Thread: What do I do now with a brand new mandolin?

Default What do I do now with a brand new mandolin?

I brought home from a local music store in (humid) Oklahoma City a new store setup mandolin with a high gloss lacquer finish, ebony fretboard and bridge, and discolored strings. It has had 3 days acclimation in my home in West Texas (much drier). I am about to change the strings and clean the outside with a dampened microfiber cloth to get rid of the grime. What should I do, and in what order? Carnuba wax? a proprietary "clean,polish,& protect" spray, lubricate the nut groves and exposed gears, etc.? I have a routine when I change strings on my old guitars, but I would like some input on a new mandolin if it differs from guitars. I did purchase a new case and humidifier. Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: What do I do now with a brand new mandolin?

You should play it!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    You should play it!
    Thanks...I played it a lot at the store over 6 days. I think they made me a good deal just to get rid of my checking out all the strings on all the frets, etc. I am ready to string it and play as I have done the "new string routine" I do with my guitars. Thank you for your simple reply! I will try to not butcher Johnny Cash's "Long Black Veil". (You knew that was coming!)

1. Bit of Tri-Flow on the tuning machine gears wouldn't hurt.

2. Rubbing a #2 pencil in the nut slots provides a bit of graphite lubrication.

3. Any standard guitar polish will shine up a modern instrument finish.

4. If the strings are grungy, the fretboard may be as well. Microfiber cloth may help, or very fine steel wool.

5. Damping the portion of the strings between bridge and tailpiece may be a good idea; felt inside the tailpiece cover, rubber grommets around the strings, or weaving a strip of leather through the strings below the bridge -- different methods…

6. Check to make sure the end pin fits snugly (source of many disastrous drops, if you're using a strap).

7. Enjoy!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

....don't forget -remove and replace string pairs one set at a time to keep pressure on the floating bridge . don't remove ALL the strings at once or your bridge will slide and it may be difficult to set it again for intonation . another option is to put a piece of low- tac tape alongside the bridge so that you'll be sure to find the exact placement later. I've always found it easiest to just change strings one pair at a time .

8. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

If it needs cleaning just wipe it down with your microfiber cloth. If that is not good enough lightly dampen the cloth with a bit of water.
    Bill Snyder

10. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

and, oh yeah,

beside allen's sage suggestions

make sure your intonation is spot on-this will help you from getting frustrated when you play up high, and, take the time to find the set up info offered here on the site, and read it, as you may need it in the future.

BUT!!!!!
    keep a half of a bath sized sponge, cellulose, damp but not wet in a well perforated, paper hole punch sized holes zip baggie for about a year-or longer, to assist in the slow drying out and equilibrium to the new clime. The idea, or at least mine, it that slowing down the humidity difference will likely help the instrument acclimate. imho , this is about gradual change, not trying to create an artificial environment in the case, just one that allows things to change very very slowly, which may help the wood avoid cracks etc.

you likely cannot create a sealed environ for humidity, but you can make the transition more gentle.

if its really dirty or scuffed, I use novus plastic polish, the red label fine, on lacquer, which works well, and while it takes some elbow grease, works controllably and safely and will shine up anything (but NOT varnish!!!!)

I like bore oil from the orchestral supply store -used for clarinets - for lightly oiling fretboards-if grungy use a touch of 0000 steel wool with the grain to remove grunge and polish fret tops. the important word here is lightly. Even in Colorado I do this at best about yearly.

12. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

You play it, play it some more and don't stop 'til your fingers hurt like heck. You will be surprised how your learning curve will increase the more time you spend with your new buddy. Have fun. If you have to stop because of sore fingers take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Best of luck and welcome to this wild, wacky world.

14. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

I cleaned it and restrung it, leaving it tuned to pitch overnight. Started playing it this morning ("Listen to the Mockingbird") and it was a delight! And so were my other mandolins. Your advice was spot on!

Thanks! I prefer Ibuprofen. It also helps my tendonitis.

Thanks for the post/advice! I do all that on my guitars as my local music store owner told me when I bought my D35, so not much change for a mandolin. Thanks for the reminders! I have decided that most musicians are nice and Mandolin Players, at least on this forum, are Super Nice and helpful.

Thanks! The voice of experience is always appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    6. Check to make sure the end pin fits snugly (source of many disastrous drops, if you're using a strap).
    What is the best way to check? By tugging on it? twisting on it? or giving it a little insurance tap with a wood block or something?

Blog Entries

Most importantly, do what Wake Frankfield says: put a whoopin' on it!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Shoe goo fixes anything
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Tune that thing up and pick the snot out of it!