Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Maine

Default Visiting Maine

Howdy pickers,

I'm taking a family vacation in early June to Kennebunkport Maine. I was wondering if any Cafe members could recommend any music shops, jams, sessions, or any points of interest for a lifelong Florida boy on his first journey to the upper New England coast.

Thanks, CW

Default Re: Visiting Maine

Check out Girouard mandolins in NH!

3. The following members say thank you to Dave LaBoone for this post:

If you don't mind a couple hour drive, you could check out Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT or a side trip to Boston, come to think of it. Kennebunkport is pretty close to the border, so wandering down to other New England states isn't quite the production it would be if you were in, say, Bangor.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

5. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Thanks, I am planning on heading down to Boston to see a Red Sox game and those other options might be worth a look.

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave LaBoone View Post
    Check out Girouard mandolins in NH!
    I second this!!!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Perhaps check out the web sites of two excellent mandolinists from Maine's (Joe Walsh and David Surrette) for ideas? I saw David and his wife play during my one trip to Maine, and they were terrific. bb

http://skinnyelephantmusic.com/

http://www.burkesurette.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    If you don't mind a couple hour drive, you could check out Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT or a side trip to Boston, come to think of it. Kennebunkport is pretty close to the border, so wandering down to other New England states isn't quite the production it would be if you were in, say, Bangor.
    Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT is right off of route 95 in Connecticut and, as such, is right on the way if he is driving up to Maine. This is only an extra 7.24513 minutes of driving if he's taking route 95 and it's a great shop!

The Music Emporium (a Cafe' sponsor) in Lexington MA is well worth a visit and not far from either Boston or I-95. They'll have some great mandolins for you to play.

Also, not mandolin related, but Newburyport MA is also right off route 95 in northern Massachusetts. It is a rather well preserved New England Port of centuries past. The fam could do a drive through to experience architecture etc typical of the area. A little like stepping back in time. It's even older than a signed Loar.

Portland Maine has an old town area that is similar and it's less than an hour north of Kennebunkport.

York Beach, right next to, Kennebunkport, has a carnival/amusement park/trailer park district that is right out of 1950 blue-collar americana.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I live in York. That's about thirty minutes from Kennebunk, with no traffic. Just so you know holiday traffic in York County is like driving in Manhattan. I travel to Guilford as I do quite a bit of business at Acoustic Music. org. It's between a three and four hour ride with no summer traffic. It once took me 7 hours to get home, so it's not close by. The backup on 290 to get onto 495 during the summer is at least two miles long.

Locally, you might check Portland for a few shops. Not a lot of music stores. The Girouards are a little over an hour from York.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by womandolynn View Post
    Also, not mandolin related, but Newburyport MA is also right off route 95 in northern Massachusetts. It is a rather well preserved New England Port of centuries past. The fam could do a drive through to experience architecture etc typical of the area. A little like stepping back in time. It's even older than a signed Loar.

Portland Maine has an old town area that is similar and it's less than an hour north of Kennebunkport.

York Beach, right next to, Kennebunkport, has a carnival/amusement park/trailer park district that is right out of 1950 blue-collar americana.
    Kennebunk is a ways up from York, especially in summer traffic. At least 20 minutes, no traffic, traveling on i95. Be about an hour and a half on route 1.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    ...Just so you know holiday traffic in York County is like driving in Manhattan. I travel to Guilford as I do quite a bit of business at Acoustic Music. org. It's between a three and four hour ride with no summer traffic. It once took me 7 hours to get home, so it's not close by. The backup on 290 to get onto 495 during the summer is at least two miles long.
    So maybe that's where the saying "you can't get there from here" came from.

Joe Walsh & Friends jam at Otto's Pizza in Portland (Congress St) on Monday nights when he's in town, 8:30 - 10:00 PM.
    Playing:
    Morgan Monroe MM100-SB
    Eastman 605

In Portland you'll want to visit Buckdancer's Choice...its the only "real" music shop in southern Maine (not counting Guitar Center). The mandolin selection can be hit or miss at Buckdancers...sometimes amazing things, other times just entry level instruments. Lots of great guitars and interesting people. Avoid Guitar Center...nothing ever of Mandolin interest except Ibanez and Fender instruments (sometimes a lower Loar or new Gretsch).

Depending how early in June, on Tuesday nights there will still be a Bluegrass Jam going at 315 Main Street in Yarmouth (45 minutes or so from Kport). The jam lasts 1.5 hours and has beginner/intermediate players. Lots of fiddle tunes get called, lots of banjo players, but everyone is friendly and respectful. Always a good time and very welcoming of newcomers. Check this website for details: http://317main.org/ You may want to give 'em a call during the day to confirm. The Tuesday Jams take a break sometime mid June coinciding with the local schools getting out for summer.

Have fun and thanks for coming to visit our state. We are called Vacationland...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

18. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    So maybe that's where the saying "you can't get there from here" came from.
    You can get there, but do really want to spend a lot of your vacation in traffic?

Here's the Buckdancer's website:

http://www.buckdancers.com/

The store is better than the site....

Oh yeah...if you want to get anywhere while visiting Maine, use the Turnpike and avoid Route One at all costs. As Mary points out, in the summer it is one massive slow travel zone north and south.

The heck with the mandos. You can see them in more accessible places. Go to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom C For This Useful Post:

Definitely. The music scene is prolific, the music store situation is abysmal, but the scenery is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    The heck with the mandos. You can see them in more accessible places. Go to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.

If you're into citterns/bouzoukis, Nick Apollonio in Rockport builds some beauties.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Pay a visit to Phoenix Mandolins. Call Rolfe Gerhardt to let him know you're coming. You'll see some of the best mandolins made. It's right along the coast.

159 St. George Road, South Thomaston, Maine 04858-3023, USA
    Telephone: 207-354-0397
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Yep, Rolfe is in a good spot and proximal to Rockland, Rockport & Camden.

If you are going to be around long enough to make the trip and are not planning to be back, I would suggest fitting in a detour further east. Not that southern Maine doesn't have its own compelling details, but the coast gets quite a bit more interesting east of Rockland. A trip as far as Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park, where I live, might be too far for you, but the mid coast places mentioned above would be an easy day trip.

A small thread hijack seems appropriate: I'll be camping in Acadia for a week in late June - I'm less concerned about finding a good mandolin store, but is there a good place nearby to take in some local music?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    If you're into citterns/bouzoukis, Nick Apollonio in Rockport builds some beauties.
    Yes, Nick's instruments are lovely, both in sound and in look. And he's helluva nice guy too, provided you don't object to outrageous puns.

32. The following members say thank you to ptritz for this post:

Lots of excellent ideas. I'll underline the Newburyport side trip. (I used to live there.) Great family stop especially if you go out to Plum Island for the National Wildlife Refuge. (Go all the way down to the last parking lot on the refuge. Great beach there for walking and the safest beach on the island if the kids are small.)

The side trips to the Girouards and Rolfe Gerhardt are almost musts for when MAS strikes again and you wonder about builds and builders.

Dave Surette and his wife Susie Burke are must stops if they're performing anywhere near where you're traveling. Superb musicians and just wonderful people.

Along with the rest of the great suggestions you ought to be planning a month long trip! Enjoy!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary