Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescued from the Bat Cave.

Default Rescued from the Bat Cave.

I recently finished this restoration of the Harmony "Bat Wing". It was in fair shape anyway. It has a sweet tone, not a lot of volume but with crystal clear highs that sing and sometimes I can't put it down. It has a solid top, rosewood fingerboard and bridge and genuine mother of plastic headstock veneer. I like the cool "f" holes. This was given to me by my mother-in-law back in the 80's from her deceased uncle's estate. Came with original case and the paper Harmony hang tag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	121717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	121716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	121720  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	121719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	121718  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rescued from the Bat Cave.

I've always dug those. You did a great job.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Looks very nice. I've got the electrified version, which gives all the volume you could want plugged in. Not much when not plugged in. You could always add a pickup.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

As we used to say, "that's so far out, it's IN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    As we used to say, "that's so far out, it's IN!"
    Exactly

Nice job...

I have a Bat Wing somebody used as a baseball bat.. Really... pushed the entire front all the way to the back. Otherwise barely used. No fret wear at all. Case looks brand new. I put it back together and reinforced the front and cleated the cracks in the back. I really love the looks of these. and the fact that they relate to Yank Rachel. Mine was electric but someone must have salvaged the electronics. I may, or may not, try to replace them. I am guessing that someone threw a major tantrum just after getting it.

You don't even need to know how to play it! Just pick it up and hold it and you are the coolest dude in town! The chicks will flock to you!!! I guarantee it!!!
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-20-2014 at 3:25pm. Reason: speling

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Looks very nice. I've got the electrified version, which gives all the volume you could want plugged in. Not much when not plugged in. You could always add a pickup.
    I told my wife,"honey I want to buy a new pickup" and she said "what's wrong with the truck you have". I'm going to keep this one stock, I think these baby's are rare. Nice to know you have one too. I've seen the electrified version on-line in the Google search images and those pickups must also be rare. Now you've started me thinking that maybe I could amplify it with some detachable pickup and enjoy its sweet bell like tones through the amp. Just curious.. does the one you have say Harmony on the pick guard?

The fact that you saved one is testimony to how cool it is. On yours the finish probably took a hit but nice frets and a like new case is just icing on the cake. The tuning machine gear wheels on mine have many teeth, very fine tuning. I think these batwings are rare, can't be many left, some of them were used as baseball bats.

In fact I was looking for a wreck that could be restored and so I asked for such a mando on this site if I recall. The seller had bought it to repair but it was too big a job for him so he sold it fairly cheaply because it was close to unsellable, except for parts. I was very interested in Yank Rachael at the time So this was just the ticket for me. I have the body repaired and still have some work to do on the binding and then paint the body. If it works out as well as I think it should it will look almost new. I suspect I will plug the electronics holes and play it as a standard non-electrified mando. But it will always be ready to accept electronics if i decide to go that route.

11. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

By the way they are not that hard to find. There are normally one or two and sometimes several more for sale on eBay or Craigs List. I think if someone wanted one they could get one pretty fast. But of course people tend to over value them dollar wise. I would say that $300 might get you one in reasonable restorable shape.

double post
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-20-2014 at 8:04pm. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    In fact I was looking for a wreck that could be restored and so I asked for such a mando on this site if I recall. The seller had bought it to repair but it was too big a job for him so he sold it fairly cheaply because it was close to unsellable, except for parts. I was very interested in Yank Rachael at the time So this was just the ticket for me. I have the body repaired and still have some work to do on the binding and then paint the body. If it works out as well as I think it should it will look almost new. I suspect I will plug the electronics holes and play it as a standard non-electrified mando. But it will always be ready to accept electronics if i decide to go that route.
    I can honestly say I never heard of Yank Rachael before and you turned me on to something new and very interesting. I Googled Mr. Rachel and there are many images of him on line playing the electric batwing. Also listened to a few cuts on Youtube. who knew. Thanks for the reference, I've learned I could use a little more funk in my style.

Yes. Rachael is the "go to guy" for blues mandolin. If you are interested I would recommend the book Mandolin Blues from Memphis to Maxwell Street by Rich Delgrosso. Basic blues techniques plus some interesting blues history and photos of early blues mando players.

Del Grosso is one of the leading blues mando players today and writes for this site occasionally. Lots of his stuff on the internet. Google him and you'll find his videos and some videos of his group teaching.

Join the Blues Mandolin social group for more blues videos and blues mandolin information and reviews. Some very good stuff.

Also check out Gerry Hunt on his Harmony batwing singing the blues. there are other good stuff after his on rhe video, including some instructional stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXK...=RDQAXKS9JVNYA
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Jul-21-2014 at 8:29am.

16. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

Thanks Bart, as a mostly bluegrass and fiddle tune player I'm looking forward to exploring a new avenue for the mandolin. Thanks for the link and all the great information.

I got an electric one from '70. It has the original receipt from '71. I find them difficult to play as there is no or very minimal neck angle. the neck and string taper a lot by the time they reach the bridge so they are to wide apart. Sound is not is bad when not plugged in and even plugged in there is tons of sustain on the bottom end strings. Almost sounds more tubby than an older Gibson "A". But it is cool anyway.

19. The following members say thank you to Tom C for this post:

Mine does not say Harmony on the pick guard.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

21. The following members say thank you to Chief for this post:

Very cool, and great work! Got any "before" pics?

I just won the eBay auction for one of the Korean copies that aren't branded Harmony but look virtually identical. I will probably start a post about it when I get it. Mine is also the acoustic version, but I plan to electrify it asap.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

23. The following members say thank you to Darren Kern for this post:

Hudmister:
    You might also like the Steve James video on playing blues madolin if you prefer learning from videos. Pretty good stuff on blues techniques. There are two videos but they cover essentially the same techniques so either would be good. But you don't need both.

25. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

Regarding learning videos:

I might add that each James video features different tunes and different mandos so maybe one might like both. But as far as basic learning is concerned one is probably enough. He is a good teacher and a fine musician.

27. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

Hudmister:
    You might also like the Steve James video on playing blues madolin if you prefer learning from videos. Pretty good stuff on blues techniques. There are two videos but they cover essentially the same techniques so either would be good. But you don't need both.
    I do prefer learning from videos so thanks for the lead. I'm looking forward to getting some blues licks together.

Hudmister:
    Re: Steve James.. Divin Duck blues, YouTube , wow that's the deal. Staccato magician and amazing voice, with the actual John Sebastian of 70's fame.. it's got to be him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Kern View Post
    Very cool, and great work! Got any "before" pics?

I just won the eBay auction for one of the Korean copies that aren't branded Harmony but look virtually identical. I will probably start a post about it when I get it. Mine is also the acoustic version, but I plan to electrify it asap.
    I would love to see a photo of a Korean "Batwing".

The batwing really is the ugly duckling of the mandolin world. I love the look.

32. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The batwing really is the ugly duckling of the mandolin world. I love the look.
    Ditto that. I love being the owner of one and I always keep it in the case a night so it can't fly away.

I just glanced at eBay and I think you could get a nice one for less than the $300 mentioned above. Again it basically depends on how much if any work you want to do on the mando. I'll bet you can get a niece one for $150 or two hundred if you accept some finish flaws or a minor fixable crack.

35. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post: