Thread: cheap peg winder

Default cheap peg winder

Does anyone know of a cheap source for a mandolin peg winder? Mine just broke after umpteen years. It was plastic but worked just fine for many years. I'm not really interested in a finely crafted tool, nor one that I need to use other tools with to get the job done. I've checked Ebay and Amazon, but didn't see anything. I would be most grateful for any help.
    Daniel Kaufman

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: cheap peg winder

I've never found a cheap mando winder. Guitar winders are cheap but not mando winders, for some reason.
    Living’ in the Mitten

This is what I have and has worked fine so far...

PLANET WAVES PEG WINDER
    Molded plastic string winder from Planet Waves. Fits virtually all guitars, banjos and mandolins; has string stretcher and bridge pin puller built into the handle.
    $5.99
    "Inspired to play music by many, both locally and globally...but no one inspired me more than my late grandfather, Charles "Paw" Fletcher Metcalf." - Tommy Berry, Jr.

Morgan Monroe "Bean Blossom" - BM4A Electric

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    Does anyone know of a cheap source for a mandolin peg winder? Mine just broke after umpteen years. It was plastic but worked just fine for many years. I'm not really interested in a finely crafted tool, nor one that I need to use other tools with to get the job done. I've checked Ebay and Amazon, but didn't see anything. I would be most grateful for any help.
    I bought a cheap guitar pegwinder, cut it to fit my mandolin tuner buttons, super glued a pick to it to reclose the box, filed the edges and rounded the corners so they won't hit the headstock. Works great, cost about $1.50 and a half hour in time. There's a thread about it on here with DIY pics etc. It's easy.

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Christensen for this post:

Default Re: beautiful peg winder

I got one of these... Sorry not cheap $20, but nice tone-wood, made in Colorado and they work great. Sometimes a reasonably priced good product is a greater value in the long run. Rumored to improve the tone of your mandolin (just kidding, but they look cool) as always NFI. (maybe someday I'll have a FI in something mandolin other than purchasing them...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d-string-clearance-clip.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	121368

http://www.wildwoodstringwinders.com/Mandolin.html
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

7. The following members say thank you to Perry Babasin for this post:

Peg winders look like they do something but they really are unnecessary.... The strings only need to wrap around the posts a couple of times as long as the strings are properly installed as seen on frets.com. Frank Ford shows how to lock the string so that it will not slip and it takes a fraction of the time to install and tighten the string than not using this system.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bart mcneil For This Useful Post:

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	121369. I cut the end off and heat up with a butane torch to bend the sides around. Not pretty but it works!
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

I made my own peg winder like this. And use an electric screw driver to turn it. Worked very well for me.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...314_112355.jpg
    Sorry, I still cannot insert any photo in this forum (after I replaced my old PC with this new PC since Oct2013).
    You only need to choose the square blue part small enough for the mandolin tuner head.

I posted it a while ago, here is the link
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=string+winder

I got one at Guitar Center last year for $1.99. It works fine on my mandolins (and guitars, too).

My favorite answer to this question is this. I took a plain jane Jim Dunlop guitar winder, cut a chunk out of the middle and used Superglue to put it back together. It's worked for years.

Cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jop.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	121389  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I use the Frets.com method, which means only a little more than one revolution of string goes around each stringpost. I have never had a string slip and can't imagine ever needing a string winder - but have enjoyed seeing the solutions offered up here.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I use the Frets.com method, which means only a little more than one revolution of string goes around each stringpost. I have never had a string slip and can't imagine ever needing a string winder - but have enjoyed seeing the solutions offered up here.
    I might just try that on my next set. thx for link Ron

I have an electric bass that needs several turns on the A string to get a good angle at the nut. Other than that I have never needed a string winder.

Taking strings off is very fast, and putting them on even faster using the Frank Ford method and a winder. With high ratio tuners, even a couple of rotations of the post take a lot of winding, and doing it by hand is frustrating particularly if you are trying to keep tension on the string to maintain that back-wind thing. I have found that at this stage of a string change, the faster you move the better. Of course it is unnecessary, but it is also a handy tool for a M.A.S. infected, obsessive-compulsive mandolin enthusiast!

Besides if you don't have a lot of disposable cash to buy too many instruments (can there be such a thing?), silly mandolin peripherals ease the pain.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Peg winders look like they do something but they really are unnecessary.... The strings only need to wrap around the posts a couple of times as long as the strings are properly installed as seen on frets.com. Frank Ford shows how to lock the string so that it will not slip and it takes a fraction of the time to install and tighten the string than not using this system.
    Thank you for the "frets.com" link! I just broke my first string today at lunch and I've not seen this site before...seems to be quiet easy with their useful (and informative) information!
    "Inspired to play music by many, both locally and globally...but no one inspired me more than my late grandfather, Charles "Paw" Fletcher Metcalf." - Tommy Berry, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHossCCF View Post
    Thank you for the "frets.com" link! I just broke my first string today at lunch and I've not seen this site before...seems to be quiet easy with their useful (and informative) information!
    It's a mine of top-class expertise and advice on instrument maintenance. One of the best mandolin-related sites on the web.

23. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

OP, just a FYI...I used the peg winder that I mentioned in post #3 today and I wanted to add that it states it is for GUITAR...but it has two peg tuner "holders" in that it fits the MANDOLIN pretty near perfect without any modifications needed. I love it!

Ron, I used the "frets method" tonight in changing my E strings...again, great like! It made doing something I had never done before...easy! Thank you again!

Blog Entries

You say, "There's a thread about it on here with DIY pics etc." No link. Shucks.

It's not all that hard to do this. Get the white Jim Dunlop guitar winder (I'm not sure if the others can be superglued) and cut it leaving what is left in this picture. Fill it a little less than half way with baking soda and drop in a few drops of superglue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jop.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	196070  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I rarely get an entire wrap around my post so I just never understood a pegwinder. How many times are you all wrapping the strings around the post?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

After countless times removing old strings from repair projects, I've come to appreciate my winder that slips into my mini rechargable, pistol grip screwdriver.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Definitely NOT a cheap string winder, but simply the best string winder, ever: Frank's Cranks (http://www.frankscranks.com/). NFI. Soft, contoured nylon head that won't damage the finish. Ball bearings for incredibly smooth action. Fits mando tuners perfectly. Maybe a suggestion for a Christmas or birthday present?

Winding the strings around the post first then going thru the hole not only keeps the tension on the string, but eliminates the need for the winder. Winding strings on the post helps keep them from breaking at the post hole. Locking the string by winding the string over the string can cause it to break there, I think it rarely does tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

These work great for mandolin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203234554395

They come in different "guitar brands" but always around the same price. Can use the crank handle or electric screwdriver.