Thread: What new music are you learning on your CBOM?

Default What new music are you learning on your CBOM?

Having deserted guitar, and recently come to mandocello - I am trying to learn some jazz standards and pop tunes. This week - I am working on Johnny A's jazz arrangement of "Walk, Don't Run". The chords require some agility, but the melody was figured out in five minutes.

Next up will be the old Isley Brothers hit "Your Old Lady", and then "Movement in the Light" by Fishbone.

Default Re: What new music are you learning on your CBOM?

298 views, and no responses?
    WTH?

Awesome I'm first!
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

mamma I'm coming home from ozzy works good on mandocello hehe
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Mostly converting old music that sounds new when played on my cittern. Old timey banjo tunes, especially the ones when tuned to sawmill, or mountain minor(MODAL?). Been a long time travelin here below. e.g. I haven't tuned the cittern the same as the banjo. GDGCG, for one. No short 5th string. No clawhammer picking. The tunes sound completely different yet evocative.

Blog Entries

some fado and traditional galician music, plus some folk liturgical music I play with a choir on sundays on archtop cittern, laúd or coimbra guitar. Some irish session music on bouzouki, laúd or some other tenor instruments. Droning and base lines on mandocello.

Anything new by Andy Irvine. Anything old by Andy Irvine. In fact anything by Andy Irvine.
    Modern(ish) stuff is anything by Orfeas Peridis or Sokrates Malamis, for my Greek visits. I’m also writing a lot of new tunes, mostly jigs and reels, as they come to me during practices for upcoming concerts.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I am learning an old Johnny Mercer tune on the OM: Autumn Leaves. It's an awesome melody and plays well on my 19" Beard OM.

Gotta say that I relate to the graphic. My first car was a 1950 Champ. My Dad worked at Studebaker before the war and Mom worked there during the war!

Gotta say that I relate to the graphic. My first car was a 1950 Champ. My Dad worked at Studebaker before the war and Mom worked there during the war!
    I'm an officer in local and national Studebaker Drivers Clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Having deserted guitar, and recently come to mandocello - I am trying to learn some jazz standards and pop tunes. This week - I am working on Johnny A's jazz arrangement of "Walk, Don't Run". The chords require some agility, but the melody was figured out in five minutes.

Next up will be the old Isley Brothers hit "Your Old Lady", and then "Movement in the Light" by Fishbone.
    How are you finding chords on the mandocello?

I ask as my fingers ache all over after a few seconds of playing.

Do you think the mandocello chord bible is any good, or is it better just to to transpose from mandolin chords?

I don't know any jazz music. I've been stuck on the first page of Bach's Cello Suite Preludes. I have been making progress - I have now got past the first line!

How are you finding chords on the mandocello?

I ask as my fingers ache all over after a few seconds of playing.

Do you think the mandocello chord bible is any good, or is it better just to to transpose from mandolin chords?

I don't know any jazz music. I've been stuck on the first page of Bach's Cello Suite Preludes. I have been making progress - I have now got past the first line!
    Bought Tobe Richards excellent mandocello chord book, as I don't like tranposing.
    Of course it hurts - it's practice! No pain, no gain.
    Don't know any jazz? Expand your world....

Well, I have always been learning ITM tunes, but I have recently made the switch from GDAE to GDAD, as I think there exists a greater range of possibilities. It's been a challenge these last few days, but fun!

Was working on "Ticket to Ride" and the Grateful Dead's "Birdsong", Neil Young's "World on a String" (mostly cause we've been doing those at weekly jams) and Black Berry Blossom, all from a mandocello perspective. Put Elixer medium guitar (24,25,45,56) strings on my ovation and so far so good. Oh and the Single from Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells - which is not the Exorcist theme but a short serialized melody(from part 2 I believe) he runs it through 3 different Keys. So I've been between mandocello and mandolin lately , hardly play my octave these days, but it will come back around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Was working on "Ticket to Ride" and the Grateful Dead's "Birdsong", Neil Young's "World on a String" (mostly cause we've been doing those at weekly jams) and Black Berry Blossom, all from a mandocello perspective. Put Elixer medium guitar (24,25,45,56) strings on my ovation and so far so good. Oh and the Single from Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells - which is not the Exorcist theme but a short serialized melody(from part 2 I believe) he runs it through 3 different Keys. So I've been between mandocello and mandolin lately , hardly play my octave these days, but it will come back around.
    Interesting tunes -- so are you play a back up with chords mostly or the melody line on mandocello in these settings?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Hey Bernie - A little of both, though not at the same time necessarily.

Playing some fiddle-driven Irish jams, so very simple strumming on the DAEB mandola, plus I'm singing some Dubliners / Clancy Brothers type stuff and trying to comp along.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boatswain View Post
    Well, I have always been learning ITM tunes, but I have recently made the switch from GDAE to GDAD, as I think there exists a greater range of possibilities. It's been a challenge these last few days, but fun!
    I find it hard to be in any other tuning. Some of our songs need GDAE though, and I don't always fancy having the OM with me, so the zouk has to be in GDAE for those times.
    I've tried ADAD, GDAE. GDAD just ROCKS. all those lovely modal things what you can do on it... one of those tunings where you feel you can't put your fingers in a bad place (fretboardwise lol)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website