Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: composing project

So, it is spring break now and a young (or not so young) musician's fancy turns to composition.

I don't really have that much free time -- there are performances and a pit orchestra gig -- and I am composing a chamber music piece.

My question for all of you is this:

Knowing that there are a number of composers here (and others who may be game to try), I am wondering if we might try a project together. Perhaps we can pick a theme (a folk song or some such) and each write one or more variations on it for either solo mandolin or mandolin and guitar.

Totally non-competitive, of course -- this should be a supportive and fun project sans stress.

It can work many different ways. We can define the project after we know if anyone else is interested.

Any interest?

I've studied harmony and counterpoint in the Brussels Conservatory, and it's been a while since I last wrote music (other than arrangements), so if I find the time I'd be happy to participate.

I'm interested and should have time but I'm not a real composer by any stretch of the imagination - just a metalhead turned folkie.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

[QUOTE]I'm interested and should have time but I'm not a real composer by any stretch of the imagination - just a metalhead turned folkie.[QUOTE]

There shouldn't be any distinction between "real composers" or otherwise (unreal composers?).

You would bring a different and valuable vantage point to the project as would any one else who would care to join us.

I also wouldn't mind a shot at a variation or two. I am a fantasy composer -- actually a composer in my fantasy.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think we have a quorum. Of course the door is still open to any one else who want to join in.

Any suggestions for a theme to vary?

I may be open to tossing in a variation. Just don't pick the Carnival of Venice, because I'm already writing my own variations on that!

Sounds like something I might like to try, as well.

But if this work becomes part of the standard repertoire, who will get the credit?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by (bratsche @ Mar. 14 2005, 13:38)
    But if this work becomes part of the standard repertoire, who will get the credit?
    Penelope Ashe
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Quote Originally Posted by
    Co-composed by .......

© 2005.........

Why not?

Will you guys and gals be sharing as you build your piece. It would be very interesting to see the process? Thanks John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I am not sure what the process is in composing a variation, but I am looking fwd to trying and will share whatever my experience will be.

I think the difficult part will be trying to determine the "seed" melody for this. Perhaps, Professor Dalton should just suggest one as an assignment-- I am not so sure how democracy would work in this case.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I am not a "composer" by any means but i am experienced at writing music and whatnot. I can offer any help of suggestions you may want. As you might know my classical perspective is alot different in the writings of my songs. But i will be glad to share my limited classical knowledge.

I've always been intrigued by things like Terry Riley's "In C", where he wrote a series of variations, and each musician plays a section at whatever tempo s/he likes, for as long as s/he cares to, then moves to the next section. The basic rule was, no going back, only fwd. When the last person reaches the end and stops playing, the performance is over. (Whether the audience remains to the end is of course problematic).

Not that I'm suggesting that as a format; but somehow I was reminded of it.

There was a similar idea a month ago, I think, but it left further undevelopped. May be this time... I would like to give it a try.

There are a lot of Variations on the Venetian Carnival and I`m curious in hearing the next one. Good luck, Mr. Gladd!

Indeed, maybe round up these characters in deference to the earlier effort.

Sounds fun. JimD's original suggestion had been to pick a folk tune as the base, a proposal that has quite a few historical resonances (Beethoven for example was very keen on folk song variations). Being the original proposer, I suggest JimD be the one to pick (or provide an original seed tune).

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Mar. 15 2005, 10:47)
    Being the original proposer, I suggest JimD be the one to pick (or provide an original seed tune).
    I agree... the ball is in JimD's court....

I also like the idea better of separate variations vs. a few bars each. We might acutally have some music come out of it, rather than the proverbial camel.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by (plami @ Mar. 15 2005, 05:22)
    There are a lot of Variations on the Venetian Carnival and I`m curious in hearing the next one. Good luck, Mr. Gladd!
    Like this one that the Tröester's edited by Vogt. Anyone have this folio? Is it a decent piece worht attempting?

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vogt.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	7365  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Greetings fellow composers,

Since it falls to me to choose a theme, I have been pondering our options.

The best thing for me to do would probably be to post the theme for all to read.

If someone (more savvy about such things) could tell me how to post a pdf file, I'll take care of that as soon as I narrow the choices.

Thanks.

Dies irae, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by
    Dies irae, anyone?
    Feeling morbid?

Seriously though -- I'm game if anyone else is.

I think that's a good choice. It's hardly stereotypically mandolinish music and it's very simple so we should get some real interesting variations.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

If the theme and variations are meant to be played one after another (as is usually done), we should maybe write them all in the same key (Variations in both Major or Minor are possible of course). Any suggestion?, or maybe Jim can post the theme in the key he prefers.....

Yes, I agree. It would also help me for the seed tune to be posted. Gif would be fine here or even abc. I also have Finale if that helps.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: