Thread: Gibson *enter mandolinist here* model--opinions?

Default Gibson *enter mandolinist here* model--opinions?

Hi forum,

I'm currently on the hunt for my newest ax and hope that it will conclude by summer's end. I'm looking around the $4000-$6000 range. On my list are many instruments (A's F's and two-points, new and used) from small-shop or single makers, like Kimble, Sorensen, and Collings. The Gibson "Sam Bush" model is on my radar and it definitely comes up the most out of all the Gibson artist models. It's the only modern Gibson I've played (besides a Gold Rush and a Ricky Skaggs DMM--which definitely /is not/ in my price range).

The Alan Bibey and Adam Steffey models are ones that I've seen, mostly on the classifieds. I know there are more out there--who's played or owns one, and does anyone have any impressions as to their tonal differences?

Thanks!
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Default Re: Gibson *enter mandolinist here* model--opinions?

Please feel free to correct me if I have some of the details wrong but the Bibey, Benson, and Steffey are essentially a Gibson Fern with different aesthetic appointments and coloring and they only made 50 of each. The Bush has the 1 3/16" radiused neck. The Lawson has the bound ff holes. Both were (are?) regular production models. They're all lacquer with sitka spruce tops. Tone wise they are all pretty similar but you will find variation among them just like you do with the Ferns. I have friends that own a couple of killer Ferns. Another friend has a Bibey that'll knock your socks off. I've never played a Bush that I fell in love with. Toss the Goldrush into the mix if you like blonde mandos. They also have smaller ff holes and like the Lawson might give you a bit more bass response.

3. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

NFI, but Carter Vintage has an Ellis A that I'd give serious consideration to if I was looking for a new mando in your price range.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Here's a Gibson Sam Bush model that IMHO sounds as good or better than any 'Loar' i've ever heard - Jesse Brock doing the honours on New Camptown Races :-
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Good analysis, Shaun. One other aspect of the Doyle is its squared off fingerboard (no florida). And I did not realize the Doyle was a prd item, like the Bush.

To the OP: consider an F-5G as well. Less bread than your original idea, and the ones I've seen and played have consistently been awesome.

Great playing by Jesse on NCR, he recorded it on his solo outing. Hard to believe that tune is 61 years old now. Freaky.

In that range a Collings MT2V or an Ellis A model would be a great choice. If you are stuck on a
    F model then the F5G's that are being made by Gibson right now are just killer mandolins and
    basically a Fern without a few bells and whistles.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

You could also consider a custom, handmade F5 from Michigan luthier Paul Newson. I believe his F5's (varnish) are in that range. Paul is a great builder and flies under the radar a bit.

Take a look at this one:

http://store.dustystrings.com/p-2469...ByCategoryID=7

Quote Originally Posted by dchernack View Post
    Hi forum,

I'm currently on the hunt for my newest ax and hope that it will conclude by summer's end. I'm looking around the $4000-$6000 range.

I agree with Ellis and would also throw in the ring a Stiver.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"