Thread: Bouzouki leg support

Default Bouzouki leg support

hi all, i was at an Andy Irvine gig lastnite and he had a plastic leg support attatched to the underside of the zouks and mandola. it seemed to fold flat when not in use. any idea what it is and where can i get one for my zouk? getting a bit tired holding the zouk up at the same time as playing and the strap bugs the hell outta me! ps the gig (acoustic) was f*****g amazing!

Default Re: Bouzouki leg support

There is a very nice looking product called a NeckUp Guitar Support. They have a web site, www.neckup.com. (Just a friendly plug, I have no involvement with them.) There are multiple versions of it in the classical guitar world, basically serving the same function. The NeckUp may be good for a bouzouki as it offers two sizes, a regular and a mini which has a narrower width, and they even show a picture of an octave mandolin with one attached on the website. Let us know if you get one and how it works out. I would be interested, however my octave mandolin is guitar shaped and works well with a foot rest.

Svea

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    hi all, i was at an Andy Irvine gig last nite
    Okay, NOW I'm jealous.

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I know a classical guitarist who uses one. Tbh I still prefer a good grippy strap.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    I know a classical guitarist who uses one. Tbh I still prefer a good grippy strap.
    Likewise - I absolutely had to add strap pins and a good leather strap with a sueded inner surface to grip my clothes, because the body of the TC is so small and the neck so long. Looking forward to getting a bouzouki with a heavier body at some point - one that counterbalances the neck nicely, though I'll still use a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Okay, NOW I'm jealous.
    rightly so. it was in an art gallery, 50 people, no mics, i was literaly beside him as he played. a pleasure watching him play, even at 72 he is a master on that zouk

i do use a strap, but sometimes i dont like it, maybe i should try the sueded inner surface

rightly so. it was in an art gallery, 50 people, no mics, i was literaly beside him as he played. a pleasure watching him play, even at 72 he is a master on that zouk
    Which concert, Garry? I was at his Downpatrick gig in the first week in May. Excellent! (second row with no-one in front of me, ten feet from the stage.)

I have photos of his instruments plus the plastic support if I can manage to get one posted… will try! It’s a curved plastic arm clipped onto the outer edge of the instrument and it prevents it from rotating around as he plays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0022.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	119912
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

i do use a strap, but sometimes i dont like it, maybe i should try the sueded inner surface
    Until recently I was using a God-awful woven nylon (I think) one - a budget cheapie, very slippery and it did nothing to keep the neck from diving. I don't like tying the far end of a strap up near the headstock, so I went out and treated myself to a very nice leather strap by Levy's, a Canadian company. Made a huge difference. I'm intrigued by the instrument leg supports, but I like to stand while playing since I sing too - helps my breath control, though Mr. Irvine doesn't seem to have any trouble in that department!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Yes, we did read that earlier... ;-)

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Until recently I was using a God-awful woven nylon (I think) one - a budget cheapie, very slippery and it did nothing to keep the neck from diving. I don't like tying the far end of a strap up near the headstock, so I went out and treated myself to a very nice leather strap by Levy's, a Canadian company. Made a huge difference. I'm intrigued by the instrument leg supports, but I like to stand while playing since I sing too - helps my breath control, though Mr. Irvine doesn't seem to have any trouble in that department!
    Hey Mike, just got an email saying the seller will ship me the Buchannan today and i can pay the balance over the next few weeks!!!! Things like this make me believe there are still good people in the world. i will post a vid soon as i can

15. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

it was in Tramore, Waterford. litteraly 50 people sitting in a beautiful old coastguard building now an art gallery/coffee shop. great setting. if i was any closer people would have been expecting a duet with me and andy haha!
    footerin' about fao

Hey Mike, just got an email saying the seller will ship me the Buchannan today and i can pay the balance over the next few weeks!!!! Things like this make me believe there are still good people in the world. i will post a vid soon as i can
    That is brilliant, some things are just meant to be, and this bouzouki looks to be meant for you!

And the gig in Tramore seems to fit into this picture - it's an omen!

Eh up Garry don't forget it was also my suggestion lol

that's great news... get the vid up asap!

My band's website

it was in Tramore, Waterford. litteraly 50 people sitting in a beautiful old coastguard building now an art gallery/coffee shop. great setting. if i was any closer people would have been expecting a duet with me and andy haha!
    footerin' about fao
    He really is superb; a lot more informal these days. I had the privilege to support him on stage a number of times in the early 1980s and was totally in awe of him then, but the last time I saw him in person was 1990 in Antrim. 24 years…. if you’ve ever heard his story of Woodie Guthrie writing to him personally - I felt like that when I posted a comment on his website guestbook a couple of years ago and he remembered me…

Enjoy the buchanan… I know you will!
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    He really is superb; a lot more informal these days. I had the privilege to support him on stage a number of times in the early 1980s and was totally in awe of him then, but the last time I saw him in person was 1990 in Antrim. 24 years…. if you’ve ever heard his story of Woodie Guthrie writing to him personally - I felt like that when I posted a comment on his website guestbook a couple of years ago and he remembered me…

Enjoy the buchanan… I know you will!
    i will and thanks for the advice. ive heard the woody story a few times, andy emailed me before lastbyear about his song book when i left a post on the website. i was like a little kid. when did you support him? i feel a new thread coming on........

Thumbs up Re: Bouzouki leg support

Quote Originally Posted by Svea View Post
    There is a very nice looking product called a NeckUp Guitar Support. They have a web site, www.neckup.com. (Just a friendly plug, I have no involvement with them.) There are multiple versions of it in the classical guitar world, basically serving the same function. The NeckUp may be good for a bouzouki as it offers two sizes, a regular and a mini which has a narrower width, and they even show a picture of an octave mandolin with one attached on the website. Let us know if you get one and how it works out. I would be interested, however my octave mandolin is guitar shaped and works well with a foot rest.

Svea
    Thanks for the NeckUp recommendation. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. Note: I have the Ergoplay and Gitano knee rests - and the just don't work for the mandolin. Mine is on order, and I'll let the group know how it works....or doesn't. But, I am very optimistic that it should work, based on the design.