Thread: Music Stores In Paris?

Default Music Stores In Paris?

My son is going to Paris to live for a few months. Any good stores over there?

Default Re: Music Stores In Paris?

The favorite for acoustic instruments is François Charle, in the 1st arrondissement (central Paris, near the Louvre).

Other than that, there's a whole neighborhood of guitar shops in the Pigalle area, at the foot of Montmartre, and a street of violin shops on the Rue de Rome near the Gare St.-Lazare. But Charle's pretty much it for mandolins.

3. The following members say thank you to Wolfboy for this post:

He might also consider a cheap flight from Paris to London (Gatwick) where it's a short train journey to TAMCO in Brighton. TAMCO has far more choice and Trevor's mandolins are generally cheaper. (No financial interest except spending a small fortune there in the last 10 years!)

Good advice from Wolfboy--whoa, that's Robin Bullock!

Another place is Paul Beuscher on Boulevard Beaumarchais in the 4th. They don't have much that's special in terms of instruments, especially compared to Francois Charles. But, it feels like an American music store with a pretty wide selection of stuff, and in time your son may want to go to a place like that. They have a good selection of books and sheet music, too.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    He might also consider a cheap flight from Paris to London (Gatwick) where it's a short train journey to TAMCO in Brighton. TAMCO has far more choice and Trevor's mandolins are generally cheaper. (No financial interest except spending a small fortune there in the last 10 years!)
    Indeed - definitely well worth taking a trip to TAMCO if he's in Paris for several months. No need to fly, though; the Eurostar train from Paris (Gare du Nord) to London (St. Pancras) is much more pleasant, probably cheaper, and door-to-door actually faster than flying.

I will be up there relavitely soon for vacation. Any suggestions on good places to see music (street music or performances)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    I will be up there relavitely soon for vacation. Any suggestions on good places to see music (street music or performances)?

Thanks
    If you are interested in the ukulele, you might seek out the monthly Rendev'uke:
    http://isauki.wordpress.com/category/rencontres/

You will meet an amazing cross-section of people, and it is not a typical Paris tourist experience.

-Josh

Banjoboy,

Your son will really enjoy the Luthier -Rosyne et Francois CHARLIE. at 17 Galerie Vero Dodat. Lots of vintage Gibson and Martins. Mandolins, guitars, etc in a beautiful gallery. Not your typical Guitar Center!

http://www.rfcharle.com

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post

Thanks
    It's a bit cold for street performance this time of year (though I suppose stranger things have happened...)

There's a weekly entertainment guide called Pariscope, available at any newsstand, kiosk, etc. - I'd pick up a copy of that and see what's going on near where you are. It's all in French, of course, but it's not too hard to figure out even if you don't speak the language. Here's a pretty good description of it for English-speaking visitors.

Alternatively, especially if you're in the Marais or the Latin Quarter, just wander around and look for concert posters on the walls.

All, this has been helpful. Obviously, I am late to the game. I'll be in Paris later this year and am looking for an entry-level classical mando...thoughts?
    suburban chicago
    band: one of the girls
    mandolin: Mid MO M-1
    tenor banjo: Orpheum 1
    bouzouki: Road to the Isles

Your best bet for a good deal is to buy directly from someone. I've bought and sold through zikinf.com several times and never had problems....... there are several for sale on that site right now. Another option is leboncoin.fr I have used leboncoin as well, but you have to be more careful. It's more like Craig's list.
    Joseph

Buskers have played in the summers, on the streets of Paris, for.. I guess, several hundreds of years..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Wow, when you go to the Francois Charlie page and take the panoramic tour of the inside of the atelier he's got three cool looking vintage Gibsons sitting right there on one of the counters -- a whiteface, a blacktop and another one. And I think he's got a few more hanging off the ceiling. The shop looks small and the selection isn't huge, but what a selection it is.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yes, it looks like a cool place, and I would definitely check it out if I ever get to Paris. But I doubt I would buy any of their instruments. Ils sont tres beaux mais trop chères!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!