Thread: My mandolins

Default My mandolins

Hi guys,

I have been playing mandolin for 30 years and over the years I had a few and sold a few mandolins.

I play acoustically and electrically part time in a couple of bands, it all depends on what they need for the specific gig. I play pedal steel and guitar as well.

Here are pictures of what I have and the latest acquisition.

The first two are spruce carved tops, one with a reverse scroll, the other a Monteleone copy. The rest of the wood is all South African, etc.

The Red Devil has Hippo tusk points, heelcap and a MOP cave man peg board inlay, with a rail humbucker. It screams.

The fourth one is a cheapish electric with Stewmac pots and caps, very nice.

The fifth one is a carved top Ibanez model 518, with violin colour and purfling like a violin.

The last picture is of my electric F, ivory truss rod cover, with cross bracing, very nicely setup. A real winner and eye catcher.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hofner, okkerneut, kay 006.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	120361

Name:	harleymando 001.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	120362

Let the games begin!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan Viljoen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Viljoen View Post
    The first two are spruce carved tops, one with a reverse scroll, the other a Monteleone copy. The rest of the wood is all South African, etc.
    Those first two are very interesting. Are they (and the others) all made in SA? Who are the makers? Can you post some larger pics of those two acoustics? What SA woods are used in these and how are they different from woods elsewhere?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim, I tried my best , but the photos are not good.

The reverse scroll was built by Mervyn Davis, local luthier --- http://mervyndavisguitars.com/
    Top- Spruce, Body and neck- Faurea saligna, binding- Podocarpus latifolius, nut--Phacochoerus africanus (warthog tusk), Headstock inlay-- mop, with the legs/feet real gold strips.

Montyleone copy: Built by Johan Matthysen, local luthier.
    Spruce top, body, binding and neck same as above, Fret board and headstock overlay--Spirostachys africana, Scratch plate -- African Blackwood -- Dalbergia melanoxylon , Inlay-- Hippo tusk (Hippopotamus amphibius).

Name:	davismando1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	120374, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	davismando2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	120375

Name:	harleymando 005.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	120376, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harleymando 006.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	120377

South African hardwoods are all suitable for musical instruments. Spruce however had to be imported.
    http://www.timbermerchant.co.za/

Last edited by Jan Viljoen; Jun-11-2014 at 11:36am.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jan Viljoen For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Jan,
    Thanks for these pictures. Interesting and lovely instruments. I'd like to hear them.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

8. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Thanks, Jan. Really interesting. I have heard about woods from Austrailia but never ones from southern Africa. For some reason, I may have heard of Mervyn Davis. His web site looks familiar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Interesting, but aren't hippo tusks illegal? I thought they were an endangered species.

Sean

Thanks for the pictures. Question: do you have more mandolins than children?

Guys, shooting hippo became illegal since 2006, but not warthogs.
    I still have the off cuts for DNA age and isotope testing if required.

Ivory is illegal in South Africa and elsewhere, but I see lots of Mammoth tusks being advertised on the web.
    What is the difference?

I have more mando's than children.
    I am busy building an electric watermelon mando to use at a Mardi grass and fun fares.

Well, the difference about mammoth tusk is that since it's fossilized, the authorities can be reasonably sure that the mammoth wasn't taken illegally. I have a nice bridge saddle of fossilized walrus ivory on one of my mandolins. When an 8.5-foot mammoth tusk was unearthed recently in downtown Seattle, my first thought was to wonder how much instrument hardware could be made from it: http://seattlemammoth.org/

We don't get many folks from SA at the Cafe, so we're not well informed on the mandolin scene there. I can think of one other active member, Pasha, who's South African.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hi Guys, Not all mammoth tusks are fossilized. A lot are for sale.

http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.co...Mammoth_Tusks/

Jan, I think what they are trying to say is that since mammoths have been extinct for 10,000 years. The authorities would know that only a few of the guys on the cafe are actually old enough to have hunted them
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

19. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

Actually I was thinking of rhino horns, which are much more threatened. Personally, I tend to stick to inlay materials obtained from animals without legs (shells) which seems to be less controversial / hassle. I guess when I think of it, my nuts are bone on a couple mandos and I have no idea about the animals of origin? At least you know exactly what you got there, thanks for sharing!

Sean

21. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Interesting to see and hear about mandolins from another part of the world. A fine-looking collection.

Another member from South Africa is brendon b from Cape Town, who has never posted much but in 2011 was putting together a soundtrack for an exhibit about the Jewish community in Woodstock, dating back to the first half of the 20th century..
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

23. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Yes sgrexa, Rhinos are highly endangered all over the world. We are fighting almost a losing battle against poachers.

By the way, rhino horn consists of ceratin, which is the stuff nails are made of, no bone or ivory there.

http://www.stoprhinopoaching.com/

Hi Jan, very nice collection!
    I am also from Pretoria and looking to buy my first madolin, where can I start? I haven't played before. Sorry If I am partially hijacking your thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    Jan, I think what they are trying to say is that since mammoths have been extinct for 10,000 years. The authorities would know that only a few of the guys on the cafe are actually old enough to have hunted them
    I hunted mammoths with my father when I was a child, but he's the one who taught me to play the mandolin. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Mr Jacobs, I would recommend you go to a music shop in Pretoria, either Menlynn Centre or Centurion and try a few first. They are mostly ply wood tops, but see how you go.
    Then you can decide if you want to go more expensive.

I know only two luthiers around Pretoria, but they are expensive---- around R20 000. Otherwise look at the USA models and see what you can afford, but go for the carved top models.