shares the tuning. Then again, we have 4-string electric mandos, which would be almost identical to the four-string electric guitarra baiana.

The Bahian guitar (Portuguese: guitarra baiana, pau elétrico (meaning electric pole or electric log) is a Brazilian solid-body string musical instrument. It has either 4 or 5 strings, normally tuned GDAE and CGDAE, respectively, and has the scale of a cavaco. Six strings versions are also found.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahian_guitar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0guitarrabaiana3.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	119534

I like this double neck 12 string / guitarra baiana!

Name:	0guitarrabaiana2.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	119533

It's an Electric Mandolin

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I had to look it up on Wiki. Looks interesting, not exactly a mando though but it shares the tuning. Then again, we have 4-string electric mandos, which would be almost identical to the four-string electric guitarra baiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahian_guitar

Name:	0guitarrabaiana3.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	119534

I like this double neck 12 string / guitarra baiana!

Name:	0guitarrabaiana2.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	119533
    The 5 String Guitarra Baiana (actually that's a Double Neck 10/5 Mandolin) is the same thing as the 5 String Mandolin, but keep in mind the scale length is longer so that the C String isn't floppy. A longer scale length allows you to get away w/ thinner strings & a brighter tone for more clarity.

The Bahian Guitar (or Guitarra Baiana) isn't really a Guitar, it's a little Electric Mandolin (Bandolim Eletrico). The sound of these instruments falls in between an Electric Guitar & a Mandolin so it's a very special sound, very melodic.

5. The following members say thank you to s11141827 for this post:

Bahian Guitar is actually the very 1st Electric Mandolin ever made.

7. The following members say thank you to s11141827 for this post:

The 6 string Versions add on a Low F.