Thread: Martin 45-AK?

Default Martin 45-AK?

Hey all,

This 1983 Martin mandolin has popped up fairly consistently in the classifieds, and no one seems to want to bite. The price seems steep, and it looks awful different from the 20's thru 70's Martin mandolins (individual closed gear tuners, side abalone trim, headstock is a hybrid shape). Definitely a standalone in terms of production. I played an all-koa Martin at Grey Fox over the weekend and its owner said she had acquired it for just over a thousand smackeroos quite recently. It sounded just fine. And, there's a 20's AK on evilBay at the moment with a current bid of $760. Nothing earth-shattering, but very sweet and present tone nonetheless. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181468958120

That being said... does anyone have any interest in this thing? and is $6500 a fair price? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77877
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Default Re: Martin 45-AK?

Quote Originally Posted by dchernack View Post
    Hey all,
    does anyone have any interest in this thing? and is $6500 a fair price? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77877
    I personally have no interest in it, and I think fair is in the eyes of the beholder. However, if the price was fair, I would surmise it would have sold long ago.

It's a blinged-up "one-of" for Martin's 150th anniversary in 1983. Projected collector value is why it's listed so high. Apparently the right Martin collector hasn't shown up.

And, I'm not he, either...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

As best I can recall ('cause i can't find the thread!), I gave some hypothetical reasons to come to somewhere around that price when the question was asked several years ago. The primary argument against my logic (a point that I had missed) is that the instrument had been special-ordered by a private individual, that is, it was NOT a factory-special built to commemorate the 150th anniversary, regardless of who signed it. That seems to give it a lot less "cred" among the collector types, and maybe almost zero value beyond a standard production mandolin. That is, whatever is real nice about it just sort of negates whatever is non-standard personalization about it. Not necessarily accurate, but that's my current recollection.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

If that's true Ed, then the "pool" of interested collectors is probably slim pickens...I would have been slightly interested if it was the Martin style mando that had 'F' holes vs the oval hole...
    Last edited by DataNick; Jul-21-2014 at 4:51pm. Reason: spelling
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Whether it was built on Martin's initiative, or special-ordered by a private customer, the instrument emerged as a "150th anniversary" keepsake, due to the notation on the pickguard.

"One-ofs" like this are sometimes of uncertain market value, especially if not associated with a well-known performer or celebrity. I'd guess the seller could get half of his asking price fairly readily from a collector, but I'm not sure what player would be that interested.

Gruhn for years listed an ornate Gibson F-5 that had been given appointments similar to the old Florentine Gibson banjos -- custom painted fingerboard, etc. I believe, if memory doesn't fail me, that the late Butch Baldassari owned it at one point. It was priced at a premium over F-5's of similar vintage, though not many orders of magnitude. Took a long time to sell, I believe; ornamentation and uniqueness don't always add up to market desirability.

Pics here if the Google search works...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My memory sometimes plays tricks on me, so I can't be absolutely sure of this. It seems to me though that the last time this 'collector's item' was listed, the asking price was much, much lower.

This mandolin has been listed here a few times, and I think it was for quite a bit more money. I can't speak to what it's worth; the market will decide that. I do think it's an awfully nice looking instrument though. I hope it finds a buyer soon who is a player and will appreciate it. If I were in the market for such an instrument, I'd be interested in this one.

My question is, how is 1883 to 1983 150 years. Is that the new math?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    My question is, how is 1883 to 1983 150 years. Is that the new math?
    Wouldn't it be funny if that typo were actually on the pick guard?

Earlier versions of this ad claimed that the seller had received offers of 6500-7500 bucks, and that the mandolin had been appraised at twice that. When I contacted the seller to ask about the appraisal, he refused to tell me by whom it had been appraised. Never did ask why the heck he turned down those offers.

But my favourite part of the older versions of the ad was the 'threat' that if it did not sell here, it would go to auction in New York. I guess it did not, or maybe it did and did not find a buyer there either.
    Last edited by Franc Homier Lieu; Jul-22-2014 at 5:49am.

11. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

I wonder how he came by this thing. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time; now he's stuck with a white elephant.

I have a problem with the block lettering on the pickguard. It's not what you'd call "elegant" . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Maybe he was offered enough money but it wasn't going to go to a good enough home?

I would be curious to know what it sold for in 1983.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I wonder how he came by this thing. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time; now he's stuck with a white elephant. . . .
    BB King's advice still resonates. Never make your move too soon.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I wonder if the seller of the 45-AK and this guy know each other:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instru...ationFlag=true