Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $40 mandolin

Default $40 mandolin

I have to go to the Italian market tomorrow anyway and saw this residing nearby: "vintage mandolin. Heavily loved. Needs luthier to fix it, (tuning pegs slowly detune) also a pice of the inlay has come off. other than that it has an awesome eerie kind of sound, and a lot of personality. missing one low string."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	 mandolin.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	120041

I hardly ever check craigslist but I will see if this is still around. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

Sean
    Last edited by sgrexa; Jun-05-2014 at 1:22pm.

Default Re: $40 mandolin

Worth it for sure IMO!

Needs a luthier to fix it? Nah either change the gear(s) of the tuners in question or put new ones on.

I like that description "an eerie sound" I would do it myself even if it did need work, I would probably practice setup and repair on it

Hard to go wrong for $40
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Yeah, the eerie sound got me somewhat intrigued. Eerie could mean "really bad" though!

Sean

Blog Entries

I don't know why but the toes in the CL ads get me everytime. Looks like a nice mandolin just to have around for when you're in the mood to tinker

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

On the other hand, you can get a brand new Rogue from Musician's Friend for 50, 60 bucks. May have a different kind of eerie sound, though ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Do you think the "eerie" sound is superior? (Great Lakes pun.)

Looks like a central-eastern European instrument, or might be one of those Vietnamese cheapos that show up on eBay regularly -- they're noted for shedding inlay.

Tightening up the adjustment screws on the tuning pegs might cure the "detuning" problem.

For $40, if it's not worth playing, you could fill it with potting soil up to the soundhole, plant a philodendron inside, and hang it on the wall.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Any mandolin I play seems to produce an eerie sound . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Do you think the "eerie" sound is superior? (Great Lakes pun.)
    I think Huron a roll, Allen!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth, I've "restored" literally hundreds of sets of vintage tuners with (drum roll please...) WD-40. Don't take 'em off, but don't soak 'em either. I do one gear at a time, squirting the red nozzle into a paper towel, THEN only putting the remaining drop between the gear and the grooved tuner shaft, gently turning the knob back and forth, wiping the dirt that comes off with the paper towel, then adding another single drop. A slow process, but in 20 minutes they should be working smoothly again, unless as stated above, a gear or something is missing. If they are "frozen" into place, have no fear, the WD-40 still will work, you just need to remove them and put them into a container and soak the gear and shaft and let it sit--sometimes it takes days of soaking, gently turning, and repeating the process. Worth it, IMHO, if you can save and use the 100 year old tuners. Give it a try. (Luthiers won't tell ya this tip--but I will!) Actually, it's like Clint Eastwood said in Gran Torino, most things can be fixed with duct tape, WD-40, and a pair of pliers! Of course, go easy......with a mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I don't know why but the toes in the CL ads get me everytime.
    Let's be thankful, it was only some toes....

I saw that same ad about an hour ago. Looked inviting to me as well. The issues with it wouldn't be a problem to me.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I saw that same ad about an hour ago. Looked inviting to me as well. The issues with it wouldn't be a problem to me.
    Oh-oh. A bidding war in the making. Better take $45 with you, just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I don't know why but the toes in the CL ads get me everytime.
    Upon closer examination of the photo, I see the toes to the bottom left, but not sure what that other thing is? Any thoughts?

So did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ...Luthiers won't tell ya this tip--but I will!...
    http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

We've been referring people to Paul's site for many years here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post

And Paul would tell you to stay away from a mandolin with WD-40.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post

It's much better to use triflow like Paul says. Wd40 is a very light lubricant and really isn't the best thing to use on gears let alone on any kind of musical instrument. I would never let wd40 come with a mile of my mandolin

But if they're detuning by themselves, I don't think lubrication is going to help is it?

Tightening the screws or new gears would be a better solution. But I myself wouldn't even bother with all that. Buy some golden age stewmac tuners and your all set

I've used WD-40 on gears; that's exactly what it's for, metal (also because it was all I had at hand.) Use a little bit and don't get any on the wood. Best to do it with the tuners removed. Wipe off thoroughly before putting them back on. I'll use Brasso first if necessary to clear up any tarnish or rust, scrubbing with an old toothbrush (not the same one you use to brush your teeth.) Then again, I've only worked with low-end (sub-$200) instruments where it's not a big risk either way. If you've got a rare or costly instrument and want to play it safe, it would pay to invest in the recommended materials and lubricants as suggested on Paul Hostetter's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Upon closer examination of the photo, I see the toes to the bottom left, but not sure what that other thing is? Any thoughts?
    Maybe the guy was very excited about his new mando.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    On the other hand, you can get a brand new Rogue from Musician's Friend for 50, 60 bucks. May have a different kind of eerie sound, though ...
    Yeah, but new junk doesn't quite have the same cachet as vintage junk. At least with an old instrument, it has an excuse.

Worst case, don't just hang it on a wall, slap a pickup on it and electrify that sucker. Electrification covers a multitude of acoustic sins.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Worst case, don't just hang it on a wall, slap a pickup on it and electrify that sucker. Electrification covers a multitude of acoustic sins.
    Or exposes them, and puts them right up front. When you amplify "eerie," the results could be, well, "sceerie."

Seriously, keeping the pairs in tune is a real problem with electrics. I had to go with a single-string set-up on my EM-150 because if the pairs weren't spot-on in tune it was really annoying. If this baby is crying unplugged, plugged in it would really wail. Not in the good sense.

Maybe the guy was very excited about his new mando.
    Oh, that's just his big toe. Honest!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I'll use Brasso first if necessary to clear up any tarnish or rust, scrubbing with an old toothbrush (not the same one you use to brush your teeth.)
    So glad you clarified that! Whew!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr017-07-decaying-teeth.gif 
Views:	164 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	120231

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I've used WD-40 on gears; that's exactly what it's for, metal (also because it was all I had at hand.) Use a little bit and don't get any on the wood. Best to do it with the tuners removed. Wipe off thoroughly before putting them back on. I'll use Brasso first if necessary to clear up any tarnish or rust, scrubbing with an old toothbrush (not the same one you use to brush your teeth.) Then again, I've only worked with low-end (sub-$200) instruments where it's not a big risk either way. If you've got a rare or costly instrument and want to play it safe, it would pay to invest in the recommended materials and lubricants as suggested on Paul Hostetter's site.

http://bit.ly/1hHNqlo

You'll notice every result say that wd40 is not meant for gears

Tuners aren't exactly in the same category as a rotating gear and chain arrangement. The gear are used to advance or retract the string. There isn't much rotating going on,since the the string is held in place by friction. People have been using WD-40 forever and it was formulated for NASA. Mandolin tuners are pretty simple little devices and require simple lubrication. What do you think Orville Gibson used ? I would guess a light machine oil, or whatever was available in the day.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"