Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

I just found it ( a transcription of the waltz). Stay tuned!

Gino di Rosa transcribed the popular waltz in 2010. It's a wonderful addition to the discussion of ballo liscio. This piece personifies all that is good in the dance tradition, and probably serves as one of the great inspirational waltzes that the Italian-Americans brought with them and learned from. My dear friend Gino has given me permission to share this transcription/notation for guitar and mandolin. This was based on Maestro Antonio Calsolaro's video.

MM94 probably should be an F#7/A#
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian Waltz.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Apr-28-2015 at 6:03pm. Reason: correction in score.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much for all of this!! Greatly appreciated!

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Sheriiiiiii thank you !

I was listening to this song for 2 years on youtube....now it´s time to play it myself.

Thanks again for your support !
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

6. The following members say thank you to bluesmandolinman for this post:

This 17th century tarantella has recently come into my library. It possesses an organetto (forerunner to the accordion) notation with melodic line on a separate staff above. The Renaissance chords are completely different than a modern 19th century tarantella. So I've transcribed it here with both chord symbol notations. I included a note at the bottom of the sheet music page. Chord symbols (upper line) in parentheses appeared in the original manuscript. The melodic line (with occasional sharps) is the more modern melodic minor preference. Leave them out if you want the Renaissance feel. I'm actually fond of the Renaissance chord progressions--they're perfect for the Italian Renaissance fair which is taking place this weekend in Vallejo, near where I live. Unfortunately, I have gigs so I can't attend but check it out for a recreation of this important era in humanism.
    So, there are 2 sheets (the original) and my transcription with dual chord progressions and suggested melodic notation with sharps for a more modern sound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tarantella_XVII_secolo.pdf   Tarantella_Napoletana_XVII.pdf  

For those who like consolidated files, here are Sheri's recent 18 new tunes, plus the Tarantella and Waltz added at the end (I did not amend the excel spreadsheet/table of contents to list those).

Great stuff and thank you!

A while back Sheri uploaded a number of scanned Italian folk song books plus a short group of accordion tunes (I think this might be in a different thread). I haven't had the chance to look at the folk songs but I recommend those accordion tunes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc Italian 4-30-15 20 tunes.pdf  

9. The following members say thank you to morgan for this post:

Just a quick note about the Renaissance Tarantella. I'm sure everyone's already noticed that the time signature is 6/16. That is correct. Some may have noticed a discrepancy in the number of measures (between the original and my transcription). That is OK, too. It seems my Sibelius program was challenged by this unusual signature and failed to count the second endings in my special house style. So don't worry, all the measures are there even if they don't add up to the original number. It will be fine.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    It seems my Sibelius program was challenged by this unusual signature and failed to count the second endings
    Ah, the pleasures of working with Sibelius....I'm an Avid customer too. I get it. Thanks all the same.

13. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I've just posted the score and recording for a nice mazurka by Carlo Munier over in the classical forum here. However, arguably it fits better into this thread here, which is why I'm crossposting.

Carlo Munier (1859-1911): Mazurka Allegra

Carlo Munier was the most prominent classical composer for mandolin of his day, but this particular mazurka is much more popular dance piece than classical concert repertoire. Composed for two mandolins and guitar and following the conventional form of the mandolin mazurka of its day. It's fun, though, and I'm playing it much as I would do with a Di Bella or Pagani dance piece by one of their in-house jobbing tunesmiths.

This piece was originally published in one of the first issues of the fortnightly magazine "Il Plettro", published in Milan from 1906 onwards.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin

15. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

UP TO DATE 5.19.15

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxtdxipdj...1OL86Xj8a?dl=0

These Excel spreadsheets are the most accurate and complete listings of all the mandolin titles I've uploaded. Today, I added/uploaded a dozen or so mainly operatic pieces; unfortunately, so far, it's mostly M2 parts. I'd love it if someone could look around and see if you have any M1 parts for these titles. It would be great to have complete sets. I'm very willing to accept any and old jpg files and convert to PDFs. Please let me know if you have any you'd like to share. Thanks again, Sheri
    P.S. As always, if you're experiencing any difficulty with access, send me a note or say something here in the forum.
    Last edited by Mandophile; May-19-2015 at 7:48pm. Reason: re-upload file

