Thread: DR Mandolin Strings: "Rare" and.... "non-rare".. (?)

Default DR Mandolin Strings: "Rare" and.... "non-rare".. (?)

Seems like DR topics are popular around the net so I figured this would be appropriate since I haven't seen any actual discussions/advice on this. Otherwise I'd have to hijack a pre-existing thread to ask.. ;)

My simple question is..
    What in the world is the difference between DR mando strings being labeled "Rare" in the phosphor-bronze sets, and the others which look the same but are not titled "rare"?

I recently bought an Eastman 305 (from the classifieds here, actually), and it has a slightly used set of the Rare-Lites on it. I really like the tone and punch, thinking of buying a new set but finding this predicament online, and I imagine some others are probably wondering as well.

Before now I've always used Martins. Just threw on a new set to compare the sound, and from I can tell it seems that the DRs were definitely contributing to the sound.

Default Re: DR Mandolin Strings: "Rare" and.... "non-rare".. (?)

It's just a product family name. Ernie Ball has "Slinkies", DR has "Rare", "Hi-Beams", and others. The DR mandolin strings are all part of the Rare product family, as currently offered. I wouldn't worry about whether "Rare" is in the seller's listing or not. That might change if they offer a different style of mandolin string in the future, but for now you just have to look at what gauge you're getting.

Thanks for the reply, by cross referencing to the DR site I figured out that the two different packages on the market for these phosphor bronze sets are indeed the same. They wield the same product# .. "MD-10". Just changed the packaging along the way, or something, it seems -- whilst both are still circulating.

Whilst not claiming to be the 'main' advocate of DR strings on here, my posts regarding them have prompted a few players to try them & the response has usually been very positive. Having used D'Addario J74's for close to 9 years,the DR strings came as something of a reveletion when i began to use them. The DR10's are 'lights' (lites ?),but try a set of the MD11 mediums & you could be in for a surprise.They're the same gauges as J74's but a far more powerful string. Interestingly enough,when they first came out,the MD11's had a .016" 'A' string, it's now .015" & the .016" 'A' string is now part of the MD12 'heavies' set. In the MD12 set,the E/A & G strings are only .001" thicker & the D string is .002" thicker than the MD11 mediums,so they're not exactly steel hawsers !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.