Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visiting Maine

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Default Re: Visiting Maine

Quote Originally Posted by keithb View Post
    A small thread hijack seems appropriate: I'll be camping in Acadia for a week in late June - I'm less concerned about finding a good mandolin store, but is there a good place nearby to take in some local music?
    Some about but not a lot. In Bar Harbor, The Lompoc or Side Street Cafe will often have something, but the genres are pretty random. Sips in Southwest Harbor often has some more traditional music, but again it can be hot/cold. There is a traditional/old time/Acadian workshop that starts June 30th for a week, and they hold some concerts at College of the Atlantic. Lastly, around that time the Bar Harbor town band (mostly brass) starts doing free evening concerts at the Village Green Park. It used to be Monday and Thursday nights, but I am not sure if that is still the case or if they will have started by then.

Probably best to look and ask around as you explore to see what happens to be going on that week, but don't expect too much.

The place I remember the most about a few trips to Maine was Pemaquid Lighthouse in Bristol. Nearby is what I was told is the only natural sandy beach in Maine, and the Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site. It would be about 2 hours from Kennebunkport but would make for an unforgettable day trip.

I would check out Earnest Instruments in South Portland on the way up if you are into electric mandolins:

Joel Eckhaus, Luthier
    12 Fairlawn Ave.
    S. Portland, ME 04106
    207/838-6281
    joel@earnestinstruments.com
    http://www.earnestinstruments.com

it will take them that long to get to all those places. It's a big state, and once you get past Portland to visit the rest of the coast I95 goes inland and you will have to use Route 1 to travel up the coast.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

I295 to Brunswick and then Rt 1 to Rockland. That stretch takes about 1:15 and will not be bad in early June. It also a nice drive with Bath and Wiscasset along the way. A good shorter day trip might be to go just as far as Boothbay. The Maine Botanical Gardens there would be well worth the trip. https://www.mainegardens.org/

Hey thanks everybody, lots of good tips here. Gonna be there June 7-14 and will post an update when I return. Can't wait for my first lobster roll!!