Just to spark things as we enter summer months, we're working at a new batch of the "New York Trio" ballo liscio tradition. Not sure when we'll be able to upload but I hope you're downloading everything so far along with the Indexes. We will do our best to fill in any missing parts. I'll also remind you that the Neapolitan and Italian Canzone thread is filled with gorgeous melodies--even if you don't perform with a vocalist, these pieces are fabulous on any instrument. I just recorded myself playing one on Youtube: "Un Giorno ti Dirò." If you take a listen, I had to transcribe the piece and actually add the bridge section--which was missing from the original which I uploaded to the Canzone collection. It's always a great sign when an original song transforms itself 40 years later and that enhancement improves the piece. This is what happened when I heard Nicola Artigliano perform it--WOW! I was smitten. OK, that's it. Hang in there! and thanks to everyone for helping to preserve this significant dance tradition.

18. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I've uploaded an obscure 1896 Berlin publisher's waltz composed by Olivier Metra: Valse Espagnole. It has M1, M2, Mandola, & Guitar. In addition, in the middle of this 16-page PDF, there is a Mandocello part in manuscript form. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it looks like someone knew what they were doing. Because this is a miscellaneous publisher, it will reside in the MISC Folder. I will also upload it here to facilitate.

Now, where's that BBQ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valse_Espagnole_M1-M2-Mdola-Mcello-G.pdf  

I'm temporarily taking down the Indexes as it has come to my attention that the Excel spreadsheets need to be PDFs. Also, due to the insanity of uploading thousands of pages last year, and into the early part of this year, some titles were associated with incorrect publishers. These are easy fixes but I don't want any one to use the Indexes until I fix all of them. That means individual publishers and COMBINED publishers/titles files will undergo a close scrutinization until they are all in sync. You will still be able to access any and all sheet music.
    In the coming months, we will be uploading additional titles so the need for 100% accuracy is essential. We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have any questions at all, please contact me while the spreadsheets are undergoing reorganization. Thanks to everyone for your compliments, for your support for this beautiful music, and for preserving my Italian heritage.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'd like to reiterate my thanks to you for all the effort you are going to so these pieces are out there. Our mandolin trio will be incorporating one of the pieces by P Tesio in our repertoire from next autumn.
    It's a great, slightly bonkers, polka called 'Bicycle' chosen randomly because two of us are keen bikers.
    Nobody knew how or whether it would work until I rearranged it for M1M2&Mcello & we had a play through. It's such a fun contrast to the Renaissance, Baroque and Classical pieces we had been doing that it got an immediate thumbs up from all.
    Once we've got a recording I'll pop a link on here.

So thanks for what could be a real mine of lively long neglected pieces that we can all have a blast with.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

I sure do appreciate your post. I needed to see that as I was quite discouraged with the problems I encountered in the Excel spreadsheets. I can't wait to hear the Bicycle polka!

25. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Just flirting here...with another title just uploaded. As we work through the Index to straighten it out, I came across this classic polka in my archives. 1902. It's uploaded with miscellaneous publishers right now. "Un Bacio in Fretta" (A Stolen Kiss) unfortunately only a M1 part with chord symbols (pretty reliable as I've played it). I think the title is a bit of a pun, too, isn't it? Have fun! It's time for some mandolin fireworks! Play it fast!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Un_Bacio_in_Fretta_M1.pdf  

27. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Thanks to all involved for making these wonderful resources available! Several of us from the Munier Mandolin Orchestra (in Phila, PA) recently performed two pieces from the O. DiBella collection ("Ti Recordi" and "Villetta Barrea") on a local TV program highlighting the Italian-American heritage ("Ciao Bella: Living Italian Style"). Here is the segment (which also includes interview). The arrangements are for M1, M2, and Gtr. Our mandocellist doubles the bass notes in the guitar part.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlinkins For This Useful Post:

Arranged by Joseph Gioè, one of the most gifted of the performing mandolinists, composer & publisher. Nice tremolos throughout and beautifully rendered. Ah! it makes for a lovely Sunday afternoon!

31. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

DOWNLOAD the attached PDF of the 20-pg Index by Title!! as attached

I have spent a couple of months repairing the Excel spreadsheet which contains more than 600 entries from mostly major, and a few minor Italian publishers. The gremlins have been banished. I’ve added a few titles and straightened out a several dozen titles that were placed under incorrect publishers (my apologies). The original publisher (with the earliest known publishing date) is now identified in the far left column.
    Crediting composers, and their respective publishers and arrangers, is tantamount to establishing provenance and an accurate historical record. It is crucial for the truth to be revealed about the cutthroat business of publication during the formative years of legal copyright law. For example, the voracious di Bella collection took great advantage of the early 1930s Depression and the demise of publishing houses such as Antonio Grauso. I’ve been able to identify several folios (F101 through F106) that were subsumed by di Bella and promoted within its own dance catalogs. So while you may read di Bella, without copyright, as the publisher at the bottom of the sheet music page, many were originally published with Grauso and others.
    As a result, the copyrights on these public domain pieces tend to be disingenuous and misleading. The illustrious Maestro Luigi Canora (AKA Canoro) finally became so disgusted with the situation, he made sure his own name appeared as sole copyright source on his compositions. Composers own copyrights and I’m afraid that many publishers, if not all, took advantage of them. When nothing was done to protect, credit and compensate a composer, he might leave and seek out other publishers or start his own publishing house (like Gioè). At some point, having been abused in the Darwinian struggle, composers and arrangers began to publish their own works. It was a dare! The result of that choice is a story which is still unfolding…believe it or not.
    I made other improvements to the files: The samples, catalog listings, and fragmentary parts are now separately held in their own publisher folder. Yes, you will find them listed but with the word SAMPLE in the far right column. It is crucial that we have samples; without them it would be impossible to track down other missing parts. They are the crumbs that will lead us to complete pieces. You may ask why all the publishers had these snippets. A simple explanation: marketing. If you’re going to entice a teacher or a performer to buy something, they must try it out and see if they like it. Back then a ten cent piece of music was expensive. You did not want to waste it on a mediocre composer.
    I’m thrilled with the response from so many people—all around the world. It is a labor of love and love’s labor is never lost. There is more work coming this summer. Please download these TODAY! before they disappear into an abyss or a damp basement where they will dissolve via microorganisms. Thank you.

PAOLLILI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwjop3xot...NZ2FyLJJa?dl=0
    GRAUSO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0k376jaw...uaXhwIuAa?dl=0
    De STEFANO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0
    CARDILLI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0
    MISCELLANEOUS
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0
    Di BELLA
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0
    PAGANI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1gkmids1x...8YMQbGxFa?dl=0
    TESIO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.13.15_update_9PM.pdf  

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

SAMPLES & LISTINGS
    I'm still trying to sort through all the catalogs and scan them as well but these links go directly to the samples/excerpts and listings
    of many of the publishers.

DE STEFANO SAMPLES etc
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i7qjav2kt...hH9jqo1Ka?dl=0
    CARDILLI SAMPLES etc
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx8ibzay7...QMTLkwU4a?dl=0
    TESIO SAMPLES etc
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8i0p5xccp...4ahSicOOa?dl=0

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Grauso's RED Folios assimilated by di Bella. The new Index reflects the origin of many appropriated titles in these folios. Worth a look.

