Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grab a lesson before I go

Default Grab a lesson before I go

Hey folks,

Here's a bittersweet post: in about a year, there is a good chance I will no longer be living on the East Coast, because I'll be done with graduate school and starting a job who-knows-where.

Before I go, I thought it would be fun to try to grab a lesson in person with a few folks in my area, broadly construed. I'm looking for recommendations. Who would be your dream teachers? Who is actually available? Lately I play mostly bluegrass, but that's not constraining.

I was thinking about asking Andy Statman, but I have no idea if he would take a student out of the blue for a lesson or two.

Will be curious to see your responses.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Grab a lesson before I go

Definitely Andy. One of these days I'm going to make it to the big city and take a lesson from Andy. I've also taken a couple lessons from Frank Wakefield, a little farther from you, but worth the drive IMHO. Those are the 2 I'd recommend, but definitely Andy.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

3. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Adam Steffey is in Johnson City Tennessee and might be willing to give it a run.
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

5. The following members say thank you to David Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I've also taken a couple lessons from Frank Wakefield, a little farther from you, but worth the drive IMHO.
    Don, where does Frank hang out these days? Do you know if he is still taking students?
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Saratoga springs ny. He's on Facebook--I'm sure you could find out if you could get a lesson. It's worth the $ just to hear that Loar from a few feet away for an hour and watch his right hand up close.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

8. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I took a lesson from Andy last summer and am about to be out there again and will contact him to see if he is free. I also had a great lesson from Michael Daves -- he is also a mandolin player -- he is pretty expensive though.

"I also had a great lesson from Michael Daves -- he is also a mandolin player -- he is pretty expensive though."

Out of pure curiosity: Roughly how much is "pretty expensive" for like an hour lesson? I have never had a lesson, and probably never will, but Michael Graves is really impressive and I think we might speak the same language music-wise. What little I have seen\heard of his mando playing I like very much. This is probably just a pipe-dream on my part and I wouldn't want to be embarrassed by asking him and then having to reject the idea for financial reasons.

If the above question is out of line I apologize.
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-15-2014 at 7:41pm.

JWalterWeatherman, if you don't feel like sharing Michael's rates on the public forum, I'm sure Bart and I would appreciate a PM. I'm also curious about how much is "pretty expensive."
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Another one to consider is Barry Mitterhoff. He is an excellent teacher and plays in many genres.

I took a few lessons from Andy Statman way back in the 1980s -- it might have been from even before he got into Klezmer -- and he is a real phenomenon but i wasn't quite sure what i wanted to learn from him at that time. I was not really into bluegrass and I am not sure he could figure out what he could teach me. no reflection on him or his teaching style.

As for teaching rates from top notch players: I am planning on taking some lessons from a prominent irish fiddler and his rates are $40 per half hour and $80 per hour, which seemed reasonable for the greater NY area and for the quality of teaching and the experience of the teacher.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote "$40 per half hour and $80 per hour " No discount for one hour ?

Regarding Michael Graves.. One if the coolest things about him is his mando. While others play several thousands of dollar Gibsons, he plays an old pre-war(?) Harmony and it sounds just fine.

Nevermind, JWalter, I see that Michael has actually posted his rates on his site: http://www.michaeldaves.net/lessons/policies.htm
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Regarding Michael Graves.. One if the coolest things about him is his mando. While others play several thousands of dollar Gibsons, he plays an old pre-war(?) Harmony and it sounds just fine.
    Who is Michael Graves? Do you mean Daves? I can't find any online photos of MD playing mandolin but he seems to be into cheapo Harmony guitars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think he must mean Daves. In any case, Michael Daves does indeed play mandolin. Check this out:

Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

To Kim Garber:

Sorry!! My mistake. Of course I meant Michael Daves.
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-16-2014 at 11:39am. Reason: speling

Sorry to be cryptic about Dave's pricing. When I took a lesson from him his rate was 90/hour as the posted prices are for regular students that commit to a month at a time. He was also only offering intensive lessons (2+ hours). However, I must say that the lesson I had with him has been extremely influential on my playing over the past year. He is extremely talented.

Andy on the other hand charges $100 for a lesson, which in my case exceeded an hour

21. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    To Kim Garber:

Sorry!! My mistake. Of course I meant Michael Daves.
    To Mart BcNeil: Apology axcepted!! Kim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Were I a beginner that would sound like an awful lot of money, but a single one hour of critique and suggestions to improve my playing would be well worth the money I suspect... It is definitely worth considering... (as long as I don't tell my wife)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

these are legends of the mandolin and they're cheaper than my plumber.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

25. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    these are legends of the mandolin and they're cheaper than my plumber.

f-d
    That's a great way of putting it. If I had Andy in my backyard, I'd plop down my $100 every month or so and think it was money well spent.

This is a really good idea for a thread. I should start one for the bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    That's a great way of putting it. If I had Andy in my backyard, I'd plop down my $100 every month or so and think it was money well spent.

This is a really good idea for a thread. I should start one for the bay area.
    Please do - not really clear to me if Mike Marshall does lessons anymore, but he used to do them in Oakland for $100/hr.

If I was close to Daves I would totally be getting a lesson. Though I didn't even know he played mandolin.

I first heard him on the album he did with Chris Thile, honestly that's the only album I like that Chris is in. He's an amazing mando player, not a fan of most of his music though. But michael daves, I love all his stuff.

Like others said, those rates don't seem so ridiculous for such high profile musicians

100/hr for a personal lesson with mike marshall? He could charge twice that and people would take him up

I was looking into taking guitar lessons from Daves when I lived in NYC 5 years ago. Unless things have changed quite a bit, he doesn't have a lot of openings for new students. It is also easier to get a lesson if you travel to him in Brooklyn.

fatt-dad wrote:
    "these are legends of the mandolin and they're cheaper than my plumber."

Yes but these "legends of mandolin" don't have to stick their hands in places your plumber does.