Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strings For Vintage National Resonator Mandolin 489

Default Re: Strings For Vintage National Resonator Mandolin 489

Well, National's marketing-spiel for the RM1 claims it's based on a rare old instrument. These here wood-body Triolians, if that's really what I've got, are the only National mandos I've ever seen with a standard scale. I've seen only four of these or so. Mine has no shield decal or evidence of ever having one ... but it does have a serial number and the National cover plate with the patent dates.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I remember reading similar things said by Wade Hampton Miller when I was erased arching my National RM-1: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=291775.
    Hah - can't say for absolute sure, but sure sounds like the same guy reading that.

They're nice instruments. I hope to get play time on one someday.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Very Cool article, pheffernan. It is interesting that they did go with the more std mandolin scale but left the wide fretboard. Personally, I would have preferred the std 1-1/8" at the nut neck width, but that is just me. In any case, I do love the tone and volume.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-10-2014 at 3:36pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think some Savarez Argentine Mandolin strings would be cool.

Because these mandolins have a longer scale length, I think tuning it down a couple steps to like E, B, F#, C# might help.

Since National is located in Ca. Why not try calling them and see if they can steer you in the right direction in finding the gear.

As usual, Oscar always prefers to reply to old threads. This was originally about their 10 year old son playing a National mandolin but by now the boy is 19. If they haven't dealt with the gear by now... OTOH they may have sold the mandolin to pay a small fraction of their son's college tuition. Either that or he is now a blues mandolin virtuoso ...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

How about Magma MA100 Strings?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I remember reading similar things said by Wade Hampton Miller when I was erased arching my National RM-1: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=291775.
    Thanks for the link, Pat. I enjoyed spotting my late 1st cousin Don's name. I am glad his legacy continues as we appreciate his instrument innovations in the resophonic tradition he and his partner Gains restored in the late '80's.

11. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post: