Thread: stolen eastman md515 in Halifax?

Default stolen eastman md515 in Halifax?

Anyone know of one that was recently stolen in the area? A conspicuously cheap one just popped up on kijiji and I would love to snap it up but am leery of buying a stolen one.
    Last edited by Franc Homier Lieu; Jul-16-2014 at 5:57pm.

Default Re: stolen eastman md515 in Halifax?

Maybe she's about to go on vacation.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Hard to say. If you are nearby, meet up with the seller and see what the situation feels like. Could be all kinds of reasons other than it being stolen.

So did you check it out? Other than being "cheap" were there any other indicators that would make you think it was stolen? It's a pretty brazen way to get rid of stolen goods although I'm sure it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolegs View Post
    So did you check it out? Other than being "cheap" were there any other indicators that would make you think it was stolen? It's a pretty brazen way to get rid of stolen goods although I'm sure it happens.
    The way the local classifieds work around here is, everybody wants to get their money back. Endless Epiphone guitars, mandos and banjos with asking prices which just happen to be the current retail value plus tax. So when someone puts a mint 1000 dollar mandolin up for 500 bucks, it is a bit suspicious. I contacted the seller shortly after the ad was posted. When I did, her first question was 'can you pick it up tonight.' I have bought and sold a dozen instruments on kijiji in the past year or so, and the only other person who was in such a hurry was the guy who sold me a stolen Eastman 315 (I realized it soon after and returned it to the store from which it was stolen). Anyway, I kept in contact with the seller, but hesitated, and it sold this evening to someone else. It probably was not stolen, but there was something going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    The way the local classifieds work around here is, everybody wants to get their money back. Endless Epiphone guitars, mandos and banjos with asking prices which just happen to be the current retail value plus tax. So when someone puts a mint 1000 dollar mandolin up for 500 bucks, it is a bit suspicious. I contacted the seller shortly after the ad was posted. When I did, her first question was 'can you pick it up tonight.' I have bought and sold a dozen instruments on kijiji in the past year or so, and the only other person who was in such a hurry was the guy who sold me a stolen Eastman 315 (I realized it soon after and returned it to the store from which it was stolen). Anyway, I kept in contact with the seller, but hesitated, and it sold this evening to someone else. It probably was not stolen, but there was something going on.

When eBay first started, I probably spent 12-14 hours a day searching the newly listed Buy It Now's looking for deals to resell. You are correct, most retailers and individuals want close to retail. I would search through thousands and thousands of listings, refreshing, etc., mostly to find the same ol' predicatable stuff at retail asking prices. BUT, two or three times a day I would find something that I could double or triple my money on. So, back then, it was very much worth my time and soon became my full-time job. I never ran across anything stolen, but you are smart to be cautious.

On the other hand, my buddy is a professional wedding photographer and had his camera case stolen from his car. The police said be sure to check eBay, Craigslist, etc. He found it listed on eBay, guess what, in his same town even! The "seller" wanted $2500 (not sure what it was worth) my buddy arranges to meet to see it and brings the police and gets his stuff back. The "seller" got a free ride in a police car!

7. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

sgrexa 

I wanted to add that most of the better deals I got on eBay were from retired individuals who liked going to yard sales, estate sales, and auctions, rather than from retail establishments. Most of these people were working from the viewpoint that since they paid little or nothing for an item, they were happy to get whatever it brought, without regard to price guides or even eBay's completed items listing. It was mostly an activity to give them something to do, and maybe supplement their income.

Blog Entries

Outdated.
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Blog Entries

Outdated

There is another ad here fits this description. Thought this was a new thread till I looked at the date.
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

$515 is the street price as far as I am concerned...

Old threads and children and watermelon wine.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    $515 is the street price as far as I am concerned...
    In Canada the 515 currently retails for 1444, so when one turns up on kijiji, as new for 600, with a BS story about being a wall hanger to explain why it is pristine, and then the price is dropped to 550 three hours later....
    Last edited by vetus scotia; Dec-05-2015 at 11:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    In Canada the 515 currently retails for 1444, so when one turns up on kijiji, as new for 600, with a BS story about being a wall hanger to explain why it is pristine, and then the price is dropped to 550 three hours later....
    Oh yeah, the old Eastman wallhanger story... crazy stuff. You gotta keep warm...