Thread: Glen Aln Rant

Kingston Upon Hull East Yorkshire , England

Default Glen Aln Rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pM7WpwwzNU

Hi All.
    I have been playing for 4 weeks ( play fiddle as well ). From the Northumbrian and Tyneside collection compiled by Pete Loud.

2. The following members say thank you to mandoritz for this post:

Default Re: Glen Aln Rant

Nice playing for only 4 weeks. It looks like you only are using downstrokes. Is there a reason for that? In general, most folks would alternate up and down strokes for fast melody lines.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Basically still finding my way with it as a new instrument. Will start to concentrate on right hand technique when brain becomes more acclimatised to mandolin.

Looks like you got it goine, good work. Have fun and thanks for the link.

Thanks Denny. Really enjoying the mandolin and thanks for the reply.

Alan, I think you are well on your way. How long have you been playing fiddle? I love the Northumbrian tunes. I would buy that Peter Loud book but it gets very expensive with the shipping. In fact the shipping to the US cost more than the price of the book.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello Jim.

Hello Jim. I have been playing fiddle about 4 years so I am a relative new starter. Now just about getting used to mandolin fretboard, sort of dictating where fingers are placed. Have read a few of your posts Jim. whilst trawling the forum for hints and tips. by the way the Pete loud site has a fair few that you can download PDF format. No cost. Your comment on down up down strokes has given me food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would buy that Peter Loud book but it gets very expensive with the shipping. In fact the shipping to the US cost more than the price of the book.
    Jim - I think you are mis-reading the order page for the book:

http://www.peterloud.co.uk/tunebook/

28 British pounds pays the for the book as well as the postage to the US. I bought the book a couple of weeks ago and the PayPal total was indeed 28 pounds. Not chickenfeed at $US47 but it IS a nice book.

MikeyG

11. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

Thanks, Mike. As usual you are quite right and also usual I read way too quickly. I have paid similar for choro books so thi sone does sound worth it esp for Northumbrian stuff. Thanks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

4 Weeks? We'd better watch our backs!

Ditto Jim Garber on the picking. Since you already know the fingering from the fiddle, it's never too soon to set to work on your right hand. The way you are approaching the tune at present is, I think, rather like a classical player would - as such, it sounds very nice. But I think that, to play it as a dance tune, with solid rhythm, alternate picking is essential.

Very nice, Glen! You have talent! It's a good thing to do some practice with all down-strokes, even for advanced players.

Your next step will obviously be alternating strokes as soon as you feel you are ready. I teach my students the basic "Rules" with easy exercises and the first tune I use is a simple version of "Red-haired Boy"... and then we move on from there. The "Rules" are often broken, ie: A slow 3/4 tune (usually a waltz) using down strokes to get a better tone and punctuation where upstrokes would normally be used if you strictly followed the "Rules", especially when playing waltzes by Bill Monroe! There's more to it than that, but just to simplify. But I agree with the other comments, fast picking does require alternate picking and I have a feeling that you are going to get there very quickly!

The main thing is to make it fun!

15. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

Cheers Whistler will take the good advice on board!! Thanks Alan.

Thanks for the reply Cheryl. Its this sort of advice I need. The mandolin sort of hijacked me and I know of no other mandolinists in my region. Therefore any advice I can garner from this forum is of great value. Many thanks for your input and support !!. Alan

Nice Job! You have made great progress in a short amount of time. Keep going!

19. The following members say thank you to deadend3 for this post:

Thank you Deadend3. Have just stopped practise session.Just started watching World cup football. Congrats USA getting through to the next round !!!