And I'll continue to publish updated Indexes as with each addition and/or correction, I will announce the modifications in each folder. That will enable you to download everything now and then return to the link later and download only those titles that are in the NEW BATCH. Stay tuned for that as summer is heating up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Di_Bella's_Grauso_RED_Folios.pdf  

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Uploaded a complete Trio of "Stella di Mia Vita" a 1906 Tesio arranged title by Lo Cascio, and an updated, corrected Index.
    I'm also celebrating 10 years at Mandolin Cafe! Viva Mando Cafe!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.15.15_update_1PM.pdf  

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your ongoing work to promote this repertoire. I really love much of this music, especially the Gioe and Canora arrangements and compositions. I love the fact that this music, marketed for mass consumption, also happened to be so beautifully written and arranged. I will qualify that a bit...The mandolin parts are beautifully written and arranged. The written guitar parts in many instances, can be described, at best, as functional. A capable accompanist would do much better to use the chord changes (symbols) to create his/her own accompaniment, varying the accompaniment patterns within and across the A, B, and C sections. With tasteful guitar work, many of these pieces really come to life. Before I found this thread, I had access to only a handful of these pieces...Now, I have access to hundreds of them. This is, for me, the most useful resource that I've found on the Cafe! Thank you!

41. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

You are correct to place this (Mazurka Allegra) Munier composition within the ballo liscio thread, and not the classical thread. While certain elements might be classical in flavor, this mazurka exemplifies the stylistic musical ideal of ballo liscio. It is an exceptional piece that establishes the framework for this tradition. Too bad he died before he could enjoy the flourishing era with Canora, Gioè, Sartori, Tafarella, Silvestri, Becucci and others but every great tradition needs a pioneer. Just two suggestions: Mazurkas must be played faster so it will flow more easily, and the third beat needs to be a bit more prominent to distinguish it from the lilting waltz.

I ask each of you to be your own ethnomusicologist, like Martin. From the desire to preserve what I believe to be public domain pieces of this era, I am very intent that these artifacts be performed and recorded. The process of sampling the best involves hard work; however, if any one else out there is looking to record these early pieces, I would strongly recommend the top fifty list (or any of the above composers I just listed). I have made more than one list over the years and tried to encourage publishers to make available, but to no avail. Out of the 630+ titles so far uploaded, perhaps only a handful are great compositions but there are dozens worthy of the time to record for posterity. I list about 50 titles that might reside in the exceptional/outstanding definition and urge everyone on Mando Cafe to record one title with friends and post it here. I couldn't be happier than to hear those performed.

Thank you Martin!

Amor di Bimba - mazurka
    Adriana polka
    Amore! - waltz
    Angel's Dream thank you Martin for recording this one.
    Baldoria - polka
    Bella - mazurka
    La Bella Bruna - polka
    Bizzosa polka
    Brilliant Waves - waltz
    Buenos Ayres - tango
    Calabrisella - polka
    Che Ridere --many have recorded this one.
    Deliziosa - mazurka
    Dolce Aprile - mazurka
    La Dolce Cristina - waltz
    Dolores - Spanish Valse
    Elvira --several arrangements. everyone played this.
    Fior d'Aprile-waltz
    Fior d'Aprile-waltz
    Gentile Pensiero
    Gigetta - polka
    Gloria d'un Poeta - march
    Il Bacio
    Il Golfo Incantato - waltz
    Malicious - polka
    Margaret - polka
    Marietta polka
    Michael - waltz
    My Love - tango
    La Napoletana - mazurka
    Notte d'estate - mazurka
    Notte a Palermo waltz
    Occhi celesti - mazurka
    Paradiso - waltz
    Parigina - polka
    Pioggia di Rose - mazurka
    Pioggia di Stelle - polka
    Saltarellando - polka
    Sei tu! - polka
    Sei Tutta Mia - polka
    Serenade I - waltz
    Sicilianella - polka
    La Spagnola - waltz
    Sparkling Eyes - tango
    Stella - mazurka
    Telefono - waltz
    Tesoro Mio - waltz
    Tra veglia e sonno - mazurka
    Under the Double Eagle - marcia
    Valentine - mazurka
    Vita Palermitana - waltz
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jul-18-2015 at 11:25am.

43. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I have not done that much recording over the years, (tho I would love to do more) but have recorded one mazurka, Sogno Di Bimba, on my Soundcloud channel.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

45. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Leo37