Thread: Weymann Style 40 mandolute?

Default Weymann Style 40 mandolute?

At least that is what I think it is. This one has the typical bass side of fingerboard top crack (unrepaired, but seems like the brace has held it steady for years) and a minor back seam separation that looks like an easy fix. The neck has a cool "speed" neck finish but the "figure" on the neck looks like it might be enhanced (fake?) but I am not sure. Sounds pretty good and seems like with a little TLC it could be pretty cool. I have the chance to get this really cheap. Does anyone know what these are approximately worth?
    Sorry for the poor photos.

Sean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weymann 1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	121472

Name:	Weymann 2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	121473

Name:	Weymann 3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	121474

Name:	Weymann 4.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	121475

Default Re: Weymann Style 40 mandolute?

It looks stunning.

Swap you for my German 6 string working guitar lute which has no cracks

This one at Buckdancer's Choice is listed at $499. Not sure why it is dated as 2000.

This one was listed @ $675

This one sold for $525 in may of this year.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I listed one last year at $450, it hasn't sold yet and I haven't followed up on reducing the price to see what I could get for it.
    The neck figure on mine is real, very nice maple, and I believe it was dyed with steel wool and vinegar or a similar oxidized metal "dye".

Jim, thank you for the info, the specs on these are kind of all over the place but I am still guessing this is a Model 40. I now have a pretty firm number in my mind of what I am willing to pay and hope I get it.

Marty- I remember I almost bought that from you last year, I thought it looked familiar! Very interesting about the steel wool and vinegar, I never heard of that but that is exactly what it looks like!

I am going to my first "live" auction on Sat. I registered yesterday and got to take a look at this and I really liked the feel of the neck on this. Kind of exciting, wish me luck!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    I am going to my first "live" auction on Sat. I registered yesterday and got to take a look at this and I really liked the feel of the neck on this. Kind of exciting, wish me luck!
    You can do quite well at a local live auction. Unlike many bidders I have a different strategy. Many folks want to be in the back to see who they are bidding against. I prefer to stay in the very front and not know who I am bidding against. So,me of my best purchases were at live auctions pre-eBay and I was often bidding against dealers who want to pay much less than I do or against phone bidders who I can't really tell. I would just stick my hand up and keep it up until I get my high bid. I got my first Ashley fiddle that way and my Bacon Artist, both of which i still have and play.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

sgrexa 

Well I took your advice Jim and sat in the front row. Turns out there was a guy who wanted it a little bit more than I did and I bailed out at $175. With auction fees, that is around $220 or so and not a screaming buy for sure. It was fun though and there sure was a lot of other cool stuff that got my interest.

Sean

There have been quite a few go up for sale lately. Buy-It-Now's have gone unsold at $350 or so. I have heard sales as high as $700, but never seen one. I'll say this, the figure on the wood is NOT fake. Mandolutes were made with solid wood and very nicely crafted. The name kind of puts people off. The necks have a tendency to bow slightly giving a degree of "relief" that may not affect playability much. The have a nice sweet sound, though not terribly loud. I enjoy my model 30 for quiet playing at home.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Sorry, Sean, I didn't mean to steer you wrong but at least you knew when to stop. I think my strategy is not necessarily to win at all costs but to brake before I drain my bank account in the heat of a competition. Sounds like rationality prevailed.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: