Thread: New here.

Default New here.

Hi, my name is Amanda. I have played the guitar for about 13 years and never really went that far with it. About two days ago I decided to buy a mandolin (Gretsch New Yorker G9310) and am far more impressed at how quickly I am picking this up. I found myself continually coming back to this website to look things up and decided today I should just go ahead and join. If anyone has any tips on how to excel with this instrument, good places to look up tabs or anything else mandolin related I am completely ok with suggestions. :)

Default Re: New here.

No advice to give you as most of the other members are much more proficient than I am, but welcome and enjoy dividing your time between playing and hanging out here.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

3. The following members say thank you to Ellen T for this post:

apar87 

Like you I came with basically guitar experience years before buying my first mando. Did you buy from a mail order discount or from a brick and mortar dealer? The reason this is important is that discount mail order mandos are almost never set up after the factory and are very often difficult to fret comfortably and will often play out of tune as you go up the neck. These adjustments are called "setting up" a mando and it is doubly important with a mando as they have short strings under high tension, compared with a guitar. So only being a little out of adjustment can make a lot of difference on a mandolin. Getting your mando set up, if it is not, is really money well spent

We hope you feel free to ask questions and comment on various topics of interest. I think the hard part may come in about six months when many folks give up or lose interest. But I think that if you play every day you will make progress and likely succeed in the long term.

Welcome!
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-13-2014 at 4:37pm. Reason: speling and contente

5. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

apar87 

Amanda,
    Welcome to the Café. You will find it full of useful information and a great group of people.

7. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

apar87 

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your new friend as much as possible! I don't have much advice either, as there are players here who are much more advanced than I. Just have fun and enjoy!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

9. The following members say thank you to Ben Cooper for this post:

apar87 

I bought it from Guitar center. The first one I had picked was the acoustic/electric version of the New Yorker but when I hooked it up to my PA it wouldn't work so we took it back and I settled for the acoustic version. After talking to a few popular mandolin players around town I am quite happy with my decision. I made sure when I left the store that it was still in the box from the factory and had my boyfriend put the bridge on for me. I have barely put it down since.

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Like you I came with basically guitar experience years before buying my first mando. Did you buy from a mail order discount or from a brick and mortar dealer? The reason this is important is that discount mail order mandos are almost never set up after the factory and are very often difficult to fret comfortably and will often play out of tune as you go up the neck. These adjustments are called "setting up" a mando and it is doubly important with a mando as they have short strings under high tension, compared with a guitar. So only being a little out of adjustment can make a lot of difference on a mandolin. Getting your mando set up, if it is not, is really money well spent

We hope you feel free to ask questions and comment on various topics of interest. I think the hard part may come in about six months when many folks give up or lose interest. But I think that if you play every day you will make progress and likely succeed in the long term.

Welcome!

Welcome to this wild, wacky world. What helped me most were playing in jams and trying to play along with CD's of music I liked. Good luck and have fun.

12. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

apar87 

Welcome! The beginning mando years are fun -- seeing yourself progress so quickly is an incredible thing. Enjoy the ride!

14. The following members say thank you to Marc Ferry for this post:

apar87 

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apar87 View Post
    If anyone has any tips on how to excel with this instrument, good places to look up tabs or anything else mandolin related I am completely ok with suggestions.
    Well you already found the #1 source for info! In addition to the Cafe, be sure to frequent http://www.mandozine.com/. Paired with that, get Tefview if you don't already have it, and then find the massive Tef file resource at Mandozine. That should keep you busy for the next few decades.

Enjoy!

16. The following members say thank you to Douglas McMullin for this post:

apar87 

Welcome Amanda, I'm a newbie too. This site is an awesome resource.

18. The following members say thank you to TexHawk for this post:

apar87 

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

Welcome!
    If you don't mind working from a book, I liked the Hal Leonard Mandolin Method with the CD. It got me going! I still go back to it, bcause the arrangements are nice, too.
    There are some great resources on this site, as others mentioned.
    One thing I have learned, after being a newbie of almost two years, is to learn alternate picking. I wish I had understood it better when I first started, so I am still working on that.
    I recommend finding a teacher, either via Skype or in person, so you get feedback on your progress.
    Have fun picking!
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

20. The following members say thank you to Cecily_Mandoliner for this post:

apar87 

Blog Entries

Welcome Amanda. The mandolin is a great instrument and it grows and grows on you. I have found myself selling much of my electric guitars and amplifiers to acquire mandolins. I think I have come down with a serious case of MAS. Glad you have joined!

22. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

apar87 

I experienced the same thing, guitar never really grabbed me, but when I discovered mandolin, I was quickly hooked. As Mike Marshall recently said on his online special "the Mandolin the King of instruments". Of course, he is prejudiced.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

24. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

apar87 

I actually bought that book and a book that is nothing but chords =D

Quote Originally Posted by Cecily_Mandoliner View Post
    Welcome!
    If you don't mind working from a book, I liked the Hal Leonard Mandolin Method with the CD. It got me going! I still go back to it, bcause the arrangements are nice, too.
    There are some great resources on this site, as others mentioned.
    One thing I have learned, after being a newbie of almost two years, is to learn alternate picking. I wish I had understood it better when I first started, so I am still working on that.
    I recommend finding a teacher, either via Skype or in person, so you get feedback on your progress.
    Have fun picking!

Good name Welcome!

If you can, find yourself a good teacher. You'll go further faster, and you'll find out good technique. I started playing mandolin at age 20 after playing guitar since age 11, and I was surprised at the many differences in technique between guitar and mandolin, especially in the right hand.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

27. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

Welcome Amanda!

I'm learning and using the book 'Play Mandolin Today' which teaches you sight reading among other things. It's a blast. The mandolin is quickly addictive. A helpful too for me is videoing myself so I can "see" where I need improvement. Enjoy the journey!
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Welcome Amanda!

Best to you on your mandolin journey!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Hi and welcome aboard. I am a guitar player that still plays guitar and always will. When I finally took up the mandolin, I found the instrument was fun and seemed pretty easy for me to understand. The mandolin also improved my flatpicking skills on guitar to boot. Now I am a Bluegrass guy and started with Bert Casey's Mandolin Primer. The book comes along with a CD so you can hear the lessons and also play along to songs that you will be learning. A great fun course in notation and tab. If you need a visual then there is a DVD that you can purchase that goes along with the book and cd. The course provides you with good basic skills to learn and gets you into playing songs and learning chords to boot. So I practice Mandolin almost every night for about 1 hour and then hop back to my guitar and practice on that and new Bluegrass songs I am working on for Jamming. Now this course does teach you scales in G, A, D and songs that go along and again you get a lot of good basic lessons that you will need to succeed and move on. This course was a lot of fun and you can progress quickly and also be challanged as well where you will need more practice and time, which is a good thing, but you pick up a lot of fundamentals that you can use in a lot of music for mandolin and not just bluegrass.

Check this thread for the free Rob Meldrum e-book on setup. It comes highly recommended by Cafe members.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling