Thread: Mobile, AL Bound

Default Mobile, AL Bound

I am going to be moving to Mobile, AL within the next month and I was curious if there are any cafe alumni down that way? I will be honest I am going to be in nursing school, so I won't be able to come out and play too often; nevertheless, I would like to know if there is anyone available to play with during my down time.
    Kentucky KM-150
    Collings MT

Default Re: Mobile, AL Bound

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    I am going to be moving to Mobile, AL within the next month and I was curious if there are any cafe alumni down that way? I will be honest I am going to be in nursing school, so I won't be able to come out and play too often; nevertheless, I would like to know if there is anyone available to play with during my down time.
    Hi Michael,

I am not from the Mobile area, but maybe this will help. You might try a store in Stapleton, AL, which is not far from Mobile. It is called Picker's Paradise. They have a website: pickersparadiseguitars.com. I just read about the store in the latest edition of BAMAGRASS, the newsletter of the Alabama Bluegrass Association (ABMA). Apparently the owner of the store, Tommy Allen, is a bluegrass guy, and the store has a regular jam. The ABMA is a good source of info too. The association website is

www.alabamabluegrassmusic.org. Hope this helps. Good luck with nursing school.

George

Hey thanks George. I was starting worry no one was going to reply to my thread. I sent an email to Picker's Paradise and asked if they could point me in the direction of some bluegrass/old-time sessions. Hopefully, they will respond back with some names/numbers. Again thanks for the information.

-Michael
    Kentucky KM-150
    Collings MT

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    Hey thanks George. I was starting worry no one was going to reply to my thread. I sent an email to Picker's Paradise and asked if they could point me in the direction of some bluegrass/old-time sessions. Hopefully, they will respond back with some names/numbers. Again thanks for the information.

-Michael
    Hope you find some folks to pick with. You can leave your winter clothes in ND! It is hot and humid in LA (Lower Alabama). I met a fiddle player who passed through here in helicopter flight school at a nearby army base who was from the north west. He played with our little bluegrass garage band while he was stationed here. When we thought it was cold in winter, he was in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Enjoy!

They replied back and said they have a jam session every third Thursday of the month. They said if I can't keep up (since I am a beginner) that I am more than welcome to come and watch until I can jump in with them.
    Kentucky KM-150
    Collings MT

Check out the Gulf Coast Bluegrass Music Association. They have a monthly jam and showcase in Pensacola, FL - just about an hour east of Mobile... Also lots of info on their website about bluegrass stuff in the south Alabama and Florida panhandle region.

http://www.gcbma.org/