Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did you start playing a cbom?

Default Re: Why did you start playing a cbom?

Needed a specialty instrument for a Middle Eastern sound; built a full scale Irish bouzouki; now have to learn to play it.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tommando View Post
    Needed a specialty instrument for a Middle Eastern sound; built a full scale Irish bouzouki; now have to learn to play it.
    Surely such a pure-bred instrument as the Irish bouzouki could never sound like a middle-Eastern instrument??
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    Surely such a pure-bred instrument as the Irish bouzouki could never sound like a middle-Eastern instrument??
    Well, it was a compromise because I couldn't figure out a good way to hold a bowl back while standing. In an open tuning, it captures the sound pretty well. Now I have to learn the Irish sound.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Well, it was a compromise because I couldn't figure out a good way to hold a bowl back while standing. In an open tuning, it captures the sound pretty well. Now I have to learn the Irish sound.
    Lol yes, well I know that feeling! I had to sit to play my first bouzouki, it was a nightmare to hold straight… and these days my lute slides about all over the place especially when doing Mark Knopfler on it. A friend uses velcro stuck to the back of her bowl-back… and it appears to work. Pulls lots of fluff out of her clothes tho…

(For a good laugh the pic is from around 1982…. don’t even MENTION the wooly pullover.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spuds1019.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	120899
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I have played my Crump bouzouki in all sorts of music. You can play Balkan and middle eastern music and it will sound authentic. Superb instrument - best bouzouki I have ever owned!
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    Lol yes, well I know that feeling! I had to sit to play my first bouzouki, it was a nightmare to hold straight… and these days my lute slides about all over the place especially when doing Mark Knopfler on it. A friend uses velcro stuck to the back of her bowl-back… and it appears to work. Pulls lots of fluff out of her clothes tho…

(For a good laugh the pic is from around 1982…. don’t even MENTION the wooly pullover.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spuds1019.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	120899
    What, that's a great picture! Nothing to be embarrassed about there.

I'll have to review all my Planxty videos and see what Donal and Andy were doing with their bowl-back bouzoukis. I know Andy played sitting a lot, but not always.

I was a double bassist with 2 music degrees who knew next to nothing about mandolin, but finally bought one. Then, almost 10 years ago, the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra was trying to get up and running and I heard there was such a thing as a mandocello. I played the first couple years on a borrowed one, then got my own. I was HOOKED as soon as I heard that plectrum sound!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I grew up playing the Viola, and always enjoyed the deeper richer sound it had compared to the violin. I needed a change in instrument, but I really didn't want to do the guitar, since everyone and their mother plays the guitar. I've been playing OM for about 4 years, and LOVE it. I'm about to get a custom built instrument, which is going to make it just that much more fun.

I heard some mandola players and really liked the sound. I have not found a group setting yet for my mandola playing, but enjoy playing it just the same. Larger sound box and more mellow sound is very nice.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

I had an old Greek zouk that I had a square of sandpaper taped to the back... the wooley jumper held the zouk in place - predated Velcro...

11. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

I started to play a CBOM when I built a zouk and have since built a cittern. Mine are no great pieces of art, but they work. The cittern sounds especially good.

bass player gone mando

to the original question - I'm a bass player (upright and electric) who came way later in life to mando. But obviously the lower end of the mando family was of great interest to me. I've got a mandola and I'm shopping for a zouk, which the guitarist in my main band (who is Irish-American) would also like to try his hand at.

but thanks to all for introducing me to Planxty on this thread - wow, not sure how I missed them back in the day. Their youtube of The Blacksmith on the Late Late Show (whatever that is) is phenomenal!
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
    to the original question - I'm a bass player (upright and electric) who came way later in life to mando. But obviously the lower end of the mando family was of great interest to me. I've got a mandola and I'm shopping for a zouk, which the guitarist in my main band (who is Irish-American) would also like to try his hand at.

but thanks to all for introducing me to Planxty on this thread - wow, not sure how I missed them back in the day. Their youtube of The Blacksmith on the Late Late Show (whatever that is) is phenomenal!
    referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3A5Tgy47M
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
    That video is so inspiring to me. I got into cbom's because *everyone* played guitar, and I just didn't like to be like everyone else. I've been away for awhile, but back in it with a fever. I'm even going to sell my ukulele and mountain dulcimer, just so I have $$$ to throw at another cbom!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Blog Entries

After my very first mandolin self destructed in the back of a closed car one hot summer day, I called up Elderly Instruments (no internet in those days) and ordered my first serious (not beginner) instrument, a Flatiron 3MW mandola, you know the pancake style with a sort of herringbone binding. It was made in 1984, and I bought it new.

I played the potatoes out of that thing, tuned CGDA, sometimes capo 2. It was my main axe for a long while, because that, and an old Martin bowlback in rough shape, were my only mandolins.

I only recently sold it, to the mandola player in a little quartet I play in, and that is the best way to sell something you have loved, sell it to someone you will be playing music with for a long time, so you still see the thing being played and enjoyed, and you get to love on it a little now and then.

Now I have gone the other way, and I play a sopranino, which is a fourth above the mandolin. Which puts it CGDA, where I am comfortable, but an octave above the mandola, two octaves above the mandocello. All the trigonometry I used to do to play fiddle tunes on mandola serves me well.

Though capo 2 is not an option anymore.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    After my very first mandolin self destructed in the back of a closed car one hot summer day, I called up Elderly Instruments (no internet in those days) and ordered my first serious (not beginner) instrument, a Flatiron 3MW mandola, you know the pancake style with a sort of herringbone binding. It was made in 1984, and I bought it new.

I played the potatoes out of that thing, tuned CGDA, sometimes capo 2. It was my main axe for a long while, because that, and an old Martin bowlback in rough shape, were my only mandolins.

I only recently sold it, to the mandola player in a little quartet I play in, and that is the best way to sell something you have loved, sell it to someone you will be playing music with for a long time, so you still see the thing being played and enjoyed, and you get to love on it a little now and then.

Now I have gone the other way, and I play a sopranino, which is a fourth above the mandolin. Which puts it CGDA, where I am comfortable, but an octave above the mandola, two octaves above the mandocello. All the trigonometry I used to do to play fiddle tunes on mandola serves me well.

Though capo 2 is not an option anymore.
    {redacted due to my inability to click the link}
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Well, there I was, marooned on the Island of Misfit toys when...

Because of Alec Finn, and Andy Irvine too.

These guys had a lot of influence, Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